Bicycle Parts in the News

Old January 25th 20, 02:08 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Default Bicycle Parts in the News

On 1/24/2020 4:46 PM, Tim McNamara wrote:
On Thu, 23 Jan 2020 16:52:16 -0600, AMuzi wrote:
On 1/23/2020 3:57 PM, Tim McNamara wrote:

But even a bit broader than trade is reintegrating parolees into
society. Work and economic self-support is hugely important, but
many perhaps most employers simply will not hire people who have been
incarcerated. So even if they have a trade they've learned, they
can't get a job. In some states parolled felons can't vote, another
bar to being an accepted member of society.

I'm with you generally but voting rights and 'being an accepted member
of society' are unrelated.

I would disagree. Many parolled felons are vocal about the effects of
being disenfranchised. They have, as the saying goes, paid their debt
to society and yet continue to be punished after their sentence is
completed.

Hell, literally half the people you know are qualified to vote but do
not. And you don't know who is who. _That_ ought to be unacceptable in
polite society[1].

Well, I was raised in a family that was dedicated to voting, especially
my father, so I almost never miss casting my vote (I did completely
forget about a primary last year and felt terrible about it). I agree
that this is a civic duty and one of the most important things that
citizens do. There are countries that put us to shame in this regard,
where people are standing in line to vote and may travel hours or days
to be able to do so, even though various militant factions are a threat
to the voters. My voting place has been a five minute walk from my
house for 26 years- I cannot justify not voting.

[1] Which should not be construed as support of mandatory voting, a
pernicious thing I do not advocate.

Voting at gunpoint! "We have ways of making you vote!"

I don't disagree with you. Those are completely different
discussions. Tim wrote, "...felons can't vote, another bar
to being an accepted member of society."

I pointed out that voting has absolutely no bearing
whatsoever on 'being an accepted member of society'. At all.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old January 25th 20, 02:10 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 1/24/2020 4:49 PM, Tim McNamara wrote:
On Thu, 23 Jan 2020 16:07:16 -0800 (PST), Tom Kunich
wrote:

As an especially egregious case in point - my friend the retired NCIS
agent, NEVER votes. But spends a great deal of time complaining about
politicians.

Sheesh. I remember two quotes I've ready to justify this. One was an
older woman who said "I never vote, it just encourages them." The other
was a well-known person who said "I don't vote because there's no one to
vote *for*. Choosing the lesser of evils is still choosing evil."
Neither are acceptable to me.

Both old and well worn, yet still popular expressions

as is "If God wanted us to vote, he would have given us
candidates."

Old January 25th 20, 02:54 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

On Fri, 24 Jan 2020 13:58:40 -0500, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

On 1/24/2020 12:57 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:
On Friday, January 24, 2020 at 8:58:23 AM UTC-8, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 1/23/2020 8:48 PM, AMuzi wrote:

Speaking of diversity, check out the results of just a few thousands of
feral savages inflicted on an otherwise homogenous nation:

https://www.thelocal.se/20181015/giv...gets-under-way

As my British friend used to say, "If bombs are outlawed, only outlaws
will have bombs."

For those who don't recognize sarcasm, he was very much in favor of
British gun laws, and baffled by America's gun nuts.

--
- Frank Krygowski

The founders of this nation, thank God, were very powerful thinkers. But to you they were dopes and you know much better.

They were fairly sharp guys. Not gods, not saints, not infallible, but
sharp guys.

They believed in well-regulated militias. That was understood quite well
for about 200 years.

They believed in a militia quite simply because that is all that they
there was in the 1700's and yes, they tossed in the word "well
regulated", apparently in hope, as none of the state militias of the
1700's were what one might call "well regulated" and yes, there is
sufficient history available to realize this. Read up on the
Penobscot Expedition.

It was only in very recent times that the firearms industry and some gun
nuts got lawyers to convince activist judges that all precedents and all
previous legal thought should be thrown into a trash can and shot to
hell with an AR-15 fitted with a bump stock.

Read some history Frank. In the 1700's there was no standing army in
the colonies and the only armed defense available was the town/state
militia which by the mid 1700's were being viewed with some dismay by
the colonial governments. When Washington tried to mobilize the
Virginia Militia to fight against an Indian attack, in 1755, the
follow was written,
" he experienced all the evils of insubordination among the troups,
perverseness in the militia, inactivity in the officers, disregard of
orders, and reluctance in the civil authorities to render a proper
support."

Thus, I suggest, the term "well regulated" might well have more then a
cursory meaning.

As for AR-15's I might comment that contrary to popular belief the
bulk of the "continental Army, and the militia before them were armed
with smooth bore muskets - the rapid fire weapon of the era. From all
the records I can find there were in the neighborhood of 1,500
riflemen, in total, in the Colonial army during the war. However
rifles may have been a factor in the Colonial victory in the battle of
The Battle of King's Mountain.

