Valvestem Extender

Old December 25th 06, 04:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
cycledogg

Default Valvestem Extender

Hi,
I am now using some deep rim wheels and would like to use the few
tubes I have with short (35mm) stem before buying some with the longer
stem. I have now bought two sets of valvestem extenders with now luck
do they work. Both sets seem to leak air when pumping up the tube. I
have tried using teflon plumbers tape with some success. Is there a
stem extender that I can use that requires no other material to work
properly?
Cheers
Rick in Tennessee

Old December 26th 06, 01:57 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

cycledogg wrote:
Hi,
I am now using some deep rim wheels and would like to use the few
tubes I have with short (35mm) stem before buying some with the longer
stem. I have now bought two sets of valvestem extenders with now luck
do they work. Both sets seem to leak air when pumping up the tube. I
have tried using teflon plumbers tape with some success. Is there a
stem extender that I can use that requires no other material to work
properly?
Cheers
Rick in Tennessee

Plumber's pipe tape has worked well for me. Not sure how many layers,
maybe three or four. Even if it leaks a bit while pumping I could live
with that; the air's not coming out of the tube, and I just would have
to pump a little faster than the leak.

Old December 26th 06, 01:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Banned

cycledogg wrote:
Hi,
I am now using some deep rim wheels and would like to use the few
tubes I have with short (35mm) stem before buying some with the longer
stem. I have now bought two sets of valvestem extenders with now luck
do they work. Both sets seem to leak air when pumping up the tube. I
have tried using teflon plumbers tape with some success. Is there a
stem extender that I can use that requires no other material to work
properly?
Cheers
Rick in Tennessee

What is leaking is air past the valve extender, not the junction
between the valve extender and the tube valve. Get a better pump head
or use one of the type that replaces the valve guts, then the tube
valve goes into the valve extender. It's cuz the valve extenders are so
smooth.

Valve Extender leeman180 Unicycling 7 July 16th 05 08:26 AM
Stem Extender Chas Douglass General 2 May 24th 05 08:19 PM
Pedal Extender? Pat Recumbent Biking 2 July 26th 04 02:26 AM
Which Brake Extender? jpcycler Unicycling 4 May 22nd 04 05:56 PM
Valve Extender Woes Justin F. Knotzke Techniques 8 August 19th 03 03:19 PM