Magilla, you gotta see this

Old August 19th 08, 01:34 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
ronaldo_jeremiah

Default Magilla, you gotta see this

So I'm watching team pursuits on the NBC site - you know, looking for
evidence of synchronicity - and I noticed something really
interesting. You can actually *see* the change in wheel speed between
the straights and the turns. How? In the video, the riders' wheels
appear almost stationary at that speed, cause the position of the
brand markings closely matches the sampling rate of the video
recording - sometimes it even looks like the wheel is rotating slowly
backward. It's this phenomenon he

http://www.michaelbach.de/ot/mot_wagonWheel/index.html

When these teams are riding the hamster wheel, you can actually see
the change in wheel speed as the riders go in and out of the turns.

Synchronicity was harder to determine.

-rj
Old August 19th 08, 01:36 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Ted van de Weteringe

ronaldo_jeremiah wrote:
When these teams are riding the hamster wheel, you can actually see
the change in wheel speed as the riders go in and out of the turns.

But did they go faster or slower?!
Old August 19th 08, 01:47 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
ronaldo_jeremiah

On Aug 18, 7:36*pm, Ted van de Weteringe
wrote:
ronaldo_jeremiah wrote:
When these teams are riding the hamster wheel, you can actually see
the change in wheel speed as the riders go in and out of the turns.

But did they go faster or slower?!

I can only say for sure that you can see a distinct shift.

If the team's wheels appear stationary on the straights, they appear
to be rotating slowly forward on the turns. If they appeared to be
rotating slowly forward on the straights, they appear to rotate faster
in the turns. And, if they appeared to be slowly rotating backwards
on the straights, they shift to a stationary appearance in the turns.

The fastest teams go at a speed (on the straights) that makes their
wheels (with three markings) appears almost perfectly stationary. The
GB team's wheels seemed to rotate forward very slowly on the
straights.

It's interesting, have a look:

http://www.nbcolympics.com/video/pla...elcode=sportcy

-rj
Old August 19th 08, 03:37 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Howard Kveck

wrote:
ronaldo_jeremiah wrote:
When these teams are riding the hamster wheel, you can actually see
the change in wheel speed as the riders go in and out of the turns.

But did they go faster or slower?!

I can only say for sure that you can see a distinct shift.

If the team's wheels appear stationary on the straights, they appear
to be rotating slowly forward on the turns. If they appeared to be
rotating slowly forward on the straights, they appear to rotate faster
in the turns. And, if they appeared to be slowly rotating backwards
on the straights, they shift to a stationary appearance in the turns.

The fastest teams go at a speed (on the straights) that makes their
wheels (with three markings) appears almost perfectly stationary. The
GB team's wheels seemed to rotate forward very slowly on the
straights.

It's interesting, have a look:

http://www.nbcolympics.com/video/pla...5-081508-16250
2&channelcode=sportcy

One bit that looks pretty cool is when a rider has a five spoke front wheel that
has more than five Mavic stickers around it. Tthe spokes slow down to the point where
they're stationary but the stickers are still moving around. Nice.

--
tanx,
Howard

The bloody pubs are bloody dull
The bloody clubs are bloody full
Of bloody girls and bloody guys
With bloody murder in their eyes

remove YOUR SHOES to reply, ok?
Old August 19th 08, 04:11 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

On Aug 18, 6:34 pm, ronaldo_jeremiah
wrote:
So I'm watching team pursuits on the NBC site - you know, looking for
evidence of synchronicity - and I noticed something really
interesting. You can actually *see* the change in wheel speed between
the straights and the turns. How? In the video, the riders' wheels
appear almost stationary at that speed, cause the position of the
brand markings closely matches the sampling rate of the video
recording - sometimes it even looks like the wheel is rotating slowly
backward. It's this phenomenon he

http://www.michaelbach.de/ot/mot_wagonWheel/index.html

When these teams are riding the hamster wheel, you can actually see
the change in wheel speed as the riders go in and out of the turns.

Synchronicity was harder to determine.

-rj

Film is Truth, twenty-four times a second.

- François Truffaut

tf