Bike Lights Recommendation

Old November 9th 17, 06:10 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
RJH[_2_]

Default Bike Lights Recommendation

I seem to end up asking about this every couple of years - best bike
lights for urban use? Some level of illumination of the potholes ahead,
lightweight and easy on batteries, easy to attach/remove, up to say £50?

--
Cheers, Rob
Old November 9th 17, 06:13 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Kerr-Mudd,John[_2_]

RJH wrote in news
I seem to end up asking about this every couple of years - best bike
lights for urban use? Some level of illumination of the potholes ahead,
lightweight and easy on batteries, easy to attach/remove, up to say £50?

Lidl/Aldi lights are adequate to good. Who needs "best"?
Old November 9th 17, 06:22 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Rob Morley

On Thu, 9 Nov 2017 17:13:14 -0000 (UTC)
"Kerr-Mudd,John" wrote:

RJH wrote in news
I seem to end up asking about this every couple of years - best
bike lights for urban use? Some level of illumination of the
potholes ahead, lightweight and easy on batteries, easy to
attach/remove, up to say £50?

Lidl/Aldi lights are adequate to good. Who needs "best"?

Someone who prefers not to be cut up by other road users who don't
notice their twinkle against a background of bright car lights?

Old November 9th 17, 06:35 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Jester

On Thursday, November 9, 2017 at 5:10:49 PM UTC, RJH wrote:
I seem to end up asking about this every couple of years - best bike
lights for urban use?

SON deluxe hub dynamo
BM IQ cyo front
AXA Optica rack mounted rear.
Cateye flashing LED on seatpost

Well worth the money.

Old November 9th 17, 07:19 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Rob Morley

On Thu, 9 Nov 2017 09:35:52 -0800 (PST)
Simon Jester wrote:

On Thursday, November 9, 2017 at 5:10:49 PM UTC, RJH wrote:
I seem to end up asking about this every couple of years - best
bike lights for urban use?

SON deluxe hub dynamo
BM IQ cyo front
AXA Optica rack mounted rear.
Cateye flashing LED on seatpost

Well worth the money.

OP wrote "up to say £50?"

Old November 9th 17, 07:26 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mr Pounder Esquire

Rob Morley wrote:
On Thu, 9 Nov 2017 17:13:14 -0000 (UTC)
"Kerr-Mudd,John" wrote:

RJH wrote in news
I seem to end up asking about this every couple of years - best
bike lights for urban use? Some level of illumination of the
potholes ahead, lightweight and easy on batteries, easy to
attach/remove, up to say £50?

Lidl/Aldi lights are adequate to good. Who needs "best"?

Someone who prefers not to be cut up by other road users who don't
notice their twinkle against a background of bright car lights?

Mudd is not very bright, give the poor man a break you cruel man.

Here he is:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ag1EbxYKh_4

Old November 9th 17, 09:55 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Jester

Simon Jester wrote:

On Thursday, November 9, 2017 at 5:10:49 PM UTC, RJH wrote:
I seem to end up asking about this every couple of years - best
bike lights for urban use?

SON deluxe hub dynamo
BM IQ cyo front
AXA Optica rack mounted rear.
Cateye flashing LED on seatpost

Well worth the money.

OP wrote "up to say £50?"

Does not change the fact that hub dynamos and lamps firmly bolted to the vehicle are best for urban cycling.

Old November 9th 17, 10:48 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Kerr-Mudd,John[_2_]

Rob Morley wrote in news:20171109172206.124286d2
@Mars:

On Thu, 9 Nov 2017 17:13:14 -0000 (UTC)
"Kerr-Mudd,John" wrote:

RJH wrote in news
I seem to end up asking about this every couple of years - best
bike lights for urban use? Some level of illumination of the
potholes ahead, lightweight and easy on batteries, easy to
attach/remove, up to say £50?

Lidl/Aldi lights are adequate to good. Who needs "best"?

Someone who prefers not to be cut up by other road users who don't
notice their twinkle against a background of bright car lights?

Well my £16 Aldi (I think) set has plenty; I'm not talking about xmas
decs here. For serious lighting you can get megabeam LED headsets from
China for £15
e.g.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5000-Lm-CR...-Bicycle-Bike-
Rechargeable-light-Head-Light-Headlamp/232140598143
Old November 10th 17, 12:13 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
MrCheerful

On 09/11/2017 21:48, Kerr-Mudd,John wrote:
Rob Morley wrote in news:20171109172206.124286d2
@Mars:

On Thu, 9 Nov 2017 17:13:14 -0000 (UTC)
"Kerr-Mudd,John" wrote:

RJH wrote in news
I seem to end up asking about this every couple of years - best
bike lights for urban use? Some level of illumination of the
potholes ahead, lightweight and easy on batteries, easy to
attach/remove, up to say £50?

Lidl/Aldi lights are adequate to good. Who needs "best"?

Someone who prefers not to be cut up by other road users who don't
notice their twinkle against a background of bright car lights?

Well my £16 Aldi (I think) set has plenty; I'm not talking about xmas
decs here. For serious lighting you can get megabeam LED headsets from
China for £15
e.g.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5000-Lm-CR...-Bicycle-Bike-
Rechargeable-light-Head-Light-Headlamp/232140598143

that would not be a legal light to use on its own.
Old November 10th 17, 08:15 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
RJH[_2_]

Simon Jester wrote:

On Thursday, November 9, 2017 at 5:10:49 PM UTC, RJH wrote:
I seem to end up asking about this every couple of years - best
bike lights for urban use?

SON deluxe hub dynamo
BM IQ cyo front
AXA Optica rack mounted rear.
Cateye flashing LED on seatpost

Well worth the money.

OP wrote "up to say £50?"

Indeed - I'm not about to splash out that amount - but interesting to
know about all the same. They seem to have sorted the 'at standstill'
issue to some extent.

Does not change the fact that hub dynamos and lamps firmly bolted to the vehicle are best for urban cycling.

Despite the extra effort? :-) -

https://www.cyclingabout.com/dynamo-...g-lab-testing/

Although they don't factor in the extra weight of the hub.

--
Cheers, Rob

Bike bag recommendation? Pete UK 0 March 23rd 09 10:04 PM
Recommendation for New Bike BeeRich Techniques 20 June 7th 07 09:51 AM
Bike recommendation [email protected] Australia 2 June 3rd 06 11:09 AM
Winter lights recommendation? John Smith UK 8 November 4th 05 11:32 AM
Bike recommendation Helen Deborah Vecht UK 45 July 8th 04 08:59 AM