Highway Code debacle - CTC

Old May 8th 07, 05:25 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
David Damerell

Default Highway Code debacle - CTC

The latest CTC newsnet, which I have not seen quoted here, says;

---
A revised draft of the Highway Code has not properly addressed the
concerns of 11,000 cyclists who last year joined our campaign to have
the Code re-worded. The original draft told cyclists to 'use cycle
facilities...where provided'. Following our campaigning efforts, the
revised wording, issued on 28th March, reads: 'Use cycle routes and
cycle facilities...wherever possible, as they can make your journey
safer.' The new wording does not address our original concern that
insurance companies will use the wording of the new Code as an excuse to
reduce the amount of compensation they pay if a motorist hits a cyclist
that has chosen to use a road rather than a nearby cycle facility. We
very much hope that the Government will see sense and amend the wording
to say "use cycle facilities where they help with your journey" - thus
leaving the decision at the cyclist's discretion. If it does not, we
will seek to persuade the Lords to vote it out, or may ultimately
initiate a Judicial Review against it.

We would like to hear about incidents where a cyclist has been injured
while using a cycle facility, or has suffered verbal or physical abuse,
or hassle from the police, as a result of using the road rather than a
nearby cycle facility. Please email
---

It is not clear to me why it has taken quite so long to obtain these
jewels of wisdom...
--
OPTIONS=name:Kirsty,menustyle:C,female,lit_corrido r,standout,time,showexp,hilit
e_pet,catname:Akane,dogname:Ryoga,fruitkonomiyak i,pickup_types:"!$?=/,scores:
Old May 8th 07, 06:41 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tony Raven[_2_]

David Damerell wrote on 08/05/2007 17:25 +0100:

We would like to hear about incidents where a cyclist has been injured
while using a cycle facility, or has suffered verbal or physical abuse,
or hassle from the police, as a result of using the road rather than a
nearby cycle facility. Please email

Perhaps we should send Adam the address of uk.tosspots &
uk.wreck.driving ;-)

--
Tony

"The most savage controversies are those about matters as to which there
is no good evidence either way."
- Bertrand Russell
Old May 8th 07, 10:55 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Dewi

On 8 May, 17:25, David Damerell
wrote:
[...]

Do cyclist have to read the HC (Highway code), are they tested on it?

Old May 8th 07, 11:36 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
John Clayton

"Dewi" wrote in message
ups.com...
On 8 May, 17:25, David Damerell
wrote:

Do cyclist have to read the HC (Highway code), are they tested on it?

Dewi,

This is a serious business. For cyclists it's our life. for some blokes I
used to know it's their death.

Your silly little note above (quoted in total, in full) is a cheap shot.

Do all sensible people a favour and clear off to somewhere more
appropriate - like, tweenies or tellietubbies?

Just **** off.

John

Old May 9th 07, 08:13 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Brooke

in message . com, Dewi
') wrote:

Do cyclist have to read the HC (Highway code),

No, but you're an idiot if you don't.

are they tested on it?

No.

"The result is a language that... not even its mother could
love. Like the camel, Common Lisp is a horse designed by
committee. Camels do have their uses."
;; Scott Fahlman, 7 March 1995

Old May 10th 07, 10:02 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Dewi

On 8 May, 23:36, "John Clayton"
wrote:
"Dewi" wrote in message

ups.com...
On 8 May, 17:25, David Damerell
wrote:

Do cyclist have to read the HC (Highway code), are they tested on it?

Dewi,

This is a serious business. For cyclists it's our life. for some blokes I
used to know it's their death.

Your silly little note above (quoted in total, in full) is a cheap shot.

Do all sensible people a favour and clear off to somewhere more
appropriate - like, tweenies or tellietubbies?

Just **** off.

John

Of course it is a serious business, and it a straight forward
question. Maybe if they all did and were tested, maybe, just maybe
there would be less incidents on the roads and Pavements.

Single issues groups are a pain in the peddles...

Did you run out of things to say, so you swore?

Old May 10th 07, 10:03 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Dewi

On 9 May, 08:13, Simon Brooke wrote:
in message . com, Dewi

') wrote:
Do cyclist have to read the HC (Highway code),

No, but you're an idiot if you don't.

are they tested on it?

No.

My point exactly...

Old May 10th 07, 04:25 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Ekul Namsob

John Clayton wrote:

"Dewi" wrote in message
ups.com...
On 8 May, 17:25, David Damerell
wrote:

Do cyclist have to read the HC (Highway code), are they tested on it?

Dewi,

This is a serious business. For cyclists it's our life. for some blokes I
used to know it's their death.

Your silly little note above (quoted in total, in full) is a cheap shot.

Do all sensible people a favour and clear off to somewhere more
appropriate - like, tweenies or tellietubbies?

Just **** off.

Bad day at the office John?

Luke

--
Lincoln City 0-2 Southend United (AET)
Swansea City 2-2 Southend United
Old May 10th 07, 07:03 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
John Clayton

Just **** off.

John

Of course it is a serious business, and it a straight forward
question. Maybe if they all did and were tested, maybe, just maybe
there would be less incidents on the roads and Pavements.

Single issues groups are a pain in the peddles...

Did you run out of things to say, so you swore?

Dewi,
Quite honestly, I didn't run out of things to say, I simply ran out of
patience dealing with someone asking a question they jolly well knew the
answer to.

John

Old May 11th 07, 05:13 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Alistair Gunn

Simon Brooke twisted the electrons to say:
Do cyclist have to read the HC (Highway code),

No, but you're an idiot if you don't.

Of course motorists, in general, only have to provide proof that they've
read the HC *once*!

More Highway Code and the CTC Bob Downie UK 3 May 3rd 07 11:00 AM
Highway Code Revision Peter Amey UK 6 April 14th 06 08:51 AM
Bit OT - New Highway Code Russ UK 5 February 5th 05 12:41 AM
Highway Code Changes Just zis Guy, you know? UK 14 May 5th 04 10:44 AM