30 on the flats!

Old April 1st 05, 02:53 PM
jj

Default 30 on the flats!

Yesterday was a pretty good day as I hit 30mph on the flats for the first
time. Granted I could only hold it for 10-15 seconds when the road started
up hill, but uh, yay, me.

I've been trying for 30 for about a month when I had to go on antibiotics
for 10 days and things dropped off...er, by that I mean ability. ;-/

In a spot where I normally get about 27mph, I noticed I was hitting 28 and
got psyched so I cranked it up and was able to hit 30.5 just before the
hill. It wasn't that hard. I can see getting 35 in the near future since I
hit that speed wearing my nylon shell:
http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...egory_ID=1130#
....which acts a little like a parachute.

Now, the trick is to be able to sustain. BTW, it feels pretty cool to be
riding that fast. I remember hitting 30 in my Univ. days, but that was with
an old analogue speedometer so who knows how accurate it was.

So when they tell ya 'the legs are the first thing to go', don't believe
'em. Maybe this post will be a motivator for others in the ng. ;-)

jj

Old April 1st 05, 03:34 PM
Claire Petersky

"jj" wrote in message
Yesterday was a pretty good day as I hit 30mph on the flats for the first
time. Granted I could only hold it for 10-15 seconds when the road started
up hill, but uh, yay, me.

*clap* *clap* *clap* Yay for you too!

--
Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky

See the books I've set free at:

Old April 1st 05, 04:00 PM
jj

On Fri, 1 Apr 2005 06:34:33 -0800, "Claire Petersky"
wrote:

"jj" wrote in message
.. .
Yesterday was a pretty good day as I hit 30mph on the flats for the first
time. Granted I could only hold it for 10-15 seconds when the road started
up hill, but uh, yay, me.

*clap* *clap* *clap* Yay for you too!

Tanks, CP. Backatcha for the great posts, most recently the rain and hail
piece. Most motivating.

jj

Old April 1st 05, 04:02 PM
bbaka

jj wrote:
Yesterday was a pretty good day as I hit 30mph on the flats for the first
time. Granted I could only hold it for 10-15 seconds when the road started
up hill, but uh, yay, me.

3 cheers for that mark.

I've been trying for 30 for about a month when I had to go on antibiotics
for 10 days and things dropped off...er, by that I mean ability. ;-/

Yes it does more than you would think as I have found that out this last
really rainy winter. The legs are still there but the long distance
endurance needs to be built up again.

In a spot where I normally get about 27mph, I noticed I was hitting 28 and
got psyched so I cranked it up and was able to hit 30.5 just before the
hill. It wasn't that hard. I can see getting 35 in the near future since I
hit that speed wearing my nylon shell:
http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...egory_ID=1130#
....which acts a little like a parachute.

Now, the trick is to be able to sustain. BTW, it feels pretty cool to be
riding that fast. I remember hitting 30 in my Univ. days, but that was with
an old analogue speedometer so who knows how accurate it was.

Here is what I used to do way back in high school when I was riding
about a mile each way. Wait for a school bus to start out behind me and
then accelerate like crazy up to about 25 something. At that point the
bus would come up and just pass me and I would tuck in behind and catch
the draft. I was always able to draft the bus up to their cruising speed
of about 35 MPH for the 3/4 mile straight drive to school. Whether they
were doing 35 or 38 or whatever I stayed about 10-15 feet behind the bus
and peeled off into the bike parking area when they got to the school.
That was definitely a fun ride to school and this was on a pre-1963
Peugeot. Now I try big trucks but get lost when they start to go over
35-38 MPH.
Try it, it is fun, just pay attention.

So when they tell ya 'the legs are the first thing to go', don't believe
'em. Maybe this post will be a motivator for others in the ng. ;-)

I will bet that most people can still do a good burst of speed but not
for as long as at the end of last summer, and the same probably holds
true for the endurance rides over 50 miles.

jj

The sun is out again so Spring/Summer are trying to sneak in.
Time to get riding more.
Bill Baka
Old April 1st 05, 04:34 PM
Neil Brooks

jj wrote:

Yesterday was a pretty good day as I hit 30mph on the flats for the first
time. Granted I could only hold it for 10-15 seconds when the road started
up hill, but uh, yay, me.

Motorpacing:

http://www.northbrookvelodrome.org/king/poser_motor.php

http://www.trisite.com/site/447770/page/74162

Now go for 50 ;-)
Old April 2nd 05, 01:30 AM
Jeff Starr

On Fri, 01 Apr 2005 07:02:34 -0800, bbaka wrote:

jj wrote:
[...]

Obviously another April 1st post by little bill. I don't even think he
has a speedometer, so all the posts about speed, distance, and cadence
are all estimates [read exaggerations].

Life is Good!
Jeff
Old April 2nd 05, 04:55 AM
bbaka

Jeff Starr wrote:

The sun is out again so Spring/Summer are trying to sneak in.
Time to get riding more.
Bill Baka

Obviously another April 1st post by little bill. I don't even think he
has a speedometer, so all the posts about speed, distance, and cadence
are all estimates [read exaggerations].

Jeff,
You are a ****ing moron. When I rode the bus instead of drafting it the
driver routinely went 35-38, but no more since it was his job. Drafting
the same bus the next day with the same driver pretty much says I was
drafting at 35-38.

FWIW I rode about 50 miles today and took some actual video and pictures
of the spillway at Camp Far West reservoir. The spillway is overflowing
so bad there are rapids below it. Just that sight made it worth the long
ride. Just to rub it in, I did the entire ride on no breakfast and with
only water, about 48 Oz worth in 2 bottles.

I can now feel my legs so the muscle is rebuilding after a lackluster
winter, but the sit down is rubbed kind of sore from my Levi jeans
habit. Maybe I will wear my double layer swim trunks for undies and if I
find a good swimming spot I will be ready.

Life is Good!
Jeff

Yeah, it is good, but in the morning I will still be here and you will
still be on my 'idiot' list.
Damn good day for April 1st.
Bill Baka
Old April 2nd 05, 06:12 AM
Vic

On Fri, 01 Apr 2005 08:53:03 -0500, jj wrote:

[...]

It would be quite something to hit 35, but it will take about 150%
of the effort that is required to reach 30.

Old April 2nd 05, 06:59 AM
jj

On Sat, 02 Apr 2005 06:12:47 +0100, Vic
wrote:

So when they tell ya 'the legs are the first thing to go', don't believe
'em. Maybe this post will be a motivator for others in the ng. ;-)

It would be quite something to hit 35, but it will take about 150%
of the effort that is required to reach 30.

Well considering that I'm only in my second year back on the bike and still
have about 30lbs to lose, I'm hopeful that I could sprint to 35 for a few
seconds. I am well aware that the power curve is not linear. ;-) When I got
30mph I was still holding back some because the road is not that great and
there are often cars pulling out unexpectedly, btw.

What is the top speed of the pro sprinters? Didn't Petacchi average 84km/hr
in the last 400m in Milan San Remo? Of course he may have had a 53/11 on
the bike. ;-)

jj

Old April 2nd 05, 07:56 AM
Rich

bbaka wrote:
Jeff Starr wrote:
Obviously another April 1st post by little bill. I don't even think he
has a speedometer, so all the posts about speed, distance, and cadence
are all estimates [read exaggerations].

Jeff,
You are a ****ing moron.

Do you have speedometer, little bill, or is Jeff in fact correct in
saying all your posts about speed, distance, and cadence are all
estimates? And if he is in fact correct, then why would you think he's
a moron?

And aren't you old enough to communicate without swearing?

Rich