Idiot cyclist

Old March 16th 10, 08:35 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
webreader

Default Idiot cyclist

A good example of why cyclists do not help themselves.
About 16:45 today I was driving down the Reigate Road towards Ewell.
About five cars in front of me was a cyclist (man) with helmet & high
vis jacket. (not cycling in the gutter)
Cars were passing him giving him about five feet clearance.
At one point he wobbled & nearly collided with a passing car (the car
had to take avoiding action)
He rewarded this cars missing him by shouting & giving the two
fingered salute.
The rest of the cars (including me) passed him with even more
clearence.
Just by the railway bridge the cars were queuing (the road narrowed)
He passed me on the left & almost hit my car, but continued cycling
into an ever decreasing space.
The space ran out when he tried to pass the car in front, he hit the
wing mirror, hit the kerb & almost fell off.
He then decided to mount the pavement & pass the traffic that way (the
pedestrians didn't seem to think that was a good idea)
By this time the car he hit had caught up & had pulled up to check for
damage.
Mr clever cyclist stopped at that point, he was scared that the driver
might like to speak to him.
As it happened the driver must have decided that there was no damage
so left.
Mr cyclist then decided that he didn't want to go in the same
direction as the car so he dangerously road across the roundabout
using the pedestrian refuge & then continued along the pavement.
I wonder if he was insured, I wonder how many accidents he has caused,
I wonder how he could be identified.
While I was waiting for the traffic to clear another cyclist pulled
alongside mentioned something along the line of 'It's ******* like
that that give us a bad name', I could not agree more with him.
WSR

Old March 17th 10, 12:56 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JMS

On Tue, 16 Mar 2010 12:35:47 -0700 (PDT), webreader
wrote:

[...]

Indeed - and roll on:

Old March 17th 10, 01:28 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
The Medway Handyman[_2_]

webreader wrote:
[...]

I suggest you carry some paper to record all the law breaking cyclists you
see in a month. B&Q sell rolls of lining paper 20m long. You might need
two rolls.

--
Dave - The Tax Paying Motorist

Old March 17th 10, 01:29 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
delboy

On 16 Mar, 19:35, webreader wrote:
[...]

From what I have seen in London and my local town Watford, that is
about normal behaviour! I drove into central London on Sunday
evening, after nightfall, and saw lots of cyclists, the majority of
them not carrying working lights, some off them riding on the footpath
and across pedestrian crossings with pedestrians on them, and some
deliberately jumping red lights. One guy was wearing a flashing red
light on his right (offside) shoulder with no other lights or
reflectors on his bike at all. That was fine, except that you couldn't
see the light at all from behind, only as you overtook him. Dangerous
leemings the lot of them!

Deek C
Old March 17th 10, 09:56 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Happi Monday[_3_]

On 16/03/2010 19:35, webreader wrote:
[...]

IMO this guy represents a small minority. In any case, he brings cycling
a bad name and acted like a total prick. His sort put "proper" cyclists
in danger from lunatics like the Madway Handjob.
Old March 17th 10, 10:11 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
mileburner

"Happi Monday" wrote in message

IMO this guy represents a small minority. In any case, he brings cycling a
bad name and acted like a total prick. His sort put "proper" cyclists in
danger from lunatics like the Madway Handjob.

I saw two today, both of them riding in the gutter, seemingly oblivious to
some of the cars passing within about 6-12 inches. Cyclists really do not do
themselves any favours.

Old March 17th 10, 11:07 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
bugbear

webreader wrote:
A good example of why cyclists do not help themselves.

Did you mean "some cyclists", or are you implying
your observation in universal?

BugBear
Old March 17th 10, 11:59 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Dieter Britz[_3_]

webreader wrote:

[...]

Much of this can't happen here in Denmark, where in most cities we have
cycle paths, except on some quiet roads. We do still interact with cars
at intersections and, yes, there we do have bad cyclist behaviour, while
car drivers are amazingly patient with us.

When I cycled in Australia, it was mainly cars that were the problem, with
a large number of quite rabid drivers who seemed to hate cyclists. I was
threatened a couple of times by trucks trying to squeeze me into the
curb (one time at pretty high speed) and there is a bit of abuse from
drivers. Cycleways are the answer. We had a cycleway movement in
Newcastle (upon Hunter that is), and all we got were some white lines
marking a narrow strip at the curb for bikes, which cars of course
largely ignore.
--
Dieter Britz (dieterbritzatyahoo.com)
Old March 17th 10, 01:00 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Derek C

On 17 Mar, 10:59, Dieter Britz wrote:
webreader wrote:
[...]

Dieter Britz (dieterbritzatyahoo.com)- Hide quoted text -

Unfortunately most local councils and road authorities only pay lip
service to Government targets on encouraging cycling. A bit of green
paint, white lines and a few bike symbols painted on the less narrow
bits of highway and the problem is (supposedly) sorted! I wonder how
many highway engineers have ever actually ridden a bike?

By the way, can anyone please explain what the random bike symbols
that have recently been painted onto several ordinary roads with no
cycle lanes in the Ealing area are supposed to mean or achieve?

Derek C
Old March 17th 10, 06:28 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
webreader

On Mar 17, 10:07*am, bugbear
wrote:
webreader wrote:
A good example of why cyclists do not help themselves.

Did you mean "some cyclists", or are you implying
your observation in universal?

* *BugBear

I would never generalize so I would agree that I should have said
that some cyclist do not help themselves.
But as you well know the antics of a few get many the blame.
Killer motorists, car weapon, are a couple of phrases used (ok only by
one 'person')
But you would have to agree that the same is true of motorists,
truckers etc.
Don't blame all for the faults of a few.

WSR