Prevent chain dump?

Old August 14th 08, 04:47 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Winston

Default Prevent chain dump?

Hi all,

I replaced my three speed front chainwheel with a single - speed.
(I never used the two smaller chainwheels and this solved a nasty
chainline issue, mostly.)
Then I removed the front derailleur (SP!)

My modification works great most of the time but I did have one
tiny issue.

When pedaling uphill, I lost the chain off the front chainwheel once.
It dumped outboard, towards the right pedal.

Other than re-installing the front derailleur (SP!), is there a
chain guiding dohickey that I can install to prevent the chain
dump from happening again?

Thanks!

--Winston
Old August 14th 08, 06:35 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Dre[_3_]

"Winston" wrote in message
Hi all,

I replaced my three speed front chainwheel with a single - speed.
(I never used the two smaller chainwheels and this solved a nasty
chainline issue, mostly.)
Then I removed the front derailleur (SP!)

My modification works great most of the time but I did have one
tiny issue.

When pedaling uphill, I lost the chain off the front chainwheel once.
It dumped outboard, towards the right pedal.

Other than re-installing the front derailleur (SP!), is there a
chain guiding dohickey that I can install to prevent the chain
dump from happening again?

Thanks!

--Winston

Yep, a chain guide for downhill bikes. They have a single ring up front, no
front derailluer and a chain tensioner/guide.

I have one on my DH bike and the hardtail I'm building up atm. I run a 9
speed 11-32 cassette and have plenty of range for what I do...

MRP, Blackspire, E-13 are a few brands that can get you started...

Cheers Dre

Old August 14th 08, 07:26 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Winston

Dre wrote:

(...)
Yep, a chain guide for downhill bikes. They have a single ring up front, no
front derailluer and a chain tensioner/guide.

I have one on my DH bike and the hardtail I'm building up atm. I run a 9
speed 11-32 cassette and have plenty of range for what I do...

MRP, Blackspire, E-13 are a few brands that can get you started...

Cheers Dre

Thank you Dre!

--Winston
Old August 14th 08, 01:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Banned

On Aug 13, 9:47*pm, Winston wrote:
Hi all,

I replaced my three speed front chainwheel with a single - speed.
(I never used the two smaller chainwheels and this solved a nasty
* chainline issue, mostly.)
Then I removed the front derailleur (SP!)

My modification works great most of the time but I did have one
tiny issue.

When pedaling uphill, I lost the chain off the front chainwheel once.
It dumped outboard, towards the right pedal.

Other than re-installing the front derailleur (SP!), is there a
chain guiding dohickey that I can install to prevent the chain
dump from happening again?

Thanks!

--Winston

Chainguards are available. Essentially 2 chainrings w/o teeth on
either side of your single ring Or a single guard outboard and a
chainwatcher inboard.
Old August 14th 08, 07:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Rex Kerr

Winston wrote:
I replaced my three speed front chainwheel with a single - speed.

Did you reuse the existing chainwheel on the new crank, or was it all
new? Singlespeed chainwheels have different tooth profiles than
multispeed ones and are less likely to allow the chain to fall off.

--
Work and recreation are not often effected at the same time.
One using a bicycle in business makes an exception to the rule.
Old August 14th 08, 07:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Winston

Rex Kerr wrote:
Winston wrote:

I replaced my three speed front chainwheel with a single - speed.

Did you reuse the existing chainwheel on the new crank, or was it all
new? Singlespeed chainwheels have different tooth profiles than
multispeed ones and are less likely to allow the chain to fall off.

I replaced the BB, cranks and chainwheel. Reused the pedals,
chain and everything else.
As you say, I trusted that the non-shifting tooth profile of
the single speed chainwheel would make 'chain fall off' less
likely. Since my changes the bike is much more reliable.
Still looking for a straighter chainline, though.

I have since installed a bashguard but I'm now looking to purchase a
Mr. Dirt Gizmo DH that Dre mentioned.

Thanks!

--Winston
Old August 14th 08, 07:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Winston

Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:

On Aug 13, 9:47 pm, Winston wrote:

(...)

Chainguards are available. Essentially 2 chainrings w/o teeth on
either side of your single ring Or a single guard outboard and a
chainwatcher inboard.

Thanks! I'm now looking for a source to purchase a Mr. Dirt
Gizmo Chainguide.

--Winston
Old August 14th 08, 09:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Michael Press

In article XUNok.823$_H1.21@trnddc05,
Winston wrote:

Hi all,

I replaced my three speed front chainwheel with a single - speed.
(I never used the two smaller chainwheels and this solved a nasty
chainline issue, mostly.)
Then I removed the front derailleur (SP!)

My modification works great most of the time but I did have one
tiny issue.

When pedaling uphill, I lost the chain off the front chainwheel once.
It dumped outboard, towards the right pedal.

Other than re-installing the front derailleur (SP!), is there a
chain guiding dohickey that I can install to prevent the chain
dump from happening again?

Lightest (!!!) solution is the old derailleur,
sans cable, sans shifter. Set the stops to lock
its positions and Bob's your uncle.

--
Michael Press
Old August 14th 08, 10:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Winston

Winston wrote:

Hi all,

I replaced my three speed front chainwheel with a single - speed.

(...)

Lightest (!!!) solution is the old derailleur,
sans cable, sans shifter. Set the stops to lock
its positions and Bob's your uncle.

Thanks Michael, I shall try that first.

--Winston
Old August 15th 08, 09:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
TRIPLE R

*Winston wrote:

Hi all,

I replaced my three speed front chainwheel with a single - speed.

(...)

Lightest (!!!) solution is the old derailleur,
sans cable, sans shifter. Set the stops to lock
its positions and Bob's your uncle.

Thanks Michael, I shall try that first.

--Winston

Hi there,I always use the derailleur as a chain guide on both of my
mtbs,my hybrid and my roadie,as Michael says just do the adjustment
screws,for my road bike I have cut off any unwanted bits i.e the arm
that the cable bolts to and the bottom of the cage as you only need
between the top and middle of the cage with my roadie BUT I did this
mostly for better looks,once adjusted I also lowered the deraileur so
that the top of the deraileur cage has about 3mm gap between chain and
the cage this will garentee that the chain wont jam and bend the cage
as aposed to the original high which is above the chain ring,I dont
have any issues with chain ring guards/guides I just cant justify
spending over $100(NZ dollars)for even the basic ones when I can do it
for nothing,I do spend a bit of time to make sure my chain line is
where I want it though.

WOW, I found a unicycle at the dump pdc Unicycling 0 June 9th 06 05:25 PM
Should I dump the hybrid? Ken C. M. General 27 April 22nd 06 08:39 PM
I went to the dump.. David Martin UK 11 September 4th 05 09:17 PM
Question - what causes blowouts and how do I prevent them? WeatherGuy General 12 April 12th 05 11:54 PM
The spread of germs and how to prevent [email protected] General 1 February 2nd 05 05:32 PM