What happens if you hang a weight from the bottom of a wheel?

Old September 14th 06, 05:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default What happens if you hang a weight from the bottom of a wheel?

On Thu, 14 Sep 2006 12:57:36 GMT, "Dave" wrote:

wrote in message
.. .
While I was enjoying the current incarnation of the stand-or-hang
thread, I found myself wondering what the spokes and the rim will do
if you stick a wheel up in the air and hang a weight from the rim
section that would normally be the contact patch.

Cheers,

Carl Fogel

Nothing as long as you hold onto the wheel. Let go and both the wheel and
the weight fall to the ground.

Care to rephrase the question?

Dear Dave,

Care to tell us what happens to the spoke tension and the rim shape?

Cheers,

Carl Fogel
Old September 14th 06, 11:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Dave

wrote in message
On Thu, 14 Sep 2006 12:57:36 GMT, "Dave" wrote:

Dear Dave,

Care to tell us what happens to the spoke tension and the rim shape?

Cheers,

Carl Fogel

Nothing if you hold the wheel at the contact patch.

Ready to rephrase the original question yet?

Old September 15th 06, 12:28 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Thu, 14 Sep 2006 22:52:41 GMT, "Dave" wrote:

wrote in message
.. .
On Thu, 14 Sep 2006 12:57:36 GMT, "Dave" wrote:

Dear Dave,

Care to tell us what happens to the spoke tension and the rim shape?

Cheers,

Carl Fogel

Nothing if you hold the wheel at the contact patch.

Ready to rephrase the original question yet?

Dear Dave,

No.

Others, like Jobst and Joe Riel, are smart enough to figure it out.

I mistakenly thought that you'd simply missed the original posts.

Cheers,

Carl Fogel
Old September 15th 06, 01:36 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Dave

wrote in message
On Thu, 14 Sep 2006 22:52:41 GMT, "Dave" wrote:

Dear Dave,

No.

Others, like Jobst and Joe Riel, are smart enough to figure it out.

I mistakenly thought that you'd simply missed the original posts.

Cheers,

Carl Fogel

Oh I very much got it as did Jobst and Joe, if one were to assume the wheel
was supported by the bike. But since the question didn't include that little
detail, and you hadn't rang the bell and declared a winner(s), I assumed the
game was ongoing. :-)

Dave

Old September 15th 06, 03:52 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joe Riel

"Dave" writes:

Oh I very much got it as did Jobst and Joe, if one were to assume the wheel
was supported by the bike. But since the question didn't include that little
detail, and you hadn't rang the bell and declared a winner(s), I assumed the
game was ongoing. :-)

Yes, ongoing. As in never ending. Or at least frequently recurring.

I was curious what response Carl's question, concerning applying a
weight to the rim so that it pulls on the bottom spoke, would elicit
from the "hangs from the top" crowd. One cannot use the "spokes
cannot support compression" argument here. Do they acknowledge that
the bottom spokes provide the principal load path in this scenario?
How, then, to explain the [apparent] nonlinearity when the force is
reversed? With the weight attached to the rim, suppose we push upward
on the rim. Does the load path suddenly switch when the wheel returns
to the no-load position? How would that happen? So long as none of
the tensions in the spokes go to zero, this is a continuously
deformable structure.

--
Joe Riel
Old September 17th 06, 05:11 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
none of your business

about the same as if you hung the bike from the same patch of wheel.

- -
Comments and opinions compliments of,
"Your Friendly Neighborhood Wheelman"

My web Site:
http://geocities.com/czcorner

To E-mail me:
ChrisZCorner "at" webtv "dot" net

Old September 17th 06, 06:42 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Sun, 17 Sep 2006 00:11:27 -0400,
(none of your business) wrote:

about the same as if you hung the bike from the same patch of wheel.

- -
Comments and opinions compliments of,
"Your Friendly Neighborhood Wheelman"

My web Site:
http://geocities.com/czcorner

To E-mail me:
ChrisZCorner "at" webtv "dot" net

Dear Chris,

By far the best of non-answers--thanks.

Cheers,

Carl Fogel

New bicycle idea Bob Marley General 49 October 7th 04 05:20 AM
Which Tire Loses Traction First? [email protected] Techniques 489 September 22nd 04 08:52 PM
Spoke Over-Tension and Drifting Wheel Alignment mCrux Techniques 6 August 25th 04 04:29 PM