Dynamo lights impress

Old January 27th 20, 06:25 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
news18

Default Dynamo lights impress

On Sun, 26 Jan 2020 19:48:54 -0800, Andre Jute wrote:

On Monday, January 27, 2020 at 2:16:15 AM UTC, James wrote:
On 25/1/20 2:20 pm, jbeattie wrote:
On Friday, January 24, 2020 at 5:21:34 PM UTC-8, James wrote:
This is for Jay in particular;

I rode my heavy gravel touring bike from the shed to the house the
other night. It was very dark, a couple of hours after sunset.
There's no light pollution where we live, and the moon wasn't
visible.

It is only about 30 metres, and my dynamo powered light illuminated
the ground so well I could see it in excellent detail while
travelling at little more than 10 km/h.

Viva la dynamo!

-- JS

Yes, but what about the glow from the fires? Use that light to locate
the koalas and throw them in your panniers and get them out of
danger! https://resize.hswstatic.com/w_907/gif/koalas-1.jpg

What I find mind-boggling is he domestic coverage showing
firefighters picking koalas out trees. Are they really that docile?
Can you just pick them up? Do they ever get mad?

They can be docile. One day out driving I saw one in the middle of the
road ahead. I stopped maybe 10 metres from it, as it just sat there.
They can bite and scratch, so I encouraged it off the road with a push
from my boot. It wandered off and that was that.

The ones in the fire affected areas are probably close to death from
dehydration and hunger, if they're not burned. They probably don't
have the energy to run away, and overcome their fear of humans and
allow themselves to be handled.

Most Australian animals have not had a boat load of predators to worry
about. Sometimes a dingo, and now cats and dogs. Smaller animals are
obviously threatened by snakes and raptors, but larger animals can
become indifferent to humans.

--
JS

Kangaroos living near towns can be aggressive towards people. On our
honeymoon one contested a path along a clifftop with us. We turned
around and returned the way we came. I wasn't about to indulge in a bout
of kickboxing with an animal that outweighed me. "I'll barbecue you yet,
Skippy," I said over my shoulder.

Cliff = wallaby. One of the smaller ones.

Even if it was Kuringai National Park where the "Skippy" TV series was
shot. In which case skipyhy would have answered "tut, tut, tut"*

In 1981/2 we were back Down Under for a conference I was chairing, and
outside our house in Adelaide lived a green lizard about 18 inches long
which determinedly defended its territory between the back door and the
pool. I don't suppose it was venomous but a scratch from its claws would
probably have required an injection. I picked it up by the scruff of its
neck and stared deeply into its eyes -- a procedure which works so well
on dogs that my family has a name for it: "Dad Rexified that dog and it
doesn't dig up our lawn any more" after an animal called Rex whose owner
accused me of stopping his valuable dog from breeding -- but the lizard
was making no connection with my personality and continued to be a
nuisance.

I knew an ex SAS solider who tried to do that to a goanna basking on a
inclining tee trunk, ONCE. He was at the time trying to do a "Harry
Butler" (TV nature presentor but also a knowledgeable university
professor on the subject) to a group of kids.

The goanna anticipated his intent and lept off the trunk and latched onto
his arm causing a bit of damage. Unfortunately help wasn't immediately
available as the teenage kids he had charge off mostly responded by
literally rolling on the ground laughing until some responded to his
cries of "get a log" (to beat it and make it release) and eventually it
did and then wandered off.

At least he didn't do a Steve Irwin (a later TV personality & crocodile
park owner) who managed to get himself stung and died trying to something
simlar to a sting ray.

Hint, thumb sticks also have other uses, apart from a walking stick.

* Queue an endless series of jokes that go "What did Skiipy say when
some bad event occurred.

Dynamo Lights viz Battery Lights in snow qand slush? Sir Ridesalot Techniques 6 March 4th 15 11:36 PM
Tail Lights with 180 Degree Visibility that mount to the rack mountlike dynamo tail lights? sms Techniques 16 November 4th 14 06:29 PM
dynamo lights with switches and bottle dynamo/generators Keiron[_4_] Techniques 12 September 18th 09 10:30 AM
Dynamo lights EuanB Australia 6 June 23rd 05 09:59 AM
Hub Dynamo Lights? Elisa Francesca Roselli General 14 September 23rd 03 12:16 AM