OT - Mini advertisement but it could have been a cyclist

Old January 19th 04, 11:29 PM
David K

Default OT - Mini advertisement but it could have been a cyclist

Might I be wrong here .........?

I have just seen the new (to me anyway) Mini advertisement where an elderly
nudist couple in their Mini 'whack' a pedestrian over they head with a fish
as they drive past.

They appear to be most satisfied with the result and no one gets injured ...
but this is only an ad and not real life. Right?

I have been 'whacked' by a hand / newspaper from a passing car while out
cycling. It is not a pleasant experience and potentially life threatening.
Luckily I escaped with only a sore a*se but it annoyed me greatly.

Personally I think the advertisement sets a very poor example. I can just
visualise 17-18 year olds thinking this would be great sport no matter what
car they drive. They are unlikely to appreciate the damage a 25mph
(conservative I know) passing object could inflict on a person.

I might be over reacting here but for what it is worth I shall be contacting
Ofcom to give them my tuppence on the matter.

--
David K

remove NO SPAM from
e-mail address to reply

Old January 19th 04, 11:41 PM
Selwonk

"David K" wrote in message
[...]

And so you should, if some retard tries it in real life someone could very
easily be killed. I got bottled by someone in a passing car and only just
stayed upright thanks mainly to the helmet! (ha ha bareheads)

Old January 19th 04, 11:46 PM
Simonb

David K wrote:

I have been 'whacked' by a hand [...] Luckily I escaped with only a sore

a*se

Perhaps she just found you irrestisible. Cyclists have amazing tushes, after
all.

Old January 20th 04, 12:29 AM
Thomas

"David K" wrote in message
[...]

Sadly, I'm one of those liberal types and don't see a problem with the
advert - but then, in my hippy ideal world, kids would know that it's wrong
to whack people for wrongness' sake, no other.

Tom.

Old January 20th 04, 10:25 AM
David K

Simonb wrote:
David K wrote:

I have been 'whacked' by a hand [...] Luckily I escaped with only a
sore a*se

Perhaps she just found you irrestisible.

I live in hope that was the case - assuming it was a 'she'!

Cyclists have amazing
tushes, after all.

Before anyone else says it - maybe it was just too big a target to resist.

--
David K

remove spam trap
from address to reply

Old January 20th 04, 12:29 PM
robbiew

Sadly, I'm one of those liberal types and don't see a problem with th
advert - but then, in my hippy ideal world, kids would know that it'
wrong to whack people for wrongness' sake, no other

Tom

Sadly your hippy world is not where wee neds live. Remember the Tang
advert was withdrawn after kids started turning up at A&E with damage
ear drums from being hit on both sides of the head at teh same time b
"pranksters"? Watch out for fish yeilding, burberry clad, hot hatc
driving neds this summer, especially if the price of Scottish far
salmon continues to plummet

-

Old January 20th 04, 01:04 PM
Just zis Guy, you know?

"robbiew" wrote in message

Remember the Tango
advert was withdrawn after kids started turning up at A&E with damaged
ear drums from being hit on both sides of the head at teh same time by
"pranksters"?

One kid, anyway.

--
Guy
===

http://chapmancentral.demon.co.uk

Old January 20th 04, 02:08 PM
Nick Kew

In article ,
"David K" writes:

I have just seen the new (to me anyway) Mini advertisement where an elderly
nudist couple in their Mini 'whack' a pedestrian over they head with a fish
as they drive past.

Not amusing when you happen to know someone who was permanently
invalided in his thirties when thwapped on the head (by a wing mirror)
from a moving vehicle - while walking on the pavement.

I might be over reacting here but for what it is worth I shall be contacting
Ofcom to give them my tuppence on the matter.

Wouldn't that be the ASA?

--
Nick Kew

ApacheCon 2003: presentation on November 18th ( http://apache.webthing.com/ )
Other business likely to be slow until the next week.
Old January 20th 04, 02:53 PM
davebee

robbiew wrote:
Sadly, I'm one of those liberal types and don't see a problem with the
advert - but then, in my hippy ideal world, kids would know that it's
wrong to whack people for wrongness' sake, no other.
Tom.
Sadly your hippy world is not where wee neds live. Remember the Tango
advert was withdrawn after kids started turning up at A&E with damaged
ear drums from being hit on both sides of the head at teh same time by
"pranksters"? Watch out for fish yeilding, burberry clad, hot hatch
driving neds this summer, especially if the price of Scottish farm
salmon continues to plummet.

I agree with all of the above that it could set a bad example and woul
definitely be very dangerous

-

Old January 20th 04, 02:56 PM
elyob

"David K" wrote in message
Might I be wrong here .........?

I have just seen the new (to me anyway) Mini advertisement where an

elderly
nudist couple in their Mini 'whack' a pedestrian over they head with a

fish
as they drive past.

Just watched it on the mini.co.uk site

They appear to be most satisfied with the result and no one gets injured

but this is only an ad and not real life. Right?

I have been 'whacked' by a hand / newspaper from a passing car while out
cycling. It is not a pleasant experience and potentially life threatening.
Luckily I escaped with only a sore a*se but it annoyed me greatly.

Personally I think the advertisement sets a very poor example. I can just
visualise 17-18 year olds thinking this would be great sport no matter

what
car they drive. They are unlikely to appreciate the damage a 25mph
(conservative I know) passing object could inflict on a person.

I might be over reacting here but for what it is worth I shall be

contacting
Ofcom to give them my tuppence on the matter.

Write to your MP and the local supermarket warning them of the dangers of
selling fish.

Cyclist scraps around the world plans Mike Kruger General 5 June 21st 04 09:23 PM
not a cyclist loki General 38 May 22nd 04 02:06 PM
Cyclist Jailed For Tire Slashings B. Lafferty Racing 8 April 19th 04 01:14 PM
What Makes You A Cyclist? TheCyclist2002 General 87 March 21st 04 06:42 AM
Cyclist killed in King's Lynn - hit & run dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers UK 20 December 17th 03 05:36 PM