How to make my bike faster!

Old April 28th 06, 10:04 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default How to make my bike faster!

People, what is the single factor in making my road bike faster? I have
a 2001 Specialized allez with an aluminium frame, Ive considered
getting carbon forks, stem, seatpost etc to ake it lighter in the hope
it goes faster and up hills easier. I dont want to fork out thousands
of pounds for a new bike because I love the bike ive got. Do you think
new wheels and tyres would do the trick?

Old April 28th 06, 10:10 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Big Al wrote:
People, what is the single factor in making my road bike faster? I
have a 2001 Specialized allez with an aluminium frame, Ive considered
getting carbon forks, stem, seatpost etc to ake it lighter in the
hope it goes faster and up hills easier. I dont want to fork out
thousands of pounds for a new bike because I love the bike ive got.
Do you think new wheels and tyres would do the trick?

Paint it red.

(OK, OK...)

You can spend a LOT of money shaving /maybe/ two pounds from the bike, or
you can increase your strength and fitness and also lose some weight. Of
the two strategies, the latter will increase your speed much more than the
former.

Bill "easier to just paint it" S.

Old April 28th 06, 10:31 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Well I would class myself as in xcellent physical shape, ive been
cycling for 2 years now but really getting into it this year but when I
seem to go flat out down the hill at 45 mph my bike starts wobbling and
I didnt think it should be doing this...

Old April 28th 06, 11:26 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Big Al a écrit :
Well I would class myself as in xcellent physical shape, ive been
cycling for 2 years now but really getting into it this year but when I
seem to go flat out down the hill at 45 mph my bike starts wobbling and
I didnt think it should be doing this...

It's against the rules to combine two trolls in a single posting, Big
Al. But I offer a combined answer - downhill, straight line, don't
worry about the road, the thrills will come faster.
--
Bonne route !

Sandy
Old April 28th 06, 12:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Big Al wrote:
Well I would class myself as in xcellent physical shape, ive been
cycling for 2 years now but really getting into it this year but when I
seem to go flat out down the hill at 45 mph my bike starts wobbling and
I didnt think it should be doing this...

You are correct... but the problem is that the bike is already too
light! Drop a couple pounds of lead weights down the seat tube... that
should make it a lot more stable.

Old April 28th 06, 12:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On 28 Apr 2006 02:04:06 -0700, "Big Al" wrote:

People, what is the single factor in making my road bike faster? I have
a 2001 Specialized allez with an aluminium frame, Ive considered
getting carbon forks, stem, seatpost etc to ake it lighter in the hope
it goes faster and up hills easier. I dont want to fork out thousands
of pounds for a new bike because I love the bike ive got. Do you think
new wheels and tyres would do the trick?

It's likely that the single most effective factor that would make the
bike go faster is your spending one extra hour per week (or more) in
the saddle. That said, fitting a set of aero bars to bring your arms
to the centerline of your frontal profile would probably make a
perceptible difference in your on-flat and downhill rates.
--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.
Old April 28th 06, 01:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Big Al wrote:
People, what is the single factor in making my road bike faster? I
have a 2001 Specialized allez with an aluminium frame, Ive considered
getting carbon forks, stem, seatpost etc to ake it lighter in the
hope it goes faster and up hills easier. I dont want to fork out
thousands of pounds for a new bike because I love the bike ive got.
Do you think new wheels and tyres would do the trick?

It's "ride up grades", not "upgrades." ;^)

HTH.

Mike

Old April 28th 06, 01:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Big Al wrote:
People, what is the single factor in making my road bike faster? I have
a 2001 Specialized allez with an aluminium frame, Ive considered
getting carbon forks, stem, seatpost etc to ake it lighter in the hope
it goes faster and up hills easier. I dont want to fork out thousands
of pounds for a new bike because I love the bike ive got. Do you think
new wheels and tyres would do the trick?

Think about it...putting LOTS of money into this bike will save maybe 2
or so pounds? Lots when weighing a bike, not very much when weighing
the bike and rider...

Only 4 things to make you ride faster

-Fit-does the bike fit you?
-Fitness-are you as fit as possible
-Fat-lackthereof on you
-Finesse-riding and racing(if you do) smart...training well

WAY to much emphasis on bike equipment. Best equipment is the stuff
that get you there, reliability.

Sorry-no piece of equipment will automatically translate to being
'faster' anywhere.

Old April 28th 06, 02:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Big Al wrote:
People, what is the single factor in making my road bike faster?

"Ride lots'" - Eddy Merckx

(Warning: "Ride lots" is not sold in stores.)

Old April 28th 06, 02:38 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

But I always see those signs in the country, "Lots for Sale" ...
: