Cyclists waste petrol

Old September 18th 18, 10:47 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair
Rod Speed

Default Cyclists waste petrol

"Jimmy Wilkinson Knife" wrote in message
news
On Sun, 16 Sep 2018 22:18:11 +0100, Rod Speed
wrote:

"Jimmy Wilkinson Knife" wrote in message
news
On Sun, 16 Sep 2018 20:17:01 +0100, Rod Speed
wrote:

"Jimmy Wilkinson Knife" wrote in message
news On Sun, 16 Sep 2018 10:52:04 +0100, Rod Speed

wrote:

"Jimmy Wilkinson Knife" wrote in message
news On Sun, 16 Sep 2018 00:25:57 +0100, Rod Speed

wrote:

"Jimmy Wilkinson Knife" wrote in message
news On Sat, 15 Sep 2018 23:04:43 +0100, Rod Speed

wrote:

"Jimmy Wilkinson Knife" wrote in message
news On Sat, 15 Sep 2018 21:39:48 +0100, Rod Speed

wrote:

"Jimmy Wilkinson Knife" wrote in message
news On Tue, 11 Sep 2018 04:29:50 +0100, Rod Speed

wrote:

"rbowman" wrote in message
On 09/10/2018 12:33 PM, Rod Speed wrote:

"Jimmy Wilkinson Knife" wrote in message
news On Mon, 10 Sep 2018 19:12:29 +0100, Rod Speed
wrote:

"Jimmy Wilkinson Knife" wrote in message
news On Mon, 10 Sep 2018 17:57:32 +0100, rbowman

wrote:

On 09/09/2018 10:53 PM, Rod Speed wrote:
rbowman wrote
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife wrote
Rod Speed wrote

Once you lot are out of the EU, you'll have decent
Korean
cars
available

Like Dacia and Daiwoo? Loads of them about already.

Dacias are Romanian, aren't they?

Yep, and a Renault subsidiary there.

While I work with a woman named Dacia, that's as close
as
I'll
ever
get
to one. We don't even have Renaults any more and after
the
Yugo,
any
eastern European creations are suspect. There are some
who
feel
that the
only worthwhile thing Clinton did was bombing the Yugo
plant.

I've yet to see any car that's reliable.

Mine hasn't had a single failure in 12 years.

How many miles did you do in those 12 years?

Just gone over 65K Km

What parts did you replace for servicing,

Just the oil filter, once.

That's a little extreme.

Yes. I did that in the Golf too, but that was because it did
use
quite a bit of oil so I didn't bother with oil changes in the
45
years I was still using it. Dunno how many miles, the odo
failed after about 10 years and I didn't bother to replace
it.
Likely getting on for 200K miles. Never had any ;problem.

I change the oil and replace the filter evry 8000 km, per
the
manual.

I don't bother given that the Golf did fine without that.

I did replace the oil filter a couple of years ago in the
Getz
when it was making a sort of ticking noise when idling
and that fixed the noise. At the previous registration
check which here involves a mechanic testing the brakes
and stuff like that, the oil was very low and I did fill it
then, and have just done the rego test again this week
and found it was very low again and have just topped
it up. Not clear if its using oil like the Golf did too, too
early to tell yet. Both are double overhead cam engines.

I don't tend to replace anything unless there's a problem.

The owner/mechanic that did one of my MOTs
did say that someone had blown up their Getz
engine by not bothering to any oil changes.

Yet you seem to get away with very little oil changes in all
your
cars.
And so do I.

Yeah, I did wonder about that. The Getz was making an odd
clicking noise when idling which did cause me to do an oil
change and filter change, presumably she just ignored that until
the engine died. Or maybe it had a fault as well or something.

These things people do regularly like changing oil and spark
plugs,
they've never made a difference to my cars. I replace something
when
there's a noise, a smell, something isn't working right, or a
warning
light comes on.

Do you know what would cause my engine (1.6 litre petrol, no
turbo)
misfire (it stutters) when I put my foot more than half way
down
and
the
revs are under 2000?

Hard to see that it could be fault with the petrol pump
not being able to pump as well as it used to given that
you'd expect that to be more of a problem with higher
revs rather than lower revs.

Agreed.

Some days are worse than others,

Is there any correlation with how warm the day is ?

