Do people really buy these?

Old March 4th 04, 01:35 AM
Jay Beattie

Default Do people really buy these?

"Tom Sherman" wrote in message
Werehatrack wrote:

On Wed, 3 Mar 2004 13:47:41 -0800, "Jay Beattie"
may have said:

It also doubles as high-end speaker wire -- just make sure

you
wipe off the grease so you don't stain the carpet.

But it doesn't have gold-plated plugs!

Rohloff sells a gold plated version of their S-L-T 99 chain.
http://www.rohloffusa.com/frame.htm.

Yes, these are particularly fine with tube gear. Superb imaging.
Plenty of mid-range resolution, but not etched. -- Jay Beattie.

Old March 4th 04, 04:02 AM
Bald Headed John Kane

On Wed, 03 Mar 2004 02:12:29 -0500, ZeeExSixAre wrote:

What is so great about a chain that somebody would spend $400 on one?

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/....cfm?SKU=18300

Would this be for uber-racers-only who can afford it? I seriously can't
fathom it. The next most expensive chain is about $70. What gives?

I would rather have a titanium Kryptonite chain.
Old March 4th 04, 11:31 AM
Rik O'Shea

I thought the pricing for this was just a typo. The pros just use
standard chains. I recall an interview with Steve Bauer's mechanic
before Paris-Roubaix. When he was asked how he would clean the chain
after the race, he said he wouldn't clean it, just replace it - and
they used normal chains and tended to replace them on a regular basis

Old March 4th 04, 12:37 PM
Marcin Dobrucki

Carl Fogel wrote:

Somehow I suspect that the weight-saving hollow pins and
the clever holes in the side plates of these expensive chains
fill up with oil, wax, and grime. It would be interesting to
have someone weigh one at the end of a ride.

Just to add my 2cents... if you want to save weight, cut down on the
munchies... it is a far cheaper and more effective method.

/Marcin

Old March 4th 04, 12:57 PM
Robert Strickland

HobieDude16 wrote:
i would never pay that much for a chain! i got my ksyriums for that
much! sheesh, not worth it!

Neither were your ksyriums as far as I'm concerned.

Old March 4th 04, 02:22 PM
B.C. Cletta

"ZeeExSixAre" wrote in message .. .
What is so great about a chain that somebody would spend $400 on one?

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/....cfm?SKU=18300

Would this be for uber-racers-only who can afford it? I seriously can't
fathom it. The next most expensive chain is about $70. What gives?

yer gonna be ****ed you didn't buy a couple of dozen when they
start selling on eBay in about 20 years. think Neo-Classic
Rendezvous.
Old March 5th 04, 03:55 AM
onefred

Of course, you'd need a postal scale, since chains weigh
only about 235 to 310 grams. Wearing a watch or sunglasses
might well wipe out all that high-tech advantage.

Carl Fogel

Hmm, I wonder how much the hair on my head weighs? A hair cut most
certainly costs less than this chain.

Dave

Old March 5th 04, 04:22 AM
Werehatrack

On Thu, 04 Mar 2004 01:08:20 GMT, Noel Llopis
may have said:

Werehatrack wrote:

On Wed, 03 Mar 2004 14:54:09 -0500, Alex Rodriguez
may have said:

I've seen many prefectly good helmets int eh $25-$50 range, so $50-$100
seems expensive to me. Especially when you consider that the expensive
helmets do not provide any more protection than the cheap ones.

According to some reports, the cheaper helmets actually do better in
the impact tests. It seems they aren't engineered to be as light as
possible and still just barely meet the standard.

That might be true, but one thing that ~$60-$100 range helmets used to have
a few years ago was a lot more ventilation. I haven't had to look into new
helmets in 5-6 years, so that might have changed now, but it was a big
issue for someone like me who needs as much cooling as possible.

Still true. Apparently, more ventilation often is achieved at the
expense of impact protection. In my case, the Houston summer heat
isn't as debilitating as it might be for someone from a cooler
climate. (I grew up where the summers were longer and the humidity
higher.)

Old March 8th 04, 05:50 PM
g.daniels

ask Bike.com