A Cycling & bikes forum. CycleBanter.com

Go Back   Home » CycleBanter.com forum » rec.bicycles » Techniques
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

And Another Try

Old February 17th 19, 04:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default And Another Try

I bought a set of Continental GP5000TL's. I don't know when they will be delivered. While browsing I discovered another set of super-cheap Chinese tubeless carbon deep section wheels.

My experience with the last set was using Michelin tires and as noted in another string they are not tubeless tires and before that one blew off of my aluminum tubeless rims they fit extremely tight.

Fitting the Maxxi tubeless tires I discovered that they were NOT as tight a mount as the Michelins were. Furthermore when inflated (when mounted correctly on the rim) you can pump them up with a common floor pump.

So that being said I decided that I was willing to give the cheap Chinese knock-offs another try. These are sold under a number of names but the reviews on them do not mention delamination.

Now the original 40 mm deep wheels completely disappears from three sources after I had that severe delamination problem. So perhaps they got the idea that the pre-preg has to be heat hardened before releasing and the newer 50 mm wheels won't have the same problems.

But now that I know what to look for it would be a great deal easier to immediately assemble them and ask for a complete refund if there is any signs of delamination.

As I said elsewhere the clinchers work terrific but I really don't like getting a flat on the roads I ride on that do not have enough road width to pull off and fix a flat.

The instant sealing of even moderately sized holes by the sealant is pretty remarkable. I had two flats and while I knew of one because it was a large rock stuck in my tire thumping as it rolled, the other was a perhaps 1 mm holes that I wasn't aware even happened until inspecting the front tire in the work stand and seeing perhaps something embedded in the tire. Picking at it revealed it to be the hardened rubber of the sealant that is so tough it didn't even wear off while I was on a 50 mile ride.

I'll keep you apprised of how it all goes.
Ads
Old February 18th 19, 08:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default And Another Try

On Sunday, February 17, 2019 at 7:52:51 AM UTC-8, wrote:
I bought a set of Continental GP5000TL's. I don't know when they will be delivered. While browsing I discovered another set of super-cheap Chinese tubeless carbon deep section wheels.

My experience with the last set was using Michelin tires and as noted in another string they are not tubeless tires and before that one blew off of my aluminum tubeless rims they fit extremely tight.

Fitting the Maxxi tubeless tires I discovered that they were NOT as tight a mount as the Michelins were. Furthermore when inflated (when mounted correctly on the rim) you can pump them up with a common floor pump.

So that being said I decided that I was willing to give the cheap Chinese knock-offs another try. These are sold under a number of names but the reviews on them do not mention delamination.

Now the original 40 mm deep wheels completely disappears from three sources after I had that severe delamination problem. So perhaps they got the idea that the pre-preg has to be heat hardened before releasing and the newer 50 mm wheels won't have the same problems.

But now that I know what to look for it would be a great deal easier to immediately assemble them and ask for a complete refund if there is any signs of delamination.

As I said elsewhere the clinchers work terrific but I really don't like getting a flat on the roads I ride on that do not have enough road width to pull off and fix a flat.

The instant sealing of even moderately sized holes by the sealant is pretty remarkable. I had two flats and while I knew of one because it was a large rock stuck in my tire thumping as it rolled, the other was a perhaps 1 mm holes that I wasn't aware even happened until inspecting the front tire in the work stand and seeing perhaps something embedded in the tire. Picking at it revealed it to be the hardened rubber of the sealant that is so tough it didn't even wear off while I was on a 50 mile ride.

I'll keep you apprised of how it all goes.

Yesterday I went for a ride with my Maxxis pumped up to only 80 psi. There was a rather remarkable difference in the ride from the previous rides I did at 100 psi and 90 psi. The Maxxis actually rode well and the rolling resistance wasn't noticeable.

Also after having sat around a couple of days the rather smallish looking tires sort of stretched out and measured almost identical to the Michelin 25 mm tires. When first mounted they seemed to have less depth and did not expand over the sides of the rims. So perhaps they need a bit of aging under pressure to bring them out to normal.

I also suspect that they will wear well. The line down the tire were the normal gap is in the mold didn't wear off and I have about 70 miles on the tires now. If that thin piece of rubber directly in the center of the rolling surface lasted this long, the compound must be pretty long lived.