The temperature hasn't changed much recently, it's been around
15C.

But don't you sometimes go out early and sometimes in the arvo
etc
?

I never get up before 9:30am, and never leave the house till
10:30am.

We've had damp and dry days which caused no change.

it doesn't always do it. Just suddenly started 2 weeks ago,
slowly
getting worse. Engine is 75K miles and 16 years old.

That does suggest it's a fault rather than a design problem.
May well be one of the sensors that the computer control
system uses to decide how much petrol to inject is flaky.

May well be, I know the computer's a bit ****ed, as the last MOT
had
it
saying there was an ABS fault (the warning lamp is on), yet when
the
garage connected it up, it claimed nothing was wrong. So he
just
left
it.

That can just be a flaky connector.

Probably, since I drive double the speed limit over those ****ing
speedbumps, things get knocked out of place.

I disconnect the battery every night as the alarm (I think, I've
disconnected all the fuses and it still does it) runs the
battery
(a
brand
new battery) flat overnight.

Yeah, its clearly got a problem.

This might annoy the computer?

Certainly some do learn stuff and don't keep the learned data
in NVRAM and have to learn again after a battery change.

I often have problems with car alarms. I've had a Ford Mondeo
that
the
AA
had to disconnect the alarm as it kept going off for no reason.
And
the
Golf and this Scenic keep draining the battery. We'd be better
off
without alarms,

Never had any false alarms with the Getz, just the one time
managed to slam the door on the seat belt buckle when it
hadn't retracted fully and that set the alarm off. Trivial given
that I was obviously there when it happened.

Why on earth would that set off the alarm?

It appeared to decide that the door had closed and
had then been opened without using the key or fob.

Can't happen to me as I don't wear a seatbelt.

More fool you,

It's a very small risk,

Still stupid to take that risk, tho in your case, great if you get
killed.

How can it be stupid to take a 1 in a million risk?

It aint one in a million.

and is much more comfortable.

Not when the seatbelt is properly designed.

Then clearly they aren't.

Mine are.

Also as I get in and out of my car 100 times a day, it's damn more
convenient.

Irrelevant for most people who don't.

They're still uncomfortable.

Mine arent.

I don't want to be tied up like I'm in a BDSM movie.

Another pathetic excuse for a troll.

and we have a very substantial fine
for not wearing one

Only £100 here, I get caught about once a year, small price to pay for
comfort.

There is no lack of comfort with a properly designed seatbelt.

BULL****.

FACT.

There shouldn't be a fine, as one cop once said to me (who let me off) -
"at the end of the day, you're only endangering yourself".

Regardless, there is a fine anyway.

Why?

Because plenty are as stupid as you.

and since we have a high rate
or roadside alcohol breath tests where the cops
flag you to pull over with no warning, and you
come to a stop with the cop standing outside
the drivers window, you have no chance of not
getting caught not wearing one.

Just pull it on as soon as you see them ahead,

Not possible, many of them are only seen at the
last minute,

Ours are so monumentally stupid they all wear hivis, so I can see them a
mile off.

Not when they are around a corner.

so you can't avoid the breath test and they are looking at you and can
see you putting the seatbelt on as you come up to them.

Tell them they were mistaken,

And they will then **** you over even more comprehensively.

do they have video evvidence? No? Then they can't prove a damn thing.

They don't need to.

that's what I do.

Doesn't work here for the reason above.

Stop splitting up what I write and saying the same thing twice.

Go and **** yourself, again.

$337 fine,
3 demerit points, 6 in double demerit times,
which would be loss of license for me currently.

That's ****ing insane, so basically they're

.. treating it as seriously as speeding?

Only for the most trivial speeding offence, more than
10K and not more than 20K over the speed limit.

Here it's £100 and 3 points (of 12 max) for up to 30mph over the limit.

More fool you lot.

What the hell? One can hurt others, one can't, your cops are stupider
than ours.

Nothing to do with the cops, that is decided by the parliament.

The cops have discretion.

Nope.

And you still annoyed everyone within hearing range.

Nope. It actually happened during the garage sale
run and no one took any notice because they could
see that I was trying to work out how to cancel it.

But you made them all look and tut at you.

No one did.

I would have yelled, "Turn that ****ing thing off you ****!"

Stupid thing to do given that I was turning it off.
And you had done that, I would have left it going.

Then I would have broken your car.

Then I would have broken you.

all you get are false positives, same with three of my neighbours'
house alarms.

I used to get quite a few false alarms with my next door
neighbour, but a couple of none false ones too, one where
the bugger had obviously put one of the outdoor seats up
against the back fence to get away when the alarm went off.

And that is the house next door to the one that the loony
quite literally burnt to the ground using bags of petrol.
And alarm there would have avoided that because we
all don't ignore alarms, even if they go off at 3am etc.

We do here, because they're all false.

Even sillier than you usually manage, and that's saying something.

It's true, in 18 years this entire street of 50 houses has had only
TWO
thefts.

Only because your 'hood is a slum that even the most
stupid crim realises has nothing worth stealing.

Actually there are council houses half a mile away, the occupants of
which
would love all our stuff, but they don't steal.

Because your 'hood is a slum that even the most
stupid crim realises has nothing worth stealing.

It's 10 times richer than the area next to it.

All that proves is that both of them are slums.

And two is more than none anyway.

It's negligible. That's one every nine years in 50 houses.

Because your 'hood is a slum that even the most
stupid crim realises has nothing worth stealing.

You already wrote that

****wits like you are too stupid to understand
the first time and need endless repetition until
it get thru the ear to ear dog ****.

So the chances of it being me are 1 every 450 years, not worth bothering
setting an alarm every day for that.

Because your 'hood is a slum that even the most
stupid crim realises has nothing worth stealing.

You already wrote that

****wits like you are too stupid to understand
the first time and need endless repetition until
it get thru the ear to ear dog ****.

Besides, the golf clubs from an open boot would not have triggered an
alarm, and the alarm on the house with the window was probably
deactivated
while they were working on the window - it had just been fitted the same
day.

No point in disabling the alarm, just do what you always do
when in the house.

Er.... that would be to turn it off.

Not permanently.

One was a guy who turned up in a van and stole a newly installed
lounge
window (and left the telly etc inside). The other was a set of golf
clubs
left in my idiot neighbour's boot which he'd left open all afternoon.

I'd get an ODB2 thing and see if that reports anything.

I'll ask the local garage to do a check if it annoys me enough.

OBD2 sensors cost peanuts, $5 or so. But you do
need a smartphone or tablet to read them easily.
Possible with a laptop but not quite as easily.

I thought they were designed for laptops.

They use bluetooth. Laptops can certainly do that
but there are a lot more OBD2 apps and free ones for
android phones and tablets. Far less choice for laptops.

Last time I saw a mechanic use OBD2 it was USB to a laptop using
software
they'd paid for.

How can a phone or tablet possibly be better than a laptop?

Better apps.

I only have desktops anyway, although I could always take one
outside....
I'll just ask the garage, they'll have more equipment.

But will cost more to get them to do it.

They won't charge much for a quick check, it's a decent garage that
charges by the hour, and nothing if they don't fix it.

Might well allow you to work out what is flattening the
battery overnight too and so much more convenient
than having to disconnect the battery every night.

I know it's the alarm, I've ruled out everything else.

It might be something else unfused.

What else would be? The alarm is the only thing that would be
hidden
away.

There's one down the road that does fancy **** for boy racers
and
they
have loads of equipment.

You have me beat by a mile. Or a kilometer. Whatever. Must
be
those
5000 km road trips every now and then.

I don't usually go quite that far. The last one was 1000 km
and
I should be doing another next week if the weather is decent.

Oh come on, it's always sunny in Australia!

Bugger, that must mean I need new glasses or something.

Well you're always telling me the UK is soggy. This implies you
get
much
nicer weather.

We do, but that doesn't mean that its always sunny.

Current forecast for the best day is 22C and cloudy
and since its an outdoor event, I wont bother if its
going to be raining.

Rain? In Australia?!

This must have been someone caught short.
https://cdn.newsapi.com.au/image/v1/...76f?width=1024

Google says Australia Getz (titter) an average annual rainfall of
16"
whereas we get 33.7".

Which might just be why I call it a soggy little island.

Only double yours.

Averages are irrelevant with countrys as big as mine.

You get to choose the dryer areas.

I did. It still rains anyway.

Soggy continent.

