flashlight mount

Old September 27th 04, 02:41 AM
josh

Default flashlight mount

Hello,

First, let me say, I do not hope to start a lighting war. I have a
question about flashlight mounts as the subject line suggest. At one
time I saw on the internet somewhere a flashlight mount that seemed to
be a quality device. It appeared to attach to the fork or possibly a
rack. It seemed to be made of metal of some sort. I have not been able
to find anything like it since. My question is does anyone know about
any such device? Does something like it exsist and if so does it work?
It seemed like it would esily hold a large maglite like flashlight.
I would like to check it out again. Thanks for any help.

joshua
Old September 27th 04, 11:31 AM
Doug Goncz

I had one at least three years ago that would hold a D cell flashlight. It
mounted between the headset locknut and the headset cone on a threaded headset.
It was all steel, with a stamped hole having the orienting tab for the slot in
the fork steerer column, and was angled downward with two pairs of clips bent
up in a circular shape. The flashlight mounted and came out readily and stayed
secure.

It seemed like it would last forever. Steel doesn't crack when elastically
fatigued below its yield stress. Aluminum does.

Now, where to buy it. It was imported, I am almost sure. And cheap. Just plated
steel.

Yours,
Doug Goncz ( ftp://users.aol.com/DGoncz/incoming )
Student member SAE for one year.
I love: Dona, Jeff, Kim, Mom, Neelix, Tasha, and Teri, alphabetically.
I drive: A double-step Thunderbolt with 657% range.
Old September 27th 04, 12:46 PM
SpearSlinger1

Don't know about that particular mount, but I use a 4 AA dive light, m
back-up for night spearfishing, that puts out 4 watts/28 lumens an
works well as a headlight on my hybrid. All I did was to wrap
half-dozen layers of eletrical tape around the 'bars for the frictio
to hold the light at the proper angle and for a little bit of a pad
Then mounted the light with a big, fat zip-tie. I placed the light o
top of the 'bars to the right of center and holding the slot end of th
zip-tie on top of the light went across to the right with the point
end, down and foreward under the 'bars, up and over the light to th
left, down and under the 'bars to the rear, then up through the slot i
the zip-tie, cut off the excess and viola, 4 watt headlight. Of cours
I can't take it off again without cutting the zip-tie, but I can liv
with that since I have a bunch more in a multitude of different sizes
Rain? This light is waterproof down to something like 2000 feet, wa
deeper than I want to be cycling.;

--
SpearSlinger1

Old September 27th 04, 12:48 PM
Gary Jacobson

I think Wahl makes a D cell flashlight holder.
Didn't Paul make a holder for the Mag flashlights?
I see these things on E-Bay.

Gary Jacobson
Rosendale, NY

Old September 27th 04, 01:19 PM
Stephen Bauman

Flashlights used to be de rigeur for French cyclists on brevet rides. They
used even 3 and 4 D-cell models to try to light the way in front of them.

They used one of two mounting types. There was a special mount that took
the place of the fixed nut for a quick release skewer. The preferred mount
was via a clip or metal strap to the front carrier. The same mount can be
achieved by using a hose clamp around the flashlight.

Flashlights do not provide a satisfactory solution for illuminating the
road for cyclists. Flashlights provide a fairly narrow beam. They do not
illuminate a lane's width directly in front of the bike. Flashlights are
held together by screw fittings for the bulb and batteries. These will
vibrate loose during a ride. The Paris-Brest-Paris course was littered
with various flashlight parts during the two times I completed the ride.

Steve

Old September 27th 04, 03:36 PM
BantaE

(josh) wrote in message Hello,

First, let me say, I do not hope to start a lighting war. I have a
question about flashlight mounts as the subject line suggest. At one
time I saw on the internet somewhere a flashlight mount that seemed to
be a quality device. It appeared to attach to the fork or possibly a
rack. It seemed to be made of metal of some sort. I have not been able
to find anything like it since. My question is does anyone know about
any such device? Does something like it exsist and if so does it work?
It seemed like it would esily hold a large maglite like flashlight.
I would like to check it out again. Thanks for any help.

joshua

Take a look at this one and see if that is what you are looking for.
It is listed about 3/4 way down the page

http://www.twofishunlimited.com/bike.html

Eric
Old September 28th 04, 03:03 AM
Marcus Coles

josh wrote:
Hello,

First, let me say, I do not hope to start a lighting war. I have a
question about flashlight mounts as the subject line suggest. At one
time I saw on the internet somewhere a flashlight mount that seemed to
be a quality device. It appeared to attach to the fork or possibly a
rack. It seemed to be made of metal of some sort. I have not been able
to find anything like it since. My question is does anyone know about
any such device? Does something like it exsist and if so does it work?
It seemed like it would esily hold a large maglite like flashlight.
I would like to check it out again. Thanks for any help.

joshua

Maybe not as exotic as you were looking for

http://www.bikepartsusa.com/product_...ml?p=01-169650

white silver or black WALD made in USA

Marcus

Old September 28th 04, 05:47 PM
g.daniels

search bike.tech toIY mount flash light

didn't outduhthink the computer!
Old September 28th 04, 07:53 PM
Michael

josh wrote:

Hello,

First, let me say, I do not hope to start a lighting war. I have a
question about flashlight mounts as the subject line suggest. At one
time I saw on the internet somewhere a flashlight mount that seemed to
be a quality device. It appeared to attach to the fork or possibly a
rack. It seemed to be made of metal of some sort. I have not been able
to find anything like it since. My question is does anyone know about
any such device? Does something like it exsist and if so does it work?
It seemed like it would esily hold a large maglite like flashlight.
I would like to check it out again. Thanks for any help.

joshua

I've seen 'em. Don't remember where but I wish I did; I want one.
BUT ... I think you don't want to use a filament bulbed flashlight.
MagLites are that kind. I love my half dozen Maglites but won't clamp
one to my bike because I fear I would go broke replacing the bulb
several times per week. I suspect shock and vibration would quickly
kill the filament because my MiniMag's bulb seems to die prematurely
when the light rolls off my work table and drops 2.5 ft. to the thick
carpet. I think an LED flashlight is what you and I should clamp to the
bikes.