Flat repair

Old August 15th 18, 12:27 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

Default Flat repair

On Tuesday, August 14, 2018 at 2:02:36 PM UTC-7, wrote:
On Tuesday, August 14, 2018 at 1:35:34 PM UTC-7, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Tuesday, August 14, 2018 at 12:47:13 PM UTC-4, wrote:
Snipped

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4i0ttwnSszY

pfff.....

Lou

I like how they used a TUBE for the repair. Might as well just use a tube tire in the first place.

Cheers

Why? So that you can get five times the flats as a tubeless setup gets?

Let me ask you again - why do you suppose that every other rubber tired vehicle has changed to tubeless?

Why does every other rubber tired vehicle have a motor? Why does one of my car tires weigh ten pounds more than my gravel bike? Why is there air? Are you my mother? https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1...9l/9796900.jpg So many questions!

Really, if flats are not a big deal, then dealing with latex goop, buying special tires, pumps, valves, rims, etc. is not attractive. If you live in goatheadville, then it is. I might give it a whirl, though -- right after I get done cleaning my chain. https://www.sheldonbrown.com/chainclean.html

-- Jay Beattie.
Old August 15th 18, 12:58 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_4_]

Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Tuesday, August 14, 2018 at 5:02:36 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Tuesday, August 14, 2018 at 1:35:34 PM UTC-7, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Tuesday, August 14, 2018 at 12:47:13 PM UTC-4, wrote:
Snipped

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4i0ttwnSszY

pfff.....

Lou

I like how they used a TUBE for the repair. Might as well just use a
tube tire in the first place.

Cheers

Why? So that you can get five times the flats as a tubeless setup gets?

Let me ask you again - why do you suppose that every other rubber tired
vehicle has changed to tubeless?

Even when I do loaded (40 to 50 lbs of gear, food and water)touring for
two weeks or so on dirt/gravel/trails in northern Ontario Canada I get
very few flats in my 26" x 2.125" tires with INNER TUBES. Most trips I
don't even get a flat. Why in the world would I want to mes with
something that can be so hard to repair? All I have to do if I do get a
flat is pull out the flatted tube, check the tire for any debris that has
caused the flat and then install the new tube and pump the tire to the
pressure needed. Then I can take my time in camp and repair the punctured
tube. Tubeless might be okay for some to many of us tubless is an answer
to a problem we don't have.

Cheers

Yeah like I said we’re in to August and I’ve had one flat this year. Took
5 minutes to replace the tube and fill it with co2. Most seasons I get 2
or 3 max unless there’s some anomaly. Usually due to pot holes on crappy
Quebec roads. Don’t remember the last time I had a puncture flat. I was
using Spec Pro tires and now Conti GP 4000s. Both have flat protection
that seems to work.

--
duane
Old August 15th 18, 01:29 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B. Slocomb

On Tue, 14 Aug 2018 15:12:12 -0700 (PDT), Sir Ridesalot
wrote:

[...]

In fact, except in unique situations - like the goat head thorns - I
suspect that flats are really pretty rare. At least on road bikes.
Riding in Bangkok my average is less then one a year which is hardly
enough to notice and it takes 5 to 10 minutes to change a tube, which
makes actual lost time due to flats in the neighborhood of 3 or 4
minutes a year. Hardly worth fooling with all the goo and gore to run
tubeless.

In fact, back when I was running sew-ups I had very few flats but of
course it takes much longer to repair those :-)
Old August 15th 18, 04:02 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 8/14/2018 5:02 PM, wrote:
On Tuesday, August 14, 2018 at 1:35:34 PM UTC-7, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Tuesday, August 14, 2018 at 12:47:13 PM UTC-4, wrote:
Snipped

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4i0ttwnSszY

pfff.....

Lou

I like how they used a TUBE for the repair. Might as well just use a tube tire in the first place.

Cheers

Why? So that you can get five times the flats as a tubeless setup gets?

Let me ask you again - why do you suppose that every other rubber tired vehicle has changed to tubeless?

You're beginning to sound like Joerg. "Why don't bicycles have chains as
strong as motorcycles? Why don't bicycles have integrated charging
systems and heated seats and power windows? Why don't bicycles protect
us from the rain?"

