Dream commuter

Old February 27th 04, 01:30 AM
flyingdutch

Default Dream commuter

il Pompino single spee

700c wheel

Drop bars preferabl

Ergo hoods/brakelevers hubgear-shifter on right 'top

Rohloff 14spd hubgear (my commute is just too hilly for true singlespee
under weight to be doing 10 times a week

rear chain tensioner (due to running disks

disc mini's front and back (Vee at back if necessary

continental gator 28c tyres (hey, i have had the year from hell
puncture-wise!

Brooks Pro leather saddle (should only take a year to 'break' in

rear rack pannier setu

guards for winter (to avoid the badger's ar5e look!

Any improvements, people??

-

Old February 27th 04, 02:17 AM
HUMBUG

On Fri, 27 Feb 2004 01:30:00 GMT, flyingdutch Wrote :

Any improvements, people???

Sooner or later you're going to need lights. Talk to your LBS
about http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/Schmidt-Lumotec.asp

How are you going to manage the shifter for the Rohloff ? AFAIK
you can't get the shifter onto road bars or have Rohloff
started making a shifter for drop bars ?

Perhaps you could ditch the frame and wheels and get a Moulton
frame and a good 20" wheel set. Ditch the disc brake idea and go for
hydraulic rim brakes, Magura should be good...:-)

--

Humbug
Old February 27th 04, 02:46 AM
hippy

"flyingdutch" wrote in message
.. .
il Pompino single speed

good

700c wheels

good

Drop bars preferably

good

Ergo hoods/brakelevers hubgear-shifter on right 'top'

kay

Rohloff 14spd hubgear (my commute is just too hilly for true

singlespeed
under weight to be doing 10 times a week)

arrrgh! Evil, evil man! Remove those gears!
Where are these hills in Melbourne man?
You should be able to grind up most stuff! :-)
Explain yourself! ;-)

rear chain tensioner (due to running disks)

Run disc on front and rim brakes rear?

disc mini's front and back (Vee at back if necessary)

Oh, you covered that option already :-)

Brooks Pro leather saddle (should only take a year to 'break' in)

I have a Brooks saddle for sale...

rear rack pannier setup

Tried panniers, I'm back using a backpack now. Depends
on load I guess, but I have carried a LOT in my backpack.

guards for winter (to avoid the badger's ar5e look!)

Every winter I tell myself I will fit mudguards and every winter
I manage to totally avoid doing it. The worse I look, the more
"hardcore" people will think I am (or stupid) :-)

Any improvements, people???

Custom paint, cycle computer (look at when bored, etc)
SPD pedals/shoes - nice to walk in, good for commuting,
custom-built lighting system with retina-frying power levels,
lock (if you need it), deep dish rims (coz they look cool)..

My commuter is my GT Talera MTB SS (32:15) with
SPD/flat combo pedals, canti front, vee rear brakes, no
options - just frame, steering bits, wheels, brakes, seating,
driveline. Simple as I could get it without going brakeless
fixed-gear :-) Oh, I lied: bidon cage and lights too.

I've always pictured commuting on an On-One Inbred but
the il Pompino is giving the roadie and SS'er in me dual lust.

hippy

Old February 27th 04, 03:10 AM
gescom

Here's some pics of the bike your talking about flyingdutch. Try http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...&page=11&pp=25, a bike courier in Finland uses one with cowhorn handlebars, very nice!

I'm no bike mechanic but is it possible to use a Rohloff hub on th
single speed frame? Its just that most ss frames (il Pompino) don't hav
the braze-ons on the downtube or chainstay to run cabling to the rear

Also the chainstay seems to be very short and not really suited t
carrying panniers. Depending on the pannier size your heel may hit th
pannier bag as you cycle. This picture http://www.on
one.co.uk/graphics/main_f/audaxbike.jpg on "on-one's" websit
illustrates what I mean (the pannier rack is very close to the frame
but you could always use a rack top bag like the one pictured

Another gripe ( ) would be the steep road bike head angle of 7
degrees. A more relaxed angle would be better as you would have a longe
wheelbase that would give a more stable ride (especially if the bike i
loaded with panniers)

Maybe an alternative would be the Trek 7400 http://www.trekbikes.com.au
/catalogue.cgi?rm=product&product_id=26&subcategory _id=3. It uses
shimano hub, has rack and fender braze-ons and a chromoly fork. It
listed at $1099au, slightly more than an Il Pompino frame. You coul
upgrade it to a Rohloff hub and drop handlebars too

Australian Cyclist magazine reviews the Trek 7400 her
http://www.australiancyclist.com.au/...e.php?s=4&a=21

-

Old February 27th 04, 03:10 AM
gescom

[...]

listed at $1099au, about the cost of an Il Pompino frame. You coul

Old February 27th 04, 03:10 AM
gescom

Sorry for the double posting

-

Old February 27th 04, 05:30 AM
flyingdutch

sORRY hIPPY. MIXED ALOT OF MY REPLY TO YOU IN YOUR QUOTE WINDOW!!

