Mavic Open 4 CD Rims

Old February 27th 04, 11:54 PM
Wort

Default Mavic Open 4 CD Rims

My local bike store has a pair of new old stock Mavic Open 4 CD Rims
that I'm thinking of getting and having built onto a pair of Campag
Centaur hubs.

The rims seem a bit historic and not currently sold.

Have you any experience with these rims? I bet there are people who
have used them for a few years now and have been able to develop
some opinion.

Regards
Wayne Henderson
Old February 28th 04, 12:24 AM
Nick Payne

I have a pair (32h front, 36h rear) built up as racing wheels in 1989 that I
am still using. No problem so far. They are hard anodized, which can make
rims more prone to cracking, but there is no evidence of that yet. I guess
at 65kg I don't stress components too much.

Nick

Old February 28th 04, 07:03 AM
Zog The Undeniable

Nick Payne wrote:
I have a pair (32h front, 36h rear) built up as racing wheels in 1989 that I
am still using. No problem so far. They are hard anodized, which can make
rims more prone to cracking, but there is no evidence of that yet. I guess
at 65kg I don't stress components too much.

Same configuration here, about 10 years old, I'm heavier. No problems.
They are rather light and not very stiff rims which need a
correspondingly light touch when building/truing.

Old February 28th 04, 08:32 AM
WTF,O

"Wort" wrote in message
My local bike store has a pair of new old stock Mavic Open 4 CD Rims
that I'm thinking of getting and having built onto a pair of Campag
Centaur hubs.

The rims seem a bit historic and not currently sold.

Have you any experience with these rims? I bet there are people who
have used them for a few years now and have been able to develop
some opinion.

Regards
Wayne Henderson

Still got a set on one of my bikes. They're doing fine though I've
largely worn through the CD coating on the braking surfaces. That took a
long time to happen. I'd buy another set if they were a good deal.

Cal

Old February 28th 04, 07:44 PM
ZeeExSixAre

I guess
at 65kg I don't stress components too much.

It depends largely on the tension on the spokes, not just your body weight.

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

Old February 28th 04, 08:36 PM
Bill

"Wort" wrote in message
My local bike store has a pair of new old stock Mavic Open 4 CD Rims
that I'm thinking of getting and having built onto a pair of Campag
Centaur hubs.

The rims seem a bit historic and not currently sold.

Have you any experience with these rims? I bet there are people who
have used them for a few years now and have been able to develop
some opinion.

Regards

I've got a pair that are 10 or 12 years old that I put about 1500 miles on
every winter and spring. Rode them this morning and would be happy to have
another pair when they eventually wear out.
Bill
Wayne Henderson

Old February 29th 04, 12:05 AM
Mike S.

"Wort" wrote in message
My local bike store has a pair of new old stock Mavic Open 4 CD Rims
that I'm thinking of getting and having built onto a pair of Campag
Centaur hubs.

The rims seem a bit historic and not currently sold.

Have you any experience with these rims? I bet there are people who
have used them for a few years now and have been able to develop
some opinion.

Regards
Wayne Henderson

I've never owned a pair of O4CDs, but I certainly sold a few...

IIRC, the biggest differences between the O4CD and the Reflex/Open Pro rims
are no machined sidewall, and no welded seam.

No matter WHAT people say about Mavic rims, you should get lots of good
mileage out of these. Keep checking for cracks every once in a while (like
you should with everything else) and ride the heck out of them!

Mike
That help?

Old February 29th 04, 12:20 PM
John Carrier

Heroic rims. Despite the conventional wisdom that hard anodizing leads to
cracks, my Open 4's went many 1000 miles trouble free. Wish the color
anodized "new and improved" Reflexes were as durable.

R/ John

Old March 1st 04, 12:48 AM
Wort

On Sat, 28 Feb 2004 16:05:29 -0800, "Mike S." mikeshaw2@coxDOTnet
wrote:

"Wort" wrote in message
.. .
My local bike store has a pair of new old stock Mavic Open 4 CD Rims

SNIP!

Regards
Wayne Henderson

I've never owned a pair of O4CDs, but I certainly sold a few...

IIRC, the biggest differences between the O4CD and the Reflex/Open Pro rims
are no machined sidewall, and no welded seam.

No matter WHAT people say about Mavic rims, you should get lots of good
mileage out of these. Keep checking for cracks every once in a while (like
you should with everything else) and ride the heck out of them!

Mike
That help?

Thanks to Mike and the rest for their replies.

Seems the Mavic Open 4 CD has a good reputation and history. I'll
pick them up.

Regards
Wayne