I can only assume due to the rapid acceptance of fully automatic
weapons by various forces in modern times that had a weapon like the
AR-15 been available in 1775 that both sides would have adopted it :-)
Aft all both side had adopted cannon.
--
cheers,

John B.

Old January 25th 20, 03:10 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

On Fri, 24 Jan 2020 09:57:34 -0800 (PST), Tom Kunich
wrote:

On Friday, January 24, 2020 at 8:58:23 AM UTC-8, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 1/23/2020 8:48 PM, AMuzi wrote:

Speaking of diversity, check out the results of just a few thousands of
feral savages inflicted on an otherwise homogenous nation:

https://www.thelocal.se/20181015/giv...gets-under-way

As my British friend used to say, "If bombs are outlawed, only outlaws
will have bombs."

For those who don't recognize sarcasm, he was very much in favor of
British gun laws, and baffled by America's gun nuts.

--
- Frank Krygowski

The founders of this nation, thank God, were very powerful thinkers. But to you they were dopes and you know much better.

The murder rate in the US is 5.3 per 100,000. That of El Salvador is 61.8 which is why you want to fill the US with these people and then remove the means of self defense from Americans. Honduras 47, Mexico 25. When you are unaware of the world about you perhaps you should keep your misguided thoughts to yourself.

Yawn... And from what I read the murder rate, in the colonies, in the
17th century, the "peacetime murder rates for adult colonists . . .
ranged from 100 to 500 or more per year per 100,000 adults, ten to
fifty times the rate in the United States today."
https://tinyurl.com/r24g7z4

Or to coin a phrase, "So What?"
--
cheers,

John B.

Old January 25th 20, 09:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 1/24/2020 8:54 PM, John B. wrote:
[...]

John, you haven't written anything new to me. And nothing that you've
written has rebutted what I said.

The Constitution was written in a time when militias with muskets were
the best insurance against an overseas power taking control of the
territory of the brand new United States. Those militias needed to be
well regulated, or they themselves could turn the place into 1990s
Mogadishu, but in slow motion, with at least 15 seconds between shots.

We now have millions of fat Rambo wannabees buying guns not to keep
woodchucks out of the garden or put rabbits on the table. They're
choosing weapons with fantasy battles in mind, outfitting them with
magazines that have no practical use outside a firefight, and pretending
that they're going to use them against anyone who demands their
background be checked. With funding from the industry supplying their
toys, they've gotten the courts to twist away from true originalist
interpretations of the 2nd amendment.

What these Rambos do is not what your family did in New England. It's
not what the Founders imagined in the 1700s. It's not what happens in
other economically advanced countries. And our gun death stats and mass
shooting stats show the results.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old January 25th 20, 10:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 1/25/2020 2:59 PM, Frank Krygowski wrote:
[...]

You obviously do not know all that many firearms owners.

Old January 25th 20, 10:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

wrote:

[...]

Or over 100 times what it is in other civilized countries. That's what.

I'm not interested in going back to even one tenth of the colonial death
rates from things like consumption, influenza, yellow fever or typhoid
either.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old January 25th 20, 10:23 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 1/25/2020 4:06 PM, AMuzi wrote:
[...]

sufficient history availableÂ* to realize this. Read up on the
[...]

I just thought of eight firearm owning friends or relatives in less than
15 seconds. I could think of many more if given time.

Only two of those own AR-style guns. Both of them go to machine gun
shoots at least once per year, to blast things like dead refrigerators
in a field. One of them invited me to come along a couple times. I
turned him down.

The friend that I've shot with the most has a son who fears The Left is
going to come in and take his guns away. My friend says his son is nuts.

(I thought of three more friends with guns in the time I typed that.)
(Nope, four more.)

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old January 26th 20, 12:07 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Radey Shouman

Krygowski wrote:
[...]

Tell us about Paul Revere, Lexington & Concord again please.

BHO approved bump stocks, which we discussed here years ago (I noted
that no firearms owner in my wide acquaintance had anything positive
to say about them). DJT banned them.

AR-15, your personal bogeyman weapon again? Geez if you need something
to truly fear, there are Barrett .50 with optics out there...

If you want to really fear something, you might note that there were
open gun battles in Nuevo Laredo, Tamaulipas, a few weeks ago that
included .50 caliber machine guns. Nuevo Laredo is just across the
border from Laredo, Texas. In Mexico, where no firearm chambering a
"military" caliber has been legal for civilians for generations.

https://www.wwlp.com/news/stay-away-...y-gun-battles/

I remind you that civilians use AR-15 now, replacing mostly .308
Garands. This reads much like 'dynamo vs LiIon' :
https://www.ammunitiontogo.com/lodge...er-comparison/

Old January 26th 20, 12:11 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

wrote:

[...]

The "so what" was in reference to comparing the U.S. crime rate to
that of some other countries.