Looking For My First Recumbent

Old March 9th 06, 01:42 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent

Default Looking For My First Recumbent

Looked this one up and found that its' price is high. I know that
somewhere in $1500 range is a bent I can purchase. But, thanks for the
idea. It is one heck of neat looking bent. One that thing that I did
not mention is the fact that are many gravel roads to ride that I would
like to explore. Leaving in a rural farming area does have some
advantages.

bill

Old March 9th 06, 09:02 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent

peddleman wrote:
Looked this one up and found that its' price is high. I know that
somewhere in $1500 range is a bent I can purchase. But, thanks for the
idea. It is one heck of neat looking bent. One that thing that I did
not mention is the fact that are many gravel roads to ride that I would
like to explore. Leaving in a rural farming area does have some
advantages.

bill

Peddleman, I had absolutely no idea recumbents were so damned expensive
-- I had a budget of $1500 at first, too, but in short order, after
perusing through different reviews by different people of different
models by different manufacturers, it became clear that if I'm in this
for the comfort, then I simply must pony up the premium; no sense in
being half-assed if it's supposed to be more than just a novelty (which
it would have been, until, unsolicited, the sports doc told me to get
one!).

So I'm eyeing a customization of an already customized SMGTe from
Hostel Shoppe at $3,600.00. It was such a comfortable bike! Love at
first ride, I like to say. And though over twice as much as my initial
ceiling, I have no regrets. So I don't think money should be the
guiding factor; you can always save up!

Old March 10th 06, 05:54 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent

peddleman wrote:
Looked this one up and found that its' price is high. I know that
somewhere in $1500 range is a bent I can purchase. But, thanks for the
idea. It is one heck of neat looking bent. One that thing that I did
not mention is the fact that are many gravel roads to ride that I would
like to explore. Leaving in a rural farming area does have some
advantages.

First thing to note is that if $1,500 is a "hard" budget number, don't
consider bikes over about $1,200. Add a few items like a seat back bag,
cyclometer, water bottles/cages or hydration bladder, clipless pedals,
fenders, etc. and the $1,200 bike becomes a $1,500 bike.

Others may disagree, but I find a SWB bike better for loose surfaces
and low speed climbing. The RANS Rocket would work well for your
purposes, but I would suggest switching the stock crank for something
with smaller chainrings.

One option to consider would be getting a second set of wheels. One set
would have slick road tires and the other would have semi-knobby tires
for gravel road and dirt paths.

--
Tom Sherman - Behind the Cheddar Curtain

Old March 10th 06, 02:39 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent

peddleman wrote:
Boy, do I have a lot to learn about recumbents. I have been riding a
standard road bike now for a couple years and participated in a couple
of MS 150's. I like to put the miles on with good weather. I average
between 2 to 3 thousand miles each year. My price range stops at $1500
for a bike that will get me there with some speed and the capability of
climbing the hills we have here in SW Missouri. Believe me we have the
hills. Flat areas are a premium at times. One thing I have noted in
the discussion is the weight of the recumbent. So, far from what I
have concluded is the E Z Sport and the Rans Stratus are some of the
more popular picks. I am open to suggestions. The nearest qualified
dealer are 87 miles away. I also know in standard road bikes you do
get what you pay for.

Thanks,
bill - peddleman

If you're also considering SWB bents, have a look at the Burley Django.
It's in your price range. I've had one for about 4 years, and I've
enjoyed riding it a great deal.

---
John Knez