Time ATAC Pedals

Old March 3rd 04, 03:30 PM
Eric St. Mary

Default Time ATAC Pedals

I bought my wife a set of Time ATAC Aluminum pedals last fall. Th
bearings have almost frozen up now and they have only been used on th
road for about 500 miles. I have a four year old set of Time ATA
Carbons, with the plastic platform that say I am the best rider in th
world or some BS, and have been using them on and off road for withou
any problems. I was under the impression that the only differenc
between these were the cages

Now for my questions

1. Are the Time ATAC Aluminum Pedals rebuildable? I've taken the cove
off and the bearings are sealed. So, I'm guessing I need a tin
bearing puller and the correct bearings

2. Where can I get the bearings and tiny matching puller

3. Are there any intricacies that I should be aware of

Thanks, Eric W. St. Mar

-

Old March 3rd 04, 05:04 PM
A.Lee

On Wed, 03 Mar 2004 15:30:17 +0000, Eric St. Mary wrote:

1. Are the Time ATAC Aluminum Pedals rebuildable? I've taken the cover
off and the bearings are sealed. So, I'm guessing I need a tiny
bearing puller and the correct bearings.

AIUI,the outer are std. sealed bearings, so should be available at any
decent industrial bearings supplier.I've never had mine apart, but I would
have thought you wouldnt need a special tool to get the bearing out, this
site sells '2 bits of wood' for bearing removal for $5:
http://www.notubes.com/pedalkit.htm
And this one sell various parts:
http://www.speedgoat.com/prod/store/...urer.asp?cid=4

Add up the cost for the bits - it may well be cheaper to get new pedals,
here in the UK, you can pick them up occasionally for £35 ($60-70).
Alan.

--
To reply by e-mail, change the 'minus' to 'plus'.
http://www.dvatc.co.uk - Off-road cycling in the North Midlands.
Old March 3rd 04, 09:48 PM
R15757

Don't panic. Simply drip some lube around there and it might take care of it
for a good long time.

Robert
Old March 3rd 04, 11:20 PM
Nick Payne

The cheap ATAC pedals have a sleeve inner bearing. That is probably the
cause of the problem. I've had mine apart a couple of times to
relubricate the sleeve when they start creaking. Once you have the
plastic cover off, loosen the nut on the end of the axle and tap the
axle out of the pedal with a punch.

Nick

Eric St. Mary wrote:
I bought my wife a set of Time ATAC Aluminum pedals last fall. The
bearings have almost frozen up now and they have only been used on the
road for about 500 miles. I have a four year old set of Time ATAC
Carbons, with the plastic platform that say I am the best rider in the
world or some BS, and have been using them on and off road for without
any problems. I was under the impression that the only difference

Old March 4th 04, 08:02 PM
Dion Dock

The expensive ATAC pedals also have a bearing built into the body. The
design seems very good at keeping the crud out, but I think the thing is
shot once it gets in.

-Dion