Disk Brakes

Old January 19th 04, 09:04 PM
john

Default Disk Brakes

Ok, I have just got a bike with mechanical disk brakes....I took the wheels
off and since refitting them the brakes bind a little. The wheels are
located fully in their mounting slots. Were the brakes just set up with the
wheels not quite in their correct positions or is a little bit of binding
normal?

Any advice would be appreciated

--
New Updates at The Bughaus!

www.thebughaus.co.uk

Old January 20th 04, 01:40 AM
(Pete Cresswell)

RE/
Any advice would be appreciated

Are they Avids?
--
PeteCresswell
Old January 21st 04, 01:39 AM
Bill Wheeler

On Mon, 19 Jan 2004 21:04:06 -0000, "john"
wrote:

Ok, I have just got a bike with mechanical disk brakes....I took the wheels
off and since refitting them the brakes bind a little. The wheels are
located fully in their mounting slots. Were the brakes just set up with the
wheels not quite in their correct positions or is a little bit of binding
normal?

Any advice would be appreciated

Check to make sure the pads are seated properly.

Did you squeeze the brake lever without the rotor between the pads?

You should be able to adjust them.

Read the manual or find one and then read it.

Peace,
Bill
....one speed to rule them all, one speed to find them,
one speed to bring them all and on the trails pass them
In the Land of Avalon where the geared pigs lie...
Old January 21st 04, 07:38 PM
D H

wrote:

Ok, I have just got a bike with mechanical disk brakes....I took the

wheels
off and since refitting them the brakes bind a little. The wheels are
located fully in their mounting slots. Were the brakes just set up with

the
wheels not quite in their correct positions or is a little bit of binding
normal?

Any advice would be appreciated

Check to make sure the pads are seated properly.

Did you squeeze the brake lever without the rotor between the pads?

For clarity's sake, Bill, you do mean that one should NOT squeeze the
lever without the rotor (or some other substitute filler) between the pads,
correct? (At least that is the case with Hayes hydraulic.)
--
D N
I E T S

Reply to group. (Detestible spammers!)

Old January 22nd 04, 01:44 AM
Bill Wheeler

On Wed, 21 Jan 2004 14:38:30 -0500, "D H" wrote:

For clarity's sake, Bill, you do mean that one should NOT squeeze the
lever without the rotor (or some other substitute filler) between the pads,
correct? (At least that is the case with Hayes hydraulic.)

Yes that is what I mean. With my Avid mechs you even need to be
careful.

Peace,
Bill
....one speed to rule them all, one speed to find them,
one speed to bring them all and on the trails pass them
In the Land of Avalon where the geared pigs lie...

Which cuttable hose for old Shimano XT disk brakes? PETER THOMPSON General 1 February 1st 04 05:03 AM
Mechanical Disc Brakes John Appleby Mountain Biking 8 September 25th 03 12:45 AM
which disc brakes to buy Ermo Mountain Biking 6 September 3rd 03 10:46 PM
Disc Brakes... TJ Mountain Biking 27 July 11th 03 01:29 PM
What to replace Novatech cable disk brakes with? Paul Gravestock Mountain Biking 0 June 26th 03 12:25 AM