Wiggos' wife knocked off her bike.

Old October 2nd 09, 05:12 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
RudiL

Default Wiggos' wife knocked off her bike.

On 2 Oct, 12:52, Simon Brooke wrote:
On 2 Oct, 08:37, Daniel Barlow wrote:

JNugent writes:
Daniel Barlow wrote:
JNugent writes:

You lot are certainly accident-prone, aren't you?

That, ladies and gentlemen, is what is technically known as a "cheap
shot"

So is it correct, or not?

As you well know, it is impossible to answer that without reference to
per-journey statistics or per-million km statistics, which have not been
provided

FWIW, I have had two injury-accidents in something over quarter of a
million miles of cycling. One required two stitches... and the other
was the broken back. Obviously I'm not recommending breaking your
back, but two injuries in quarter of a million miles isn't bad. And,
although it cost me a great deal, I'm fully recovered and in good
health now (and still riding plenty), so it isn't that big a deal.

Wow! a quarter of a million miles! That's impressive. I was quite
proud of my 60,000(ish).

Rudi
Old October 2nd 09, 05:21 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Keitht

JNugent wrote:

The real world here is that several people (abouyt five, IIRC) serially
recounted details of injury accidents they'd had.

The real world there appears to run on a different timescale to the
world over here. A few - yes. actually very few -- incidents over
several years is a lot - somehow.

Ridcully "You're not going to say 'it's all quantum' are you?"

--

Come to Dave & Boris - your cycle security experts.
Old October 2nd 09, 05:44 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason

"JNugent" wrote in message
Simon Mason wrote:

"JNugent" wrote in message
Daniel Barlow wrote:
JNugent writes:

You lot are certainly accident-prone, aren't you?

That, ladies and gentlemen, is what is technically known as a "cheap
shot"

So is it correct, or not?

In my case, incorrect. One hit from a car driver in 60,000 miles cannot
be described as accident-prone

...whereas a half-dozen accident reports, each reacting to the one before,
can.

In your mind, yes. However, 6 accident reports from decades of cumulative
cycling is negligible compared to 3 motorcyclist deaths in one week in our
city. In fact, compared to the huge number of people dying of obesity
related diseases, a few broken bones amongst otherwise fit and healthy
individuals is neither here nor there. Look at the big picture.

--
Simon Mason
http://www.simonmason.karoo.net/

Old October 2nd 09, 05:58 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_5_]

Daniel Barlow wrote:
JNugent writes:

Daniel Barlow wrote:

JNugent writes:
Daniel Barlow wrote:
JNugent writes:
You lot are certainly accident-prone, aren't you?
That, ladies and gentlemen, is what is technically known as a "cheap
shot"
So is it correct, or not?
As you well know, it is impossible to answer that without reference to
per-journey statistics or per-million km statistics, which have not been
provided

So there's nothing to say it's wrong.

You're certainly a tediously argumentative cock, aren't you?

-dan

You are very ungracious, aren't you?
Old October 2nd 09, 05:59 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_5_]

Keitht wrote:

JNugent wrote:

The real world here is that several people (abouyt five, IIRC)
serially recounted details of injury accidents they'd had.

The real world there appears to run on a different timescale to the
world over here. A few - yes. actually very few -- incidents over
several years is a lot - somehow.

Ridcully "You're not going to say 'it's all quantum' are you?"

Been in the pub all afternoon?
Old October 2nd 09, 06:02 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_5_]

Simon Mason wrote:

"JNugent" wrote in message
Simon Mason wrote:

"JNugent" wrote in message
Daniel Barlow wrote:
JNugent writes:

You lot are certainly accident-prone, aren't you?

That, ladies and gentlemen, is what is technically known as a "cheap
shot"

So is it correct, or not?

In my case, incorrect. One hit from a car driver in 60,000 miles
cannot be described as accident-prone

...whereas a half-dozen accident reports, each reacting to the one
before, can.

In your mind, yes. However, 6 accident reports from decades of
cumulative cycling is negligible compared to 3 motorcyclist deaths in
one week in our city. In fact, compared to the huge number of people
dying of obesity related diseases, a few broken bones amongst otherwise
fit and healthy individuals is neither here nor there. Look at the big
picture.

I'm sorry to hear about the rate of mortality from obesity-related diseases
in your city (wherever that might be), but it's difficult to see how it is
related to the number of traffic accidents. One injury-accident is one too
many. It does not become less important in an area where there are many
deaths from heart-disease.
Old October 2nd 09, 06:04 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Jim

RudiL wrote:

On 2 Oct, 12:52, Simon Brooke

wrote:
FWIW, I have had two injury-accidents in something over

quarter of a
million miles of cycling.

[snip]
Wow! a quarter of a million miles! That's impressive. I was

quite
proud of my 60,000(ish).

I was quietly wondering how anyone could get through 20 or so
Brooks saddles. Now I know! :-)

Old October 2nd 09, 06:06 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Daniel Barlow

JNugent writes:

Daniel Barlow wrote:
JNugent writes:

Daniel Barlow wrote:

JNugent writes:
Daniel Barlow wrote:
JNugent writes:
You lot are certainly accident-prone, aren't you?
That, ladies and gentlemen, is what is technically known as a "cheap
shot"
So is it correct, or not?
As you well know, it is impossible to answer that without reference to
per-journey statistics or per-million km statistics, which have not been
provided

So there's nothing to say it's wrong.

You're certainly a tediously argumentative cock, aren't you?

-dan

You are very ungracious, aren't you?

There's nothing to say I'm wrong

-dan
Old October 2nd 09, 06:17 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
David Damerell

Quoting Simon Mason :
"Simon Brooke" wrote in message
And to add to that, when I broke my back, I got back on my bike and
rode another mile - with a broken back - before realising I was badly
hurt.

Hell fire - you were lucky.

I put it to you that a luckier man wouldn't have had the prang in the
first place. :-)
--
David Damerell Kill the tomato!
Yesterday was First Chedday, September - a public holiday.
Old October 2nd 09, 07:29 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason

"JNugent" wrote in message
individuals is neither here nor there. Look at the big
picture.

I'm sorry to hear about the rate of mortality from obesity-related
diseases in your city (wherever that might be), but it's difficult to see
how it is related to the number of traffic accidents. One injury-accident
is one too many. It does not become less important in an area where there
are many deaths from heart-disease.

It is entirely related. If more people cycle, fewer people would die of
these horrible diseases.

Knocked off bike Steve Walford UK 8 October 27th 08 06:18 PM
Just been knocked off my bike!! [email protected] UK 18 March 22nd 08 09:37 PM
Charged for being knocked off his bike wafflycat UK 15 February 21st 08 09:56 AM
Police need help identifying a man knocked of his bike in Perth. Friday Australia 2 April 2nd 07 02:47 PM
Cyclist Knocked off Bike Six Times HughMann Australia 5 December 20th 05 07:58 AM