AG: Aunt Granny's Advice, or How to become an elderly cyclist:

Old June 10th 19, 02:45 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Joy Beeson

Default AG: Scraping the notes

At the bottom of the first page of my notes on Tue 4 June 2019: "AG:
overtaken stop pedal".

At the time, that was enough to remind me of what I meant to write
about being overtaken by a larger vehicle, but right now all I can
remember is that it's often a good idea to stop pedalling once it's on
your left so as to shorten the time spent beside it.

There's a lot more to it, but it's pushing bedtime and I'm not very
bright. Perhaps I'll open my training diary and transcribe the notes
that have been accumulating for a couple of months.

At least I've been geting out! The roads were slick the whole winter;
writing notes faster than I can process them is a real luxury.

Reminds me of the cellphone discussion raging over on bikes.tech -- I
write the time at every stop, except when I forget, so I consult my
cellphone frequently on every ride. Writing the time was originally
part of a scheme to get my top speed above five miles per hour, but I
haven't had time to calculate my speeds recently.

I also use the phone to reassure my spouse that I'm not lying in a
ditch waiting for a road crew to notice my red scarf and tell their
dispatcher to call for an ambulance.

I think maybe the scar is less lumpy than it was before I started
rubbing Vitamin-E oil on it. Pity I didn't take a close-up photograph
before I started.

(People in cars couldn't see into the ditch. The guys in the high
truck could.)

--
Joy Beeson
joy beeson at comcast dot net

Old June 15th 19, 05:22 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Joy Beeson

Default AG: Communication is everything

Communication is almost all there is to safety on the road, and it
isn't all communication with other humans.

Today I slogged up a hill because two large dogs were frolicking on a
lawn to my left. If I had shifted down, my feet would have begun to
move faster.

To a dog, breaking into a run is an unequivocal announcement that you
are up to no good, and must be chased and harried until you are well
away from its territory.

Old June 16th 19, 04:15 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Joy Beeson

Here's a note scraped in a more-timely fashion.

Yesterday I rode an honest quarter century, and with some modest hills
(Though I went around hills whenever possible). Before heading out
into the country, I spent a couple of hours walking around in Meijer,
and just before *that*, I took a quick lap around the Goodwill store
(charity second-hand shop).

Something yellow caught my eye on the men's shirts rack, and I found
an honest-to-goodness oval-cut jersey! Too transparent, and made
entirely of plastic, not to mention that oval cut is really silly for
someone who actually *uses* the pockets, so I wasn't tempted to try it
on.

I wonder how many of the people who see it have a clue as to what it
is?

I also wonder whether "oval cut" is still the trade term for making a
jersey longer in the back for coverage when you get down on the drops?
Oval cut makes a lot of sense for track jerseys, but I carry up to a
pound of coins in my wallet, so my jerseys are cut *shorter* in back
than in front. Well, not cut; I put darts across the back. Except
for the woven jersies, which have a drawstring around the waist. I'm
thinking of retrofitting the knit-fabric jerseys with belt casings and
taking out a dart or two.

I tried belt loops on the older of the cotton jerseys, and they work,
but a casing across the back would work better.

Old June 23rd 19, 04:39 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Joy Beeson

Default AG: My first batch of switchel

"My first" makes me think of George and her first mouse. She lost it
in her own belly fur and frantically frisked herself.

Friday, 21 June 2019

It's been months or years since I had leg cramps, but I woke up from
my nap after today's ride with a doozy. I started to throw one leg
out of bed, the calf cramped up, I grabbed my foot to stretch the
gastrocnemius, that touched the other leg off, and things went back
and forth for a while. I even got cramps in the thighs. It stopped
when I finally managed to stand up.

So I opened a can of tonic, added a generous squirt of lime juice, and
reflected that I've thrown sweat-soaked clothing into the washer after
every ride of late -- it must be time to start making switchel.

Traditionally, switchel is diluted molasses, often tarted up with
vinegar and ginger. In New England, they added oatmeal.

Some day I'm actually going to put in molasses. I'm pretty sure there
is half a bottle of it in the freezer.

So far I have in the saucepan:

A quarter cup of the syrup off bread-and-butter pickles.
A stalk of rubarb, sliced thin.
One cup of water.
A tablespoon of frozen cranberries for color (the rhubarb is green).
A tablespoon of dried ginger -- the store where I bought fresh ginger
last year is no more (whimper).
A quarter cup of steel-cut oats. I went to the freezer for brown
rice, saw the oats, and decided to go traditional.

I think half a teaspoon of Lite Salt (equal parts of potassium
chloride and sodium chloride) will finish it.

The package says that the oats will soak up most of the cup of water.
The cranberries will also soak up some. (I'd like to know how
juice-drink manufacturers manage to get "juice" from cranberries.
Surely it's a water extract!) The rhubarb should cook out some juice,
but last time I boiled some, it didn't.

I have saved a 24-oz honey bottle to carry switchel concentrate in.
Honey weighs twelve pounds to the gallon. Water weighs eight pounds
to the gallon. Two thirds of twenty-four is sixteen. That bottle
doesn't *look* like a pint.

I added one cup of water. That should make half a bottle. I'll
probably add some honey while it's hot enough to dissolve it, and if
the rubarb isn't sour enough, a squirt of lemon or lime.

The residue in the strainer, with butter and maple syrup, will be my
bedtime snack.

--------------------

It made eleven ounces of concentrate. I added enough honey to make it
twelve. The porridge required neither butter nor sweetener.

The cranberries imparted no color at all, but looked nice in my
porridge.

--------------------

Saturday, 22 June 2019

It farmers' markets day! /stan frieberg

I poured the switchel concentrate into the honey bottle, then rinsed
the measuring jar it had cooled in with a cup of water and poured it
into my translucent water bottle twice. Then I added enough
concentrate to impart a slightly-starchy flavor and put the
concentrate in the fridge. (I was planning to get home pretty soon
after finishing the first bottle, and there are few places to get more
water on the farmers' markets loop. Also, the room-temperature
concentrate would have melted my ice.)

There wasn't the slightest trace of sour, so I added a few hearty
squirts of an inferior lime juice that I bought yesterday. It's "from
concentrate" but I don't think they used much concentrate; one has to
come pretty close to drinking it straight to detect any lime flavor,
when it's tasted straight, the bitter conceals the sour. At least
having to put in lots each time means that the 4.6 fl oz/133 ml bottle
won't last very long. Then I can buy better juice in a less-expensive
store.

I filled the bottle with ice cubes, which were pretty much melted by
the time I ate breakfast and got dressed, and put it in the cage.

A little starch in the water gets it out of the stomach faster, and a
little tartness in the water gets it into the mouth faster. I had
only half a bottle of water left when I got home about two hours after
I left.

I topped the half-full bottle off and left the empty bottle on the
counter before I went back to pick up lunch for two. I thought that I
might want the empty cage for the drink that comes with the special,
but I put it into my insulated pannier before bungeeing the foam box
of sandwich on top.

It's been years since Sweet Dreams switched from giving you the drink
in a cup to letting you select from a display of bottles and cans, but
old habits die hard. Also, they might switch back without warning.

It was a pretty good sandwich. We saved the can of fizzwater for
later, as I'd hit some bumps on the way home.