Staying Warm in the Cold

Old November 15th 07, 04:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc, rec.bicycles.tech

Default Staying Warm in the Cold

On Nov 13, 9:39 pm, Steve Sr. wrote:
Hello,

It is that time of year when the mercury is steadily falling. Even in
North Carolina it has been getting cold enough lately to bring out the
long sleeves and tights.

I have a lot of the cold issues sorted out as far as what equipment to
wear at what temperature. However, I still have one nagging problem.

That problem is with my chest and inside of my arms getting cold in
the front while my back sweats. I have tried different layering
schemes but none seem to work very well. The layers consist of a long
sleeve jersey, short sleeve jersey, and a thin fleece jacket if
temperatures are cold enough.

All of these seem to have the same problem. They appear to breathe too
well in the front and not well enough in the back.

One question that comes to mind is how tight should these layers be? I
don't seem to have problem with my legs being cold or sweating. Is
that because of the material that the tights are made of or is it
because they are contacting every square inch of skin continuously?

My torso layers are not real loose but are not nearly as tight as my
tights? Could this be the problem with my torso getting cold in the
front while sweating in the back?

Thanks for any insight.

Steve

I have a nice Pearl Izumi Kodiak Jacket that I wear down below 30. It
blocks the wind in front and is thin and breathable in the back.
Usually, I just wear a short sleeve jersey under it. When it is
colder, I wear a long sleeve jersey under it. I'm a pretty warm
blooded fella though. I find that toe covers and wool socks are
sufficient to keep my feet warm in even the coldest conditions.

The Kodiak replaced a PI Amfib jacket that was quite nice too.
Windproof in front and breathable in back. It was warmer than the
Kodiak. Both I bought on sale for considerable markdowns.

You might also get a vest and wear it over your jersey system. most
of them are ventilated in the back and windproof in the front.

Cheers,