Bottle holder

Old May 28th 19, 05:10 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joy Beeson

Default Bottle holder

On Sun, 26 May 2019 09:58:04 +0700, John B.
wrote:

A correlation might be "do it the simple way and you won't get hurt".
Just stick the damned bottle in your pocket :-)

All five of my pockets are fully occupied with vital stuff. And I
have two bottle cages. Sometimes I have to keep a third bottle in a
pannier, because water sources keep vanishing.

--
Joy Beeson
joy beeson at comcast dot net
Old May 28th 19, 05:11 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joy Beeson

On Sat, 25 May 2019 20:48:31 -0700, Jeff Liebermann
wrote:

I raided the local thrift shops and flea
markets where I bought a rather motley collection of $1/ea used knives
upon which to practice.

Occam's razor: I always have a disposable single-edge razor blade
about my person.

Except when I'm home in my grubbies and have an assortment of knives
to choose from.

I usually sharpen pencils with an "Exacto" scalpel. A whetstone works
fine on it; I've been using the same blade for decades.

Old May 28th 19, 07:19 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B. Slocomb

wrote:

I raided the local thrift shops and flea
markets where I bought a rather motley collection of $1/ea used knives
upon which to practice.

Occam's razor: I always have a disposable single-edge razor blade
about my person.

Except when I'm home in my grubbies and have an assortment of knives
to choose from.

I usually sharpen pencils with an "Exacto" scalpel. A whetstone works
fine on it; I've been using the same blade for decades.

I've found that a regular old fashioned hand crank pencil sharpener
works well, Well :=) except for drafting pencils, but who drafts with
a pencil anymore?
--

Cheers,

John B.
Old May 28th 19, 08:28 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

wrote:

A correlation might be "do it the simple way and you won't get hurt".
Just stick the damned bottle in your pocket :-)

All five of my pockets are fully occupied with vital stuff. And I
have two bottle cages. Sometimes I have to keep a third bottle in a
pannier, because water sources keep vanishing.

Remember to bring a faucet key. It expands the number of available water
sources
https://mobileimages.lowes.com/product/converted/046224/046224206200.jpg.

Old May 28th 19, 01:20 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_2_]

wrote:

A correlation might be "do it the simple way and you won't get hurt".
Just stick the damned bottle in your pocket :-)

All five of my pockets are fully occupied with vital stuff. And I
have two bottle cages. Sometimes I have to keep a third bottle in a
pannier, because water sources keep vanishing.

Yes, John's suggestion is a good example of ignoring Occam's first
requirement that you have multiple actual solutions. g
Old May 28th 19, 04:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

wrote:

I raided the local thrift shops and flea
markets where I bought a rather motley collection of $1/ea used knives
upon which to practice.

Occam's razor: I always have a disposable single-edge razor blade
about my person.

I just borrow Occam's when I need one.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old May 28th 19, 04:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

wrote:

I raided the local thrift shops and flea
markets where I bought a rather motley collection of $1/ea used knives
upon which to practice.

Occam's razor: I always have a disposable single-edge razor blade
about my person.

Except when I'm home in my grubbies and have an assortment of knives
to choose from.

I usually sharpen pencils with an "Exacto" scalpel. A whetstone works
fine on it; I've been using the same blade for decades.

I've found that a regular old fashioned hand crank pencil sharpener
works well, Well :=) except for drafting pencils, but who drafts with
a pencil anymore?

Funny you should ask. In the folder on the desk in front of me is a
design I did all in pencil. I worked on it in various places at various
times, and it progressed gradually from sketches to more formal drawings.

I was once considered a very good draftsman, including descriptive
geometry, and ended up teaching a few advanced drafting courses. But CAD
has devalued that skill.

I've done some designs using 3D modeling (mostly the free SketchUp
software). It's got its uses, but I still prefer the freedom of pencil
and paper.

In his book _The Pencil_, Henry Petroski tells of Thoreau carefully
listing every single item he planned to take to his famous getaway cabin
by Walden Pond. But as Petroski noted, Thoreau omitted one very
important one: the pencil with which he was writing the list! The
lesson? Pencils get no respect.

Pretty good book, BTW. Who knew Thoreau was a materials engineer?

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old May 28th 19, 05:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

wrote:

[...]

He and his family were successful pencil manufacturers.
Halfway down this page:
http://www.pencilrevolution.com/tag/ticonderoga/

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old May 28th 19, 07:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joy Beeson

On Tue, 28 May 2019 13:19:46 +0700, John B. Slocomb
wrote:

I've found that a regular old fashioned hand crank pencil sharpener
works well, Well :=) except for drafting pencils, but who drafts with
a pencil anymore?

I deeply regret leaving our hand-crank pencil sharpener behind when we
moved. There's a pencil sharpener in the laundry room, but it's a
newer model of very poor quality. When I want to sharpen a #2 pencil,
I use my spouse's electric. Not as precise as a hand crank, but it's
there. And I'm not fussy about my #2 pencils.

The iron-on pencil, the nonce pencil, and the crayon pencils take more
care.

Old May 28th 19, 10:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Theodore Heise[_2_]

wrote:

I've found that a regular old fashioned hand crank pencil sharpener
works well, Well :=) except for drafting pencils, but who drafts with
a pencil anymore?

I deeply regret leaving our hand-crank pencil sharpener behind
when we moved. There's a pencil sharpener in the laundry room,
but it's a newer model of very poor quality. When I want to
sharpen a #2 pencil, I use my spouse's electric. Not as
precise as a hand crank, but it's there. And I'm not fussy
about my #2 pencils.

I second this! My mother had a hand crank sharpener that was
ancient when I was young--well over 50 years ago. Nothing I've
come across since did even half as well as that remarkable
machine.

--
Ted Heise West Lafayette, IN, USA