How Can I Tell Frame Size?

Old December 30th 03, 12:23 PM
Elisa Francesca Roselli

Default How Can I Tell Frame Size?

I keep having the impression that my new bike is too big for me. The
vendor insists that for my 1.72 meters, the recommended frame size is 56
inches. A competing vendor suggests that a heavy person like myself may
be happier on one size down, a 53 inch frame, since that would make it
easier to keep a foot on the ground (I cannot start and stop or ride
standing).

However, I see no marking or designation on my bike whatsoever that
gives its frame size. It could be made for a 7 footer for all I know. Is
there any parameter I can measure to get an idea?

Many thanks,

Elisa Francesca Roselli
Ile de France

Old December 30th 03, 01:31 PM
Arthur Harris

"Elisa Francesca Roselli" wrote:
I keep having the impression that my new bike is too big for me. The
vendor insists that for my 1.72 meters, the recommended frame size is 56
inches. A competing vendor suggests that a heavy person like myself may
be happier on one size down, a 53 inch frame, since that would make it
easier to keep a foot on the ground (I cannot start and stop or ride
standing).

I think you mean 56 and 53 cm. Frame size is specified by seat tube length.
Different manufacturers use different methods of making this measurement. It
is always measured FROM the center of the bottom bracket. It is measured
along the seat tube TO either the top of the seat tube, the top of the top
tube, or the center of the top tube. If the frame has a sloping top tube, it
may be measured to an imaginary point where the top tube would intersect the
seat tube IF it were level. As you can see, it's not easy to compare sizes
between different bikes and especially different manufacturers.

In addition, there's more to "frame size" than just the seat tube length.
Top tube length is probably more important as it will determine how
stretched out you are on the bike.

Height is not a very accurate way to choose a frame size. For determining
seat tube length, your leg length or "inseam" is the critical parameter. Top
tube length should be chosen based on torso and arm length (as well as
personal preferences and type of riding).

If the saddle seems too high on the 56 cm frame, maybe you can lower it a
little. Then when you become comfortable starting and stopping, you could
raise it up. Having the saddle too low doesn't allow you to extend your leg
properly. That can limit your power and can cause knee pain.

http://www.sbraweb.org/setup.htm

Art Harris

Old December 30th 03, 03:05 PM
Elisa Francesca Roselli

Thanks, I'll have a measure along the seat tube when I get home tonight. There
is no measurable top-tube as this is one of those low step-through jobs. I
cannot lower the seat much because I'm already having discomfort on the pedals;
what I have had to do is to move it quite far back, so that my legs have more
length to extend forwards, but this makes the distance across the top a little
too gaping. Raising the handlebars, in turn, makes an already very squirrelly
bike even more unstable.

EFR

Old December 30th 03, 04:30 PM
Gary Smiley

If you are having trouble starting or stopping or putting a foot down, then
your bike IS too big for you. You should not have to be uncomfortable in any
way. Not only will it interfere with your enjoyment of bicycling, but it may
not be safe as well. I would recommend bring it back to your vendor and
trying out a smaller size.

Old December 30th 03, 09:49 PM
Tanya Quinn

Elisa Francesca Roselli wrote in message ...
Thanks, I'll have a measure along the seat tube when I get home tonight. There
is no measurable top-tube as this is one of those low step-through jobs. I
cannot lower the seat much because I'm already having discomfort on the pedals;
what I have had to do is to move it quite far back, so that my legs have more
length to extend forwards, but this makes the distance across the top a little
too gaping. Raising the handlebars, in turn, makes an already very squirrelly
bike even more unstable.

EFR

Hi Elisa,
A 56 cm frame works for me, but I'm about 6 cm taller than you are.
Really it is the inseam that matters not your height. Most bikes are
made for a typical male, so most women (who tend to have longer legs
and shorter arms for their height) will find the reach long when they
have the height about right. When I bought my bike, the shop changed
the stem that came with the bike for a shorter stem. This will move
the handlebars closer without affecting their height or stability.

Tanya
Old December 31st 03, 12:14 AM
Dave Salovesh

In ,
Elisa Francesca Roselli
opined:

Thanks, I'll have a measure along the seat tube when I get home tonight. There
is no measurable top-tube as this is one of those low step-through jobs. I
cannot lower the seat much because I'm already having discomfort on the pedals;
what I have had to do is to move it quite far back, so that my legs have more
length to extend forwards, but this makes the distance across the top a little
too gaping. Raising the handlebars, in turn, makes an already very squirrelly
bike even more unstable.

It sounds like you're trying to get an unconventional riding position
from a fairly conventional bicycle. The results will be only moderately
satisfactory at best - I suspect they'll be worse than that.

If I could have made a recommendation before you got this bike, I would
have suggested the Giant "Revive".

It's a one-size frame for riders from 152cm to 192 cm, so it is clearly
very adjustable. It's a semi-recumbent, designed so you -can- put your
feet comfortably on the ground while seated.

--
| depending, of course, | REPLACE example WITH
Dave Salovesh | on your perspective | mindspring TO EMAIL ME
(After more than a decade on USENET , it's finally come to this ^^^)
Old December 31st 03, 01:10 AM
Rick Onanian

On Tue, 30 Dec 2003 15:05:57 +0100, Elisa Francesca Roselli
wrote:
Thanks, I'll have a measure along the seat tube when I get home tonight. There
is no measurable top-tube as this is one of those low step-through jobs. I

Measure an imaginary top tube. I've seen instructions for doing
this; just measure from near the top of the seat tube to the head
tube.

EFR

--
Rick Onanian
Old December 31st 03, 11:00 AM
Elisa Francesca Roselli

Dave Salovesh wrote:

If I could have made a recommendation before you got this bike, I would
have suggested the Giant "Revive".

It's a one-size frame for riders from 152cm to 192 cm, so it is clearly
very adjustable. It's a semi-recumbent, designed so you -can- put your
feet comfortably on the ground while seated.

I knew about the Revive when I was researching my new bike purchase. I ruled it out
because the sloping front stem cannot take a basket, which I find essential, and also
because there was no-where in town where I could look at one or try the famous new
revolutionary seating posture. My emails to Giant in France to find a reseller of the
model met with no answer. The one poster to this group who _did_ manage to try one
(you perhaps?) remarked that it was rather squirelly. I was also afraid that, if I
ordered one untried and sight-unseen and then didn't like it, it would be hard to
resell because of its unconventioal design, high price and an extremely conventional,
obsessively VTT oriented market. However, I'm still very curious to try one out. It
is my constant complaint that almost all of the catalogue models that interest me -
Giant Revive, Energy and Halfway, Dahon Speed TR and Helios, Sparta and Union models
- are simply unavailable for trial anywhere near where I live.

EFR
Ile de France

Old January 2nd 04, 02:23 AM
Tom Sherman

Elisa Francesca Roselli wrote:

I knew about the Revive when I was researching my new bike purchase. I ruled it out
because the sloping front stem cannot take a basket, which I find essential, and also
because there was no-where in town where I could look at one or try the famous new
revolutionary seating posture....

There are semi-recumbent bikes from the 1920's, so I would not classify
the Giant Revive as revolutionary. It is also not unique in the market,
as there are other alternatives, such as the RANS Fusion (likely to be
unavailable in Europe at a reasonable price, however).
http://www.ransbikes.com/2004Bikes/Fusion.htm

Tom Sherman – Close to 41½ N, 90½ W