Cracking Noise from Headset Area

Old October 7th 09, 10:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
ItsFred

Default Cracking Noise from Headset Area

Hi I recently had a new-old-stock Pinarello Paris built up and it's
making a terrifying noise. When I hit an irregularity in the paving at
any speed I get a sharp cracking-splitting noise in the front of the
bike. A couple of times it sure sounded like the steerer tube had
coughed it up. My mechanic inspected the steerer and said everything
looked OK and maybe the bearings in the internal headset were just
settling in. He couldn't replicate the noise by riding over a curb. I
think maybe that curb action just compressed the steerer rather than
stressing it forward or back like a pothole might. Anyway, there's no
obvious play in the headset (you know, the old squeeze the brakes and
torque the front end test), and the bike rides OK (actually it rides
great). But clearly there's something wrong and I don't want to
discover the problem the hard way. Does anybody have any suggestions?
Old October 8th 09, 01:27 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Chalo

ItsFred wrote:

Hi I recently had a new-old-stock Pinarello Paris built up and it's
making a terrifying noise. When I hit an irregularity in the paving at
any speed I get a sharp cracking-splitting noise in the front of the
bike.

Assuming that's a plastic bike, noises like that are generally very
bad news. As in unsafe to ride unless specifically and conclusively
identified as benign.

Chalo
Old October 8th 09, 01:59 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
ItsFred

On Oct 7, 8:27*pm, Chalo wrote:
ItsFred wrote:

Hi I recently had a new-old-stock Pinarello Paris built up and it's
making a terrifying noise. When I hit an irregularity in the paving at
any speed I get a sharp cracking-splitting noise in the front of the
bike.

Assuming that's a plastic bike, noises like that are generally very
bad news. *As in unsafe to ride unless specifically and conclusively
identified as benign.

Chalo

Yes it's a plastic bike with a plastic steerer, and I was afraid you'd
say that Chalo!
Old October 8th 09, 03:14 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Cicero Venatio

Assuming that's a plastic bike, noises like that are generally very
bad news. As in unsafe to ride unless specifically and conclusively
identified as benign.

Chalo

Yes it's a plastic bike with a plastic steerer, and I was afraid you'd
say that Chalo!

------
cracked the steerer by tightening the stem bolts too much? Does the
average guy really need a plastic steerer?
Old October 8th 09, 09:42 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
someone

On Oct 7, 10:48*pm, ItsFred wrote:
[...]

The noise is not a good sign. If I've read this correctly, initial
visual inspections of the bike and specifically of the fork assembly
(including headset security) show nothing. The noise could be
originating from the handlebar assembly. Ride to recreate the noise
and if there is a marked difference between holding and releasing the
handlebars then the bar assembly or its interface with the steerer
seems a likely candidate for the noise. Following this, see if using
different wheel types makes any difference, and if not, start
simplifying the bike to locate the source of the problem.

Old October 8th 09, 02:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
pastasugo

On Oct 8, 10:42*am, someone wrote:
[...]

I bought a used Merckx carbon bike and needed a shorter stem. When
installing ,I tightened the stem bolts without the FSA compressor cap
tightened (doh!) and heard a loud crack. Took the stem back off and
could see nothing wrong with the carbon steerer. Rode for weeks/
months but occasionally when dismounted and turning the bars very far
left (almost touching the top tube), the sound recurred. I finally
took the fork completely off, and found the crack- it was in the
portion of the steerer normally hidden inside the head tube, and was
all the way from inside to outside of the steerer. Ordered a
replacement fork from the Merckx distributor for €120 and was back on
wheels in a week. No noises since.
Old October 8th 09, 07:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
D'ohBoy

On Oct 7, 4:48*pm, ItsFred wrote:
[...]

I had a very similar noise from the front end of my Storck. Turns out
the handlebar was rotating ever-so-slightly with a pothole or deep
crack hit.

Each rotation made a sharp cracking noise as if there were something
severely wrong with the fork. It wasn't until a ride in which the bar
rotated like 10 degrees with one hit that I figured it out. Kept re-
assembling the threadless headset but that wasn't it.

Yours sounds exactly like my issue.

D'ohBoy
Old October 8th 09, 11:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

On Oct 8, 1:39*pm, "D'ohBoy" wrote:
On Oct 7, 4:48*pm, ItsFred wrote:

[...]

Resin on resin? I can imagine it makes a fierce cracking sound. Time
to grease the stem bolts and apply a torque wrench.

Each rotation made a sharp cracking noise as if there were something
severely wrong with the fork. *It wasn't until a ride in which the bar
rotated like 10 degrees with one hit that I figured it out. *Kept re-
assembling the threadless headset but that wasn't it.

Yours sounds exactly like my issue.

Could be. Could also be a bunged up headset install--like somebody got
stoned behind the shop and forgot to put an expander collar in the
stack. ;-)

Old October 9th 09, 01:46 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John Thompson

On 2009-10-08, Cicero Venatio wrote:

cracked the steerer by tightening the stem bolts too much? Does the
average guy really need a plastic steerer?

The average guy doesn't need a plastic bike, either.

--

-John )
Old October 9th 09, 01:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
D'ohBoy

On Oct 8, 5:16 pm, landotter wrote:
On Oct 8, 1:39 pm, "D'ohBoy" wrote:

On Oct 7, 4:48 pm, ItsFred wrote:

[...]

Actually, NOT resin on resin (i.e., carbon bar and stem). I have a
Easton alloy bar and Thomson stem. I was sure there was something
seriously wrong with the fork or head tube or headset but could not
find anything.

Think it was the small amount of rotation combined with how quickly it
occurred that caused the character of the noise.

Anyhoo, reinstallation of the bar and use of a torque wrench to mfr
spec on the bar clamp bolts fixed it for good.

Also briefly heard this when using that lamea** Ritchey liquid torque
crap. Wonder if there were remnants on the bar clamp area
contributing to the issue? They claim it works on everything but
actually, it works on nothing.

D'ohBoy

Cracking down on bad driving RudiL UK 0 May 26th 09 01:24 PM
Clicking/popping noise from rear hub area? BC Techniques 9 November 27th 05 03:32 AM
creaking noise in stem/headset Arnaud UK 5 June 15th 04 11:07 PM
Noise around crank area? Urban Sherpa General 6 April 1st 04 12:51 PM
MA2 rim cracking - what might be causing this? David Green Techniques 89 March 10th 04 08:02 AM