A Cycling & bikes forum. CycleBanter.com

Go Back   Home » CycleBanter.com forum » Regional Cycling » UK
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Why I'm Not On Facebook

Old March 19th 18, 07:34 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Bret Cahill
external usenet poster

Default Why I'm Not On Facebook

Not that I think Cambridge Analytica had or could have much to do with any election in a functional enlightened democracy, but there was always something sleazy about Facebook.

https://www.theguardian.com/technolo...cked-democracy

The history of Facebook needs to be examined more closely, even if it's just speculation.

Zuckerberg himself ain't the most politically astute and in fact has no interest in politics so someone else, probably a conservative Harvard prof, set up Facebook for Zuckerberg, at least the key details -- much like those who included back doors on smart devices. The goal may have been surveillance or more likely, trying to bleed off or delay the democratizing effect of social media.

This theory could be completely wrong. Just the false notions grandfathered in over decades alone might explain Facebook.

Bret Cahill

Ads
Old March 20th 18, 09:15 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Peter Keller[_3_]
external usenet poster

On 20/03/18 08:34, Bret Cahill wrote:
Not that I think Cambridge Analytica had or could have much to do with any election in a functional enlightened democracy, but there was always something sleazy about Facebook.

The history of Facebook needs to be examined more closely, even if it's just speculation.

Zuckerberg himself ain't the most politically astute and in fact has no interest in politics so someone else, probably a conservative Harvard prof, set up Facebook for Zuckerberg, at least the key details -- much like those who included back doors on smart devices. The goal may have been surveillance or more likely, trying to bleed off or delay the democratizing effect of social media.

This theory could be completely wrong. Just the false notions grandfathered in over decades alone might explain Facebook.

Bret Cahill

I was on Facebook some years ago. It seemed a convenient way of
connecting with friends, swapping news and photos, etc.
but I got very apprehensive as they seemed to be changing privacy
settings etc in random unpredictable ways. So I killed myself, at least
as far as facebook is concerned.
It is damn' insidious.
Old March 20th 18, 02:10 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
[email protected]
external usenet poster

On Tuesday, March 20, 2018 at 9:15:23 AM UTC, Peter Keller wrote:
On 20/03/18 08:34, Bret Cahill wrote:

Bret Cahill

I was on Facebook some years ago. It seemed a convenient way of
connecting with friends, swapping news and photos, etc.
but I got very apprehensive as they seemed to be changing privacy
settings etc in random unpredictable ways. So I killed myself, at least
as far as facebook is concerned.
It is damn' insidious.

Very true - I have had to cut ties with my ex-workmates, apart from a local pub user group which is neutral ground.