Where do you commute to/from

Im North Balwyn (near the tram terminus, Doncaster Rd) to cit

-

Old February 27th 04, 05:30 AM
flyingdutch

wrote:
il Pompino single speed

good YES, THE INBRED HAD ME TEMPTED. SEEN A DUDE IN FITZROY ON ONE WIT A
ROHLOFF. LUST......
26" wheels being supposedly stronger, not to mentioN parts are
just cheaper!
Drop bars preferably

good
Or perhaps those 'stoker' style ones alot of couriers use...
Ergo hoods/brakelevers hubgear-shifter on right 'top'

kay
arrrgh! Evil, evil man! Remove those gears! Where are these hills in
Melbourne man? You should be able to grind up most stuff! :-) Explain
yourself! ;-)
Yes, I can grind up anything (hey, the alpine classic in 9:18 aint too
bad, is it?) but i dont wanna grind. It just wears you down after the
third or fourth day and theres a cool little bit of singletrack going up
next to the stairs near the chandler Hwy bridge up to the kew boulevard
Brooks Pro leather saddle (should only take a year to 'break' in)

I have a Brooks saddle for sale...
YEAH? TELL ME MORE...
rear rack pannier setup

Tried panniers, I'm back using a backpack now. Depends on load I guess,
but I have carried a LOT in my backpack.
Tried the backpack and occasionally i do use one but occasionally I do
carry too much (altho the weight weenie in me watches how heavy
everything is..). Too much neck/shoulder trouble from years of graphic
design/slouching
guards for winter (to avoid the badger's ar5e look!)

Every winter I tell myself I will fit mudguards and every winter I
manage to totally avoid doing it. The worse I look, the more "hardcore"
people will think I am (or stupid) :-)
Yeah, the hardcore frat seems to be getting stronger (as does SS!) but
day after day just wears you down. plus it means you dont spray the dude
suckin your wheel (not that they would dare, of course!)
Custom paint, AYE - HADNT THOUGHT OF THAT...
cycle computer DONE (even occasionally put on the HRM to check if i do
ride too fast. fat-burning and all..)
etc) SPD pedals/shoes - nice to walk in, good for commuting, DONE. dual
sided (platform and spds) but gee those eggbeaters look nice!
custom-built lighting system with retina-frying power levels, DONE! lock
(if you need it) DONE , deep dish rims (coz they look cool).. HMMMMM,
JUST TOO HARSH A RIDE
My commuter is my GT Talera MTB SS (32:15) with SPD/flat combo pedals,
canti front, vee rear brakes, no options - just frame, steering bits,
wheels, brakes, seating, driveline. Simple as I could get it without
going brakeless fixed-gear :-) Oh, I lied: bidon cage and lights too.
I've always pictured commuting on an On-One Inbred but the il Pompino is
giving the roadie and SS'er in me dual lust.
hippy

OOOH, OOOH. JUST SPOTTED THE KONA 'UNIT

good setup, nice sizing, good room for panniers, interesting post-fram
disc adaptors at back, cool subdued grey colour, light $1500Oz th
!!!!!!!!!! (saw one at SHM in city today lunchtime

"I'm no bike mechanic but is it possible to use a Rohloff hub on th
single speed frame? Its just that most ss frames (il Pompino) don't hav
the braze-ons on the downtube or chainstay to run cabling to the rear.
Yes, and Yes! just use a bit o'tape or those strip-clip doobie

As for panniers, there is a full audax rig at their site which seem
fine and uses bilkier bags than min

I did look at the 7400 but the shimano hub, even the newer 8spd hugea
weighs a tonne and I really want drops which would make the 7400 jus
too long/weir

-

Old February 27th 04, 05:44 AM
hippy

"flyingdutch" wrote in message
sORRY hIPPY. MIXED ALOT OF MY REPLY TO YOU IN YOUR QUOTE WINDOW!!!

I'll work it out :-) I use a newsreader most of the time so
don't have that problem (instead I have Outlook's
dodgy carriage return issues!)

Where do you commute to/from?

Croydon - Hawthorn

Im North Balwyn (near the tram terminus, Doncaster Rd) to city

I know where you mean, but I don't really know
the roads.

hippy

Old February 27th 04, 05:50 AM
flyingdutch

Humbug wrote:
On Fri, 27 Feb 2004 01:30:00 GMT, flyingdutch usenet-
Wrote :

Any improvements, people???

Sooner or later you're going to need lights. Talk to your LBS about
http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/Schmidt-
http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/Schmidt- Lumotec.asp
How are you going to manage the shifter for the Rohloff ? AFAIK you
can't get the shifter onto road bars or have Rohloff started making a
shifter for drop bars ?
Perhaps you could ditch the frame and wheels and get a Moulton frame and
a good 20" wheel set. Ditch the disc brake idea and go for hydraulic rim
brakes, Magura should be good...:-)
--
Humbug

Lights covered (geesh, i ride every day of the year humbugger

Moulton? God 20" wheel set. OK, people. We are entering truly strang
places now. Would love to have one but not to commute on everyday..

The whole reason i want discs is to stop wearing out rims with rimbrake
and rimbrakes just need too much constant adjustmen

Yes, the shifter on roadbars may present an issue, perhaps I should jus
go SS. Make me 'hardcore' or just give me Shane Kelly legs..

-