Only in your pathetic little drug crazed psychotic fantasyland.

Mind you that will be including deserts.

They still get rain.

Then why are they deserts?

Because even deserts get rain.
https://www.ancient-origins.es/sites...ustralia-1.jpg

Not much or they wouldn't be deserts.

Irrelevant to what happens when it does rain.

Not deserts then are they?

Wrong, as always.

Old September 18th 18, 10:48 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair
Rod Speed

"Bod" wrote in message
On 17/09/2018 20:00, Rod Speed wrote:

"Jimmy Wilkinson Knife" wrote in message
news
On Mon, 17 Sep 2018 08:47:11 +0100, Rod Speed
wrote:

"Bod" wrote in message
On 17/09/2018 07:06, Rod Speed wrote:

"Bod" wrote in message
On 17/09/2018 05:40, Rod Speed wrote:

"Bod" wrote in message
On 17/09/2018 04:25, Rod Speed wrote:

"Jimmy Wilkinson Knife" wrote in message
news On Sun, 16 Sep 2018 23:15:03 +0100, Rod Speed
wrote:

rbowman wrote
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife wrote

It's a very small risk, and is much more comfortable. Also
as I
get
in and out of my car 100 times a day, it's damn more
convenient.

Now i understand! You're the delivery driver for the local
kebab
joint.

He actually stuffs catalogs thru the letterboxes
that the poms have in their front doors.

Have you guys not invented the letterbox yet?

Corse we have. We're just not stupid enough
to have it in the front door where anyone
can put anything they like inside the house.

Paranoia can be treated.

Taint paranoia, its common sense.

I only get post through our letter box, just like everyone I know.

What strange things do you get posted?

Stuff I buy on ebay, amazon, aliexpress etc.

Nothing strange about them.

So why are you worried about "anything" being posted through your
letterbox into your house?

By other than the postman, stupid.

Doesn't happen here.

Bull**** it doesn't. I've seen it in those reality cop docos.

You are either paranoid or you live amongst dodgey folk.

You never could bull**** your way out of a wet paper bag, gutless.

Old September 18th 18, 10:49 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair
Rod Speed

"Jimmy Wilkinson Knife" wrote in message
news

"Bod" wrote in message
On 17/09/2018 04:25, Rod Speed wrote:

"Jimmy Wilkinson Knife" wrote in message
news On Sun, 16 Sep 2018 23:15:03 +0100, Rod Speed
wrote:

rbowman wrote
[...]

Which show you the 5 times that it happened to 65 million people.

Wrong, as always.

Old September 18th 18, 10:50 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair
Rod Speed

"Jimmy Wilkinson Knife" wrote in message
news
On Mon, 17 Sep 2018 20:04:17 +0100, Rod Speed
wrote:

"Jimmy Wilkinson Knife" wrote in message
news
On Mon, 17 Sep 2018 04:28:22 +0100, Rod Speed
wrote:

"Jimmy Wilkinson Knife" wrote in message
news On Sun, 16 Sep 2018 22:39:41 +0100, rbowman
wrote:

On 09/16/2018 02:49 PM, Jimmy Wilkinson Knife wrote:
It's a very small risk, and is much more comfortable. Also as I get
in
and out of my car 100 times a day, it's damn more convenient.

Now i understand! You're the delivery driver for the local kebab
joint.

Doesn't matter what I do, the law should never ever prevent you from
risking your own life.

That's bull**** too with those fools that trying
climbing up the outside of big multistory buildings
and jump from them with parachutes etc.

Because they might land on a crowd of people.

It's your body and you should be free to do as you wish with it.

You are now free to top yourself if you want to do that.

Yet I'm not allowed to do risky things?

Corse you are.

Then I can drive legally without a seatbelt? All it does is risk ME.

If you want to take a sailing boat out on a rough sea with an 80%
chance
of drowning, then why shouldn't you?

You're free to do that too.

So why can't I drive without a seatbelt?

Because you are too stupid to use one.

I'm not paranoid enough to use one.

Great, sooner you are dead the better.

Old September 18th 18, 11:50 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair
Bod[_5_]

"Bod" wrote in message
On 17/09/2018 04:25, Rod Speed wrote:

"Jimmy Wilkinson Knife" wrote in message
news On Sun, 16 Sep 2018 23:15:03 +0100, Rod Speed
wrote:

rbowman wrote
[...]