The requirements are different, so the engineering is different.
Bicycles don't have spare tires already mounted on wheels inside their
trunks. That alone is very significant.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old August 15th 18, 04:05 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

wrote:

[...]

I'm having a bad couple of months, with three flats since June. That's
way more than average. But it's still nowhere near the threshold that
will cause me to switch to tubeless. Each flat took me less than five
minutes on the road, and less than ten more minutes to patch the tube at
home.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old August 15th 18, 07:11 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Tuesday, August 14, 2018 at 11:05:55 PM UTC-4, Frank Krygowski wrote:
Snipped
I'm having a bad couple of months, with three flats since June. That's
way more than average. But it's still nowhere near the threshold that
will cause me to switch to tubeless. Each flat took me less than five
minutes on the road, and less than ten more minutes to patch the tube at
home.

--
- Frank Krygowski

Another BIG advantage of a tire and tube combination is that a bicyclist using those can get one just about anywhere even in a small town that has the bare basics for a bicycle.

Cheers
Old August 15th 18, 09:45 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B. Slocomb

On Tue, 14 Aug 2018 23:02:14 -0400, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

On 8/14/2018 5:02 PM, wrote:
[...]

His question is an exaggeration. Every rubber tired vehicle does not
use tubeless.

I was looking at the wheel chairs in the Hospital the other day and
they have foam filled tires.

I came across an article that stated that many "Container" carrier
trucks are still equipped with tubes.
https://www.quora.com/Why-are-tubed-...ses-and-trucks

Then I came across the Goodyear catalog for aircraft tires and see
that the "standard" tire for the 747 is a tube tire.

I could go on (and probably on) but it is obvious that the statement
that "every other rubber tired vehicle has changed to tubeless" just
isn't correct.

Or perhaps it is a matter of "every tire that HE KNOWS ABOUT" is
tubeless which says something about his qualifications as a tire
expert.
Old August 15th 18, 06:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Wednesday, August 15, 2018 at 12:26:14 AM UTC-7, news18 wrote:
On 14/08/18 08:48, wrote:
Obviously you like carrying around two tubes, a patch kit, two CO2 cartridges and a filler and a mini-pump because it seems romantic to you.

Speaking of weight, just how heavier are these tubeless systems compared
to the old tyre and tube system.

You are perfectly free to feel that the same technology used on every other rubber tired vehicle in the world is not suited to bicycles but if you're going to argue, don't use inadequate responses like "lock you in to their products"
or "testing procedures are only for very narrow test conditions." when this isn't the case at all. It is far easier to test bicycle tire performance than those of a motorcycles.

+++
How many of these "every other rubber tyred vehcicles" are not driven by
an ICE or similar power plant. P.S. you can leave out shopping trolleys.
.

Why are you arguing this? Tubeless tires are missing the weight of a tube. What's more, because the sealant is so reliable you can use lighter racing-style tires rather than armored tires such as the Gatorskins or the others of similar construction. The flat tests I presented earlier was a guy riding Continental 4000's - a racing tire that has minimal rolling resistance in the tests.
Old August 15th 18, 06:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

wrote:

On 8/14/2018 5:02 PM, wrote:
[...]

John, do you even bother to read the stuff you are posting? It plainly states in that article that they don't have tubeless tires because of the expense of upgrading to new style tires and rims.

If your argument is based, as most here appear, to be that you have an old bike for which conversion would cost more than the worth of the bike why the hell don't you argue THAT instead of using the phony arguments that they would be difficult to repair if you got the same sort of flat that would also make a tube tire worthless. The dumb-ass comment that you could fix one of these slashed open tires with a candybar wrapper is pretty inane. Or the claim that they don't get as good a performance when even the testing shows the theory of rolling resistance being less on a tire with less mass to e true as it is in every other case.

Look, I've been riding for 40 years. I've had a lot of flats. I have never successfully repaired a slashed tire with either an innertube section or ever found a candybar wrapper that would possibly hold anything together against the inflation pressure of a high performance tire.

As a sailor I could also repair sails with heavy needles and nylon string. I'm pretty sure you could sew up a tire well enough to make it home against inflation pressure but again - that would work equally well with a tube or tubeless tire.

Since Joerg complains of sidewall slashes from the way he rides I could understand his arguing against it. But 10:1 his sidewall failures are punctures that a tubeless setup would allow him to continue riding.