For any bike history buffs

Old September 29th 04, 04:30 AM
A Muzi

In article ,
(Donald Gillies) wrote:
The big question is the cups. Campagnolo used to sell the cups
separately and many campy people still have spares of the cups. This
is why so many nuovo record hubs are still on the road. The only way
ot screw up these hubs permanent is to CUT THE CUPS OUT OF THE HUBS !!
These are press-fit cups guys, like a headset, you need to knock it
out of the hub from the other side, or build a special expansion -
extractor. I've never done it but maybe someone in our audience has ??

(Ned Mantei) Presumably Jobst Brandt has: He has mentioned
in this newsgroup that he
has 200,000 miles or more on his 1970's Campy hubs.

I'm sorry I missed the OP. Replacing bicycle hub cups is
not at all difficult although the economies involved have
made it much less common.

"cut the cups out of the hubs" What does that mean?
"maybe someone . . . has?" has what, wrecked a hub or
replaced a cup?

It's a good habit to turn the axle in one's fingers when a
wheel is out for whatever reason, rebuilding when grit or
roughness is first detected.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org

Old September 29th 04, 04:44 AM
A Muzi

Ned Mantei writes:
Presumably Jobst Brandt has: He has mentioned in this newsgroup that
he has 200,000 miles or more on his 1970's Campy hubs.

On Tue, 28 Sep 2004 18:36:51 GMT,
wrote:
Most good bicycle shops have an extractor for the cups and can remove
them esily. I have such a puller and have replaced cups that got
damaged.

wrote:
Only $66:
http://www.bikeusa.com/MERCHANT2/mer..._Code=HubTools
http://tinyurl.com/3lk6q

OK, that would work, I suppose, but so do these:
http://www.yellowjersey.org/photosfr...t/HUBCUPTL.JPG