Any advice on Cramerotti frames?

Old September 23rd 04, 02:15 PM
Qui si parla Campagnolo

I have about 1200.00 to spend and have been looking at both used and
new frames. BRBR

www.torelli.com
www.gunnarbikes.com
www.waterfordbikes.com
www.nobilettecysles.com
www.calfeedesign.com

All have offerings in your price 'range'...

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com
Old September 23rd 04, 03:16 PM
Tom Paterson

From: "Per Elmsäter"

On my 23 mm tires I usually run between 100 - 130 psi depending on the road.
110 psi is pretty much standard issue on the roads around where I live.

Do you notice a difference between 110-130 on the same bike/tires? --TP
Old September 23rd 04, 04:54 PM
Per Elmsäter

Old September 23rd 04, 10:50 PM
John Black

Per, which one did you buy?
Old September 23rd 04, 11:03 PM
Douglas Landau

"bfd" wrote in message roups.com...
Per Elms ter wrote:
Alex Rodriguez wrote:
In article ,
says...

OK, here is the story. I am fairly new to road biking but have
fallen in love with the sport after making the transition from

mtb.
I currently own an dura ace/ultrega mix Cannondale 2.8 and am
looking to upgrade the frame to somethng a bit more compliant.

A frame upgrade is not going to make the ride more compliant. Try
fatter tires are a lower pressure.

I absolutely disagree on that. I did a test ride on a Trek 2300 ( Alu

) and
a Trek 5200 ( Carbon). Both have the identical geometry according to

Trek
and they were the same size frames. The difference in feel, comfort

and
handling was significant.

Question, were the tires, and more importantly, tire pressures the
same?

I have three steel roadbikes, and they have three different feels. I
have
run relatively few (3 or 4) different tires, always 23 or 25, always
at 115
or 120 except for the occaisional day at 110. I think that the
difference
in the way that the bikes themselves feel is more significant than the
differences in feel due to the tires, as long as they are 23 or 25
and
115-120psi.

I think there's a lot of oversimplification going on here. In the
world of
dirtbike suspensions, they talk of low- and high-speed damping. Low
speed
hits are jump landings. High speed hits are logs, ledges, rocks, etc.
suspect that tire and PSI choice might affect the ride after
high-speed hits
like cracks in pavement much more than than they affect the ride after
low
speed forces like cornering.

I have read the argument here that all frames are very stiff
vertically,
and there is essentially no vertical flex to be gained by choice of
frame material, and I accept it. The difference, I suspect, is
largely in the fork.

I also suspect that whatever people mean by "compliant" is more
affected by
what a material does after it takes a hit, rather than any difference
in
vertical stiffness.

dkl
Old September 24th 04, 12:00 AM
Per Elmsäter

John Black wrote:
Per, which one did you buy?

The point I was trying to make was that I felt a significant difference. If
you're curious as to which one you'd like best yourself go and try them out

--
Perre

Old September 24th 04, 05:35 AM
Tom Paterson

From: "Per Elmsäter"

(I asked):
Do you notice a difference between 110-130 on the same bike/tires?

(PE responded):
Do you?

I've never used 130lbs. pressure on the road, except on a wheel borrowed in a
race. The ride seems to get harsher around 120lbs, so if the 23's weren't
enough tire to prevent "pinch" flats, I'd go to a bigger tire, as I did when
riding dirt roads regularly in the past. --TP
Old September 28th 04, 06:37 PM
David Damerell

Alex Rodriguez wrote:
says...
currently own an dura ace/ultrega mix Cannondale 2.8 and am looking to
upgrade the frame to somethng a bit more compliant.

A frame upgrade is not going to make the ride more compliant.

Chainstay length?
--
David Damerell Distortion Field!

Sounding off: On unsound wheels and sound advice Luke Techniques 10 May 15th 04 08:12 PM
FAQ Just zis Guy, you know? UK 27 September 5th 03 10:58 PM
Economics of Custom Frame Building in non Ferrous Materials AndyMorris Techniques 29 August 29th 03 02:23 PM