70 mph on a bike in the TDF?

Old September 2nd 04, 03:49 PM
Tom Nakashima

Default 70 mph on a bike in the TDF?

Did anyone else catch Lance Armstrong on the Tonight Show with Jay Leno last
evening?
Lance was asked by Leno what his fastest speed was on his bike in the Tour
de France, and Lance replied;
"70 miles per hour!" ???
He also said you don't want to crash at that speed.
-tom

Old September 2nd 04, 04:07 PM
Weisse Luft

Tom Nakashima Wrote:
Did anyone else catch Lance Armstrong on the Tonight Show with Jay Len
last
evening?
Lance was asked by Leno what his fastest speed was on his bike in th
Tour
de France, and Lance replied;
"70 miles per hour!" ???
He also said you don't want to crash at that speed.
-tom

I've yet to race in the Tour but I have broken 70 MPH on a long descen
with tailwind. In the mountains, natch.

Just a few weeks ago I broke 63 on a short but terrifyingly stee
descent in the hills. I had climbed a steep section and was traversin
the top, flat section, around a curve so I had some speed and recovery.
Since it had been 15 years since I traveled this road, I forgot th
descent until it was too late to brake safely. Since the road wa
straight, I tucked in, dropped to my 12 in the back and held on. Th
road was very rough and I never looked down, relying on the maximu
recording on my computer.

Ex post facto, I looked at a topo map. In 1/4 mile, I had descende
almost 300feet. Wow, a 20% average grade.

I think I shall keep this road a secret now that I just bought a Pola
S720i. It will be my training secret

--
Weisse Luft

Old September 2nd 04, 04:36 PM
Tom Nakashima

"Weisse Luft" wrote in
message ...
I've yet to race in the Tour but I have broken 70 MPH on a long descent
with tailwind. In the mountains, natch.

Just a few weeks ago I broke 63 on a short but terrifyingly steep
descent in the hills. I had climbed a steep section and was traversing
the top, flat section, around a curve so I had some speed and recovery.
Since it had been 15 years since I traveled this road, I forgot the
descent until it was too late to brake safely. Since the road was
straight, I tucked in, dropped to my 12 in the back and held on. The
road was very rough and I never looked down, relying on the maximum
recording on my computer.

Ex post facto, I looked at a topo map. In 1/4 mile, I had descended
almost 300feet. Wow, a 20% average grade.

I think I shall keep this road a secret now that I just bought a Polar
S720i. It will be my training secret.

--
Weisse Luft

Stay away from those power-lines with that polar s720i, I have the same HRM.
It will give you a false reading. I once read a103 mph, with a 225 cadence
with my s720i.
You will get spikes, and they can be corrected in the error data menu.
-tom

Old September 2nd 04, 04:52 PM
Tuschinski

Weisse Luft Wrote:
I've yet to race in the Tour but I have broken 70 MPH on a long descent
with tailwind. In the mountains, natch.

Just a few weeks ago I broke 63 on a short but terrifyingly steep
descent in the hills. I had climbed a steep section and was traversing
the top, flat section, around a curve so I had some speed and recovery.
Since it had been 15 years since I traveled this road, I forgot the
descent until it was too late to brake safely. Since the road was
straight, I tucked in, dropped to my 12 in the back and held on. The
road was very rough and I never looked down, relying on the maximum
recording on my computer.

Ex post facto, I looked at a topo map. In 1/4 mile, I had descended
almost 300feet. Wow, a 20% average grade.

I think I shall keep this road a secret now that I just bought a Polar
S720i. It will be my training secret.

I call major BS. Over 70 MPH is nonsense.

--
Tuschinski

Old September 2nd 04, 05:11 PM
Weisse Luft

Call BS if you want, the 70 MPH was in a GROUP and they also recorde
the same. This is the mountains, not some sandhills. Rock mountains
not cinder cones.

This was in mountains, with a tailwind and on Italian steel.

Oh yes, I have set my S720i's speed transmitter to the high powe
setting to prevent interference. Fortunately my riding is in an are
that is relatively free of power lines, for now.

Just to quell your suspicions, I will go do the 63 MPH descent Sunda
and post the complete data files. You will see altitude, speed, hear
rate and distance. From there you can apply mechanics and determin
the rate of change of energy. IMHO, it takes about 1200 Watts t
achieve steady state 70 MPH in a tuck

--
Weisse Luft

Old September 2nd 04, 05:12 PM
Dave Thompson

"Tuschinski" wrote in
message ...

I call major BS. Over 70 MPH is nonsense.

--
Tuschinski

And why is that?