No More Fixing Flats

Old July 10th 09, 03:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jay Beattie

Default No More Fixing Flats

According to this morning's Oregonian newspaper, AAA is now offering
roadside assistance to stranded bicyclists in Oregon and parts of
Idaho. http://www.oregonlive.com/news/index...assitance.html
-- Jay Beattie.
Old July 11th 09, 03:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
ru4linux2

On Jul 10, 9:09*am, Jay Beattie wrote:
According to this morning's Oregonian newspaper, AAA is now offering
roadside assistance to stranded bicyclists in Oregon and parts of
Idaho.http://www.oregonlive.com/news/index...gins_roadside_...
-- Jay Beattie.

All you need to do is to use AirFree Tires.

They have worked extremely well for me, on several different bikes,
for about 10 years.

Lewis.

*****
Old July 11th 09, 03:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
someone

On 11 July, 15:13, ru4linux2 wrote:
On Jul 10, 9:09*am, Jay Beattie wrote:

According to this morning's Oregonian newspaper, AAA is now offering
roadside assistance to stranded bicyclists in Oregon and parts of
Idaho.http://www.oregonlive.com/news/index...gins_roadside_...
-- Jay Beattie.

All you need to do is to use AirFree Tires.

They have worked extremely well for me, on several different bikes,
for about 10 years.

Lewis.

*****

Needs a 48" wheel or larger/
Old July 11th 09, 05:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

ru4linux2 wrote:
All you need to do is to use AirFree Tires.
They have worked extremely well for me, on several different bikes,
for about 10 years.

Peter and I are enamored of regular 399g tubs while Lewis
prefers a pound of urethane.
Choice is good.
Humans are individuals with varying needs and tastes so one
size hardly ever fits all.
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Old July 11th 09, 06:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

ru4linux2 wrote:
All you need to do is to use AirFree Tires.
They have worked extremely well for me, on several different bikes,
for about 10 years.

Peter and I are enamored of regular 399g tubs while Lewis prefers a
pound of urethane.
Choice is good.
Humans are individuals with varying needs and tastes so one size hardly
ever fits all.

typo: 300 gram tubs

Old July 11th 09, 08:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
someone

ru4linux2 wrote:
All you need to do is to use AirFree Tires.
They have worked extremely well for me, on several different bikes,
for about 10 years.

Peter and I are enamored of regular XXXx [300g] tubs while Lewis
prefers a pound of urethane.
Choice is good.
Humans are individuals with varying needs and tastes so one
size hardly ever fits all.

I prefer 9oz tubs with a (now) 15/16" cross-section, even if they are
French. They were once 23mm and around 300g, and have been adjusted
by flattening the seam. Easy, but time consuming. The adjusted tyre
(s) now sit securely on the rear rim. I wouldn't have bothered only
for Jobst fretting about softening rim mastic and thought I better use
these things as they were designed, not as they were manufactured.
The protruding ferrules dont help and I may remove them, the rims are
GP4 copies, heavy and stiff. Spoke tension is 170lb and the inner
wall is thick (how much?).
Old July 12th 09, 09:23 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jay[_5_]

ru4linux2 wrote:
All you need to do is to use AirFree Tires.
They have worked extremely well for me, on several different bikes,
for about 10 years.

Peter and I are enamored of regular 399g tubs while Lewis
prefers a pound of urethane.
Choice is good.
Humans are individuals with varying needs and tastes so one
size hardly ever fits all.
--
Andrew Muzi
* www.yellowjersey.org/
* Open every day since 1 April, 1971

Which brands & models are 339 tubs? If they give siginificantly less
flats, I'm game tor tubies again.
Old July 12th 09, 08:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

ru4linux2 wrote:
All you need to do is to use AirFree Tires.
They have worked extremely well for me, on several different bikes,
for about 10 years.

Peter and I are enamored of regular 399g tubs while Lewis
prefers a pound of urethane.
Choice is good.
Humans are individuals with varying needs and tastes so one
size hardly ever fits all.
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

Which brands & models are 339 tubs? If they give siginificantly less
flats, I'm game tor tubies again.

My apologies, the typo should have been "300g"

Old July 12th 09, 09:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
someone

ru4linux2 wrote:
All you need to do is to use AirFree Tires.
They have worked extremely well for me, on several different bikes,
for about 10 years.

Peter and I are enamored of regular 399g tubs while Lewis
prefers a pound of urethane.
Choice is good.
Humans are individuals with varying needs and tastes so one
size hardly ever fits all.
--
Andrew Muzi
* www.yellowjersey.org/
* Open every day since 1 April, 1971

Which brands & models are 339 tubs? If they give siginificantly less
flats, I'm game tor tubies again.

If you can find good tubs at a good price, buy at least five for need
of puncture rotation so that you are always carrying at least two good
spares. And then spares for future replacement, as long as what you
have is really good. Having changed onto your only spare and having
most of the ride to come is not the best of feelings. Using skimmers
works, mostly. Repairing a tub at the side of the road is probably OK
once you;'ve had practice at home. Tubs do not as a rule suffer from
pinch flats. Lower inflation pressures also make them less
susceptable (in comparison with a HP of similar casing and tread) to
thorn puncture.
Old July 17th 09, 01:17 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mike A Schwab

On Jul 12, 3:30*pm, someone wrote:
deleted
If you can find good tubs at a good price, buy at least five for need
of puncture rotation so that you are always carrying at least two good
spares. And then spares for future replacement, as long as what you
have is really good. Having changed onto your only spare and having
most of the ride to come is not the best of feelings. *Using skimmers
works, mostly. *Repairing a tub at the side of the road is probably OK
once you;'ve had practice at home. *Tubs do not as a rule suffer from
pinch flats. *Lower inflation pressures also make them less
susceptable (in comparison with a HP of similar casing and tread) to
thorn puncture.

I would avoid electric pumps after patching rubber construction that
confine air.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/8153387.stm

A German man has blown up his flat while trying to mend an inflatable
mattress, local fire officials say.

The man from the western city of Dusseldorf used car tyre solvent to
repair a hole and left it overnight.

But when he tried to inflate the mattress the next day, it was ignited
by a spark from an electric air pump.

The explosion blasted the sitting room wall into a stairwell and blew
out windows. Both the man, 45, and his daughter, three, suffered
burns.

more in article

Fixing your uni T.M.C. Unicycling 8 November 30th 08 02:35 AM
Need help fixing cranks? littleman Unicycling 3 July 24th 07 09:54 PM
Fixing to Fix Don Whybrow UK 18 April 14th 07 10:02 AM
Fixing bikes Doki UK 21 March 17th 04 09:23 PM
Fixing an old bike Suzy Jackson Australia 50 September 30th 03 09:16 AM