Wrong direction cyclist crashes into car

Old October 30th 13, 09:12 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
MrCheerful

Default Wrong direction cyclist crashes into car

Cyclist on wrong side of the road whizzes downhill and piles into the
side of a car trying to pull out. I trust he has insurance and faces
careless cycling charges.

http://www.northdevonjournal.co.uk/B...ail/story.html
Old October 30th 13, 09:52 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling

On Wednesday, 30 October 2013 08:12:18 UTC, Mrcheerful wrote:
Cyclist on wrong side of the road whizzes downhill and piles into the
side of a car trying to pull out. I trust he has insurance and faces
careless cycling charges.

http://www.northdevonjournal.co.uk/B...ail/story.html

"Someone flashed me out, and so I pulled out onto the road just as a young man on a bike crashed into the side of my car"
" I didn't think to look to my left "

Old October 30th 13, 10:02 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
MrCheerful

On 30/10/2013 08:52, wrote:
On Wednesday, 30 October 2013 08:12:18 UTC, Mrcheerful wrote:
Cyclist on wrong side of the road whizzes downhill and piles into the
side of a car trying to pull out. I trust he has insurance and faces
careless cycling charges.

http://www.northdevonjournal.co.uk/B...ail/story.html

"Someone flashed me out, and so I pulled out onto the road just as a young man on a bike crashed into the side of my car"
" I didn't think to look to my left"

Why would you? there is a cycle path each side of the road, clearly
marked with direction of travel. How many directions do you expect
traffic to come from? The cyclist was on the wrong side of the road and
travelling downhill too fast to stop.
Old October 30th 13, 11:09 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Bertie Wooster[_2_]

=====Quote=====
"Someone flashed me out, and so I pulled out onto the road just as a
young man on a bike crashed into the side of my car."
=====/Quote=====

A flash of headlights is a warning, not a signal that it is safe to
pull out of a drive.

The driver should be charged with dangerous driving for ignoring that
clear warning signal.

The footway cyclist should face a FPN, if appropriate, for cycling on
the pavement.
Old October 30th 13, 11:18 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
jnugent

On 30/10/2013 10:09, Bertie Wooster wrote:

Mrcheerful wrote:

Cyclist on wrong side of the road whizzes downhill and piles into the
side of a car trying to pull out. I trust he has insurance and faces
careless cycling charges.

http://www.northdevonjournal.co.uk/B...ail/story.html

=====Quote=====
"Someone flashed me out, and so I pulled out onto the road just as a
young man on a bike crashed into the side of my car."
=====/Quote=====

A flash of headlights is a warning, not a signal that it is safe to
pull out of a drive.

That's tripe.

Signals mean what they are intended to mean by the person doing the
signalling, not what you or anyone else say they would mean if only your
definition were made to prevail. A flash of the headlamps, in the
context described, means "I am giving way to you". It does not mean
anything else.

The driver should be charged with dangerous driving for ignoring that
clear warning signal.

Yet more rubbish, based on the rubbish you posted above.

The footway cyclist should face a FPN, if appropriate, for cycling on
the pavement.

And civil liability for the damage he caused.
Old October 30th 13, 11:56 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling

On Wednesday, 30 October 2013 10:18:03 UTC, JNugent wrote:

A flash of the headlamps, in the
context described, means "I am giving way to you". It does not mean
anything else.

Indeed it does. Unfortunately, gormless motorists misinterpret it.

Old October 30th 13, 12:24 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Bertie Wooster[_2_]

Mrcheerful wrote:

[...]

Even if that is true, and I can find nothing in the Higway Code to
suggest that is what a flash of the lights mean, it certainly does not
mean, "the way is clear for you to proceed".

The driver should be charged with dangerous driving for ignoring that
clear warning signal.

Yet more rubbish, based on the rubbish you posted above.

The footway cyclist should face a FPN, if appropriate, for cycling on
the pavement.

And civil liability for the damage he caused.

What was the cause of the crash? The cyclist being on the footway, or
the driver interpreting a warning signal to mean, "the way is clear
for you to proceed"?