Do your neighbours do things like this? :

Australia strawberry needle sca Apple and banana

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-45556584

--
Bod
Old September 18th 18, 11:51 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair
A. Fender-Bender

On 09/17/2018 03:12 PM, Jimmy Wilkinson Knife wrote:
Then I can drive legally without a seatbelt?* All it does is risk ME.

You have the logic of a three-year-old.

Seat belts reduce or eliminate injuries.* Who will pay your increased
hospital bill?

Are you a democrat who expects other people to pay your bills?

Old September 18th 18, 01:07 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife[_2_]

On Tue, 18 Sep 2018 11:51:34 +0100, A. Fender-Bender wrote:

On 09/17/2018 03:12 PM, Jimmy Wilkinson Knife wrote:
Then I can drive legally without a seatbelt? All it does is risk ME.

You have the logic of a three-year-old.

Seat belts reduce or eliminate injuries. Who will pay your increased
hospital bill?

Are you a democrat who expects other people to pay your bills?

That's a seperate argument, as to whether we should have free healthcare. Please try to stick to the topic.
Old September 18th 18, 01:19 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair
valued customer

On 9/18/2018 8:07 AM, Jimmy Wilkinson Knife wrote:
On Tue, 18 Sep 2018 11:51:34 +0100, A. Fender-Bender wrote:

On 09/17/2018 03:12 PM, Jimmy Wilkinson Knife wrote:
Then I can drive legally without a seatbelt?* All it does is risk ME.

You have the logic of a three-year-old.

Seat belts reduce or eliminate injuries.* Who will pay your increased
hospital bill?

Are you a democrat who expects other people to pay your bills?

That's a seperate argument, as to whether we should have free healthcare.* Please try to stick to the topic.

So who will pay your INCREASED hospital bill because you refused to wear a seat belt?

Old September 18th 18, 01:30 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife[_2_]

On Tue, 18 Sep 2018 13:19:16 +0100, valued customer wrote:

On 9/18/2018 8:07 AM, Jimmy Wilkinson Knife wrote:
On Tue, 18 Sep 2018 11:51:34 +0100, A. Fender-Bender wrote:

On 09/17/2018 03:12 PM, Jimmy Wilkinson Knife wrote:
Then I can drive legally without a seatbelt? All it does is risk ME.

You have the logic of a three-year-old.

Seat belts reduce or eliminate injuries. Who will pay your increased
hospital bill?

Are you a democrat who expects other people to pay your bills?

That's a seperate argument, as to whether we should have free healthcare. Please try to stick to the topic.

So who will pay your INCREASED hospital bill because you refused to wear a seat belt?

Nobody should, I should have private medical insurance and so should everyone else. Stupid left wingers think people should all cure each other, it's insane.
Old September 18th 18, 01:31 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife[_2_]

On Tue, 18 Sep 2018 13:19:16 +0100, valued customer wrote:

On 9/18/2018 8:07 AM, Jimmy Wilkinson Knife wrote:
On Tue, 18 Sep 2018 11:51:34 +0100, A. Fender-Bender wrote:

On 09/17/2018 03:12 PM, Jimmy Wilkinson Knife wrote:
Then I can drive legally without a seatbelt? All it does is risk ME.

You have the logic of a three-year-old.

Seat belts reduce or eliminate injuries. Who will pay your increased
hospital bill?

Are you a democrat who expects other people to pay your bills?

That's a seperate argument, as to whether we should have free healthcare. Please try to stick to the topic.

So who will pay your INCREASED hospital bill because you refused to wear a seat belt?

By the same token you should be banning parachute jumping etc. Funnily enough we're allowed to do that.

This is what cyclists waste tax payers' money on James Wilkinson Sword[_4_] UK 123 February 12th 17 11:08 PM
Another waste of effort Mrcheerful[_2_] UK 2 September 21st 11 09:56 AM
So here is some total waste Anton Berlin Racing 6 August 4th 09 05:05 AM
Wot a waste [email protected] UK 11 February 28th 08 09:24 AM
Probably a waste of my time but its my time to waste Jeff Grippe Recumbent Biking 78 January 18th 07 12:30 AM