So... is it enforced?? How???

Old September 24th 09, 10:36 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Ian[_8_]

Default So... is it enforced?? How???

http://www.henden.co.uk/sl1.jpg

and

http://www.henden.co.uk/sl2.jpg

And there was someone on tis NG saying, a while back, that "speed
limits don't apply to cycles". It appears that sometimes, they DO.

Old September 24th 09, 10:58 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Paul Rudin[_2_]

"Ian" writes:

http://www.henden.co.uk/sl1.jpg

and

http://www.henden.co.uk/sl2.jpg

And there was someone on tis NG saying, a while back, that "speed
limits don't apply to cycles". It appears that sometimes, they DO.

There are bylaws in some places (e.g. Royal Parks) that do apply speed
limits to bicycles. Those pictures look like they might be on some
bridge, where possibly there's also a bylaw. But general road traffic
legislation specifies that the offence of speeding can only be committed
by the driver of a motor vehicle (I forget which act it is off the top
of my head - but you can google for it and read for yourself if you're
interested).

More generally the presence of a sign can't necessarily be relied
on... there are all sorts of signs that people put up that have no force
in law.
Old September 24th 09, 11:58 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Keitht

Ian wrote:
http://www.henden.co.uk/sl1.jpg

and

http://www.henden.co.uk/sl2.jpg

And there was someone on tis NG saying, a while back, that "speed
limits don't apply to cycles". It appears that sometimes, they DO.

But how can we tell how fast/slow we are going?
If trying to judge speed by effort being put in to cycle it can't work.
Counting kerbstones and doing the math as you go past isn't going to
work either.

--

Come to Dave & Boris - your cycle security experts.
Old September 24th 09, 12:08 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Daniel Barlow

Keitht KeithT writes:

But how can we tell how fast/slow we are going?
If trying to judge speed by effort being put in to cycle it can't work.
Counting kerbstones and doing the math as you go past isn't going to
work either.

If you don't know whether you're inside the limit, slow down until you
do know. The drink drive limits seems to be perfectly workable
without the need to mandate that all cars are fitted with breathalysers.

-dan
Old September 24th 09, 12:33 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
POHB

If you don't know whether you're inside the limit, slow down until you
do know. *The drink drive limits seems to be perfectly workable
without the need to mandate that all cars are fitted with breathalysers.

If you want to treat it as a target rather than an upper limit you'd
better fit a speedometer. In Richmond Park the police frequently nick
cyclists by using hand-held speed guns.
Old September 24th 09, 12:44 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Ian Jackson

In article ,
Ian wrote:
http://www.henden.co.uk/sl1.jpg
http://www.henden.co.uk/sl2.jpg

Where were these photographs taken and what is the overall situation
there ?

--
Ian Jackson personal email:
These opinions are my own. http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~ijackson/
Old September 24th 09, 12:53 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Brooke[_2_]

On 24 Sep, 10:36, "Ian" wrote:
http://www.henden.co.uk/sl1.jpg

and

http://www.henden.co.uk/sl2.jpg

And there was someone on tis NG saying, a while back, that "speed
limits don't apply to cycles". *It appears that sometimes, they DO.

The existence of a sign is not evidence of legislation giving that
sign legal force. Absent a specific local bye-law, neither of those
signs actually have any legal force.
Old September 24th 09, 01:50 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Keitht

Daniel Barlow wrote:
Keitht KeithT writes:

But how can we tell how fast/slow we are going?
If trying to judge speed by effort being put in to cycle it can't work.
Counting kerbstones and doing the math as you go past isn't going to
work either.

If you don't know whether you're inside the limit, slow down until you
do know. The drink drive limits seems to be perfectly workable
without the need to mandate that all cars are fitted with breathalysers.

-dan

How can I tell whether I'm above the limit or not?
That's all I asked.
I don't have a gadget on my bike that tells me what speed I'm doing.
And it can't be by the wind in my hair.

Drink drive limits are also a farce, it doesn't stop people driving
while ****ed, does it?

--

Come to Dave & Boris - your cycle security experts.
Old September 24th 09, 02:01 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Ian[_8_]

"Ian Jackson" wrote in message
In article ,
Ian wrote:
http://www.henden.co.uk/sl1.jpg
http://www.henden.co.uk/sl2.jpg

Where were these photographs taken and what is the overall situation
there ?

Forth Road Bridge.

Long upwards climb... equally long downwards run on the other side,
where an enthusiastic cyclist might well achieve 20 - 25 mph with no
bother, on a path with occasional pedestrians plus the very occasional
works van. (all off the running carriageways for the main road).

Fall off and over the railings, and there is quite a long drop before
you start to get wet. (or hurt, if you miss the sea....)

)

Old September 24th 09, 02:09 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
francis

On Sep 24, 10:58*am, Paul Rudin wrote:
"Ian" writes:
[...]

Do we presume that an electric bike is a motor vehicle?

Francis