Double Tubing: The Third & Final Update

Old April 19th 12, 11:13 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Bret Cahill[_3_]

Default Double Tubing: The Third & Final Update

I've had three punctures in the past 5 years all 3 of them from staple
like wire that created an instant flat, once even with slime. The
wire remained in the tire until I extracted it in all 3 cases. All 3
of the flats were in the past 8 months and -- this is the clincher --
all 3 were on the same 200 yd section of highway.

Apparently a sloppy contractor in the area drives off with staples
raining off his truck.

The first flat was what precipitated double tubing and double tiring
in the first place.

Today I got the 3rd but I'm a little lackadaisical about keeping both
tubes inflated. The good tube had squeezed the air out of the tube
with a slow leak. When the good tube punctured the tire went flat. I
pulled out the staple as usual and went to the NAPA store across the
street where they had a small compressor. I picked a valve stem at
random hoping it was the tube with the slow leak, watching the gage
for a few seconds to see if the pressure would drop.

I got it on the first try

Anyway, this above is the way double tubing should be used.

Just pump up just one tube and carry a pump. When you top off once
every 2 weeks or, in my case, every 2 months, alternate between
tubes. Deflate the tube that you were riding on and inflate the other
tube. This eliminates the hassle of getting the same volume in both
tubes and provides a check so you can always be sure when you take off
in the morning that you have two good tubes.

Bret Cahill

Old April 20th 12, 07:12 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_4_]

On Apr 19, 11:13*pm, Bret Cahill wrote:
I've had three punctures in the past 5 years all 3 of them from staple
like wire that created an instant flat, once even with slime. *The
wire remained in the tire until I extracted it in all 3 cases. *All 3
of the flats were in the past 8 months and -- this is the clincher

Nice pun, Bret :-)

--
all 3 were on the same 200 yd section of highway.

Apparently a sloppy contractor in the area drives off with staples
raining off his truck.

I would have put that in my GPS with a bleep prompt to remind me when
I was approaching it.
I have done this before with glass.

[...]

I just fitted Schwalbe Durano Plus after my last puncture and have not
had one since - a great set of tyres.

--
Simon Mason
Old April 20th 12, 10:55 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
roger merriman

Simon Mason wrote:

[...]

I have the marathon pluses 25mm quick enought to get to 35mph on the
flat, and good enought for some mild offroading.

The MTB has Downhill tyres which make marathon plus look weady and light
weight....

Roger
--
www.rogermerriman.com
Old April 20th 12, 08:51 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Bret Cahill[_3_]

I've had three punctures in the past 5 years all 3 of them from staple
like wire that created an instant flat, once even with slime. *The
wire remained in the tire until I extracted it in all 3 cases. *All 3
of the flats were in the past 8 months and -- this is the clincher

Nice pun, Bret :-)

--

all 3 were on the same 200 yd section of highway.

Apparently a sloppy contractor in the area drives off with staples
raining off his truck.

I would have put that in my GPS with a bleep prompt to remind me when
I was approaching it.
I have done this before with glass.

Other solutions:

1. follow the staples to the culprit and tell him to drag a bar
magnet behind his truck.

2. detour 3 miles out of the way.

[...]

I told the local bike shop owner yesterday that I couldn't afford to
get a flat for the next 6 months. It's too hot to stop.

Bret Cahill

Old April 20th 12, 08:57 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Bret Cahill[_3_]

I just took the tubes out. The holes were oriented longitudinally,
both in one tube. If the staple had been turned right 90 degrees it
may have punctured the flat tube and, had both tubes been inflated,
would in all likelihood have flattened both.

For most people the best way to use this is to keep one tube deflated
and carry a pump.

In certain situations where carrying a pump and stopping for even a
minute isn't acceptable then spend some time carefully inflating both
tubes.

Bret Cahill

Old April 23rd 12, 04:59 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Bret Cahill[_3_]

The staple went through the other [rim] side of the tube as well.
This tends to validate the original idea of positioning the tubes side
by side -- instead of concentrically -- to prevent both tubes from
being punctured.

Bret Cahill

[...]

in the morning that you have two good tubes.- Hide quoted text -

Old April 23rd 12, 06:52 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Doug[_10_]

On Apr 23, 4:59*am, Bret Cahill wrote:
[...]

What do you do about two valves as there is only a hole for one?

Doug.

Old April 23rd 12, 08:15 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mrcheerful[_3_]

Doug wrote:
[...]

you take off in the morning that you have two good tubes.- Hide
quoted text -

What do you do about two valves as there is only a hole for one?

Doug.

you drill a second valve hole opposite the original.

Old April 23rd 12, 04:12 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason

"Doug" wrote in message

Just pump up just one tube and carry a pump. When you top off once
every 2 weeks or, in my case, every 2 months, alternate between
tubes. Deflate the tube that you were riding on and inflate the
other
tube. This eliminates the hassle of getting the same volume in both
tubes and provides a check so you can always be sure when you take
off
in the morning that you have two good tubes.- Hide quoted text -

What do you do about two valves as there is only a hole for one?

Bret said previously that he drills another hole 180 degrees to the standard
hole.

--
Simon Mason

Old April 24th 12, 05:51 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Bret Cahill[_3_]

I marked the tube/side that has the slow leak. I'll just pump that up
every two weeks and see how long it takes for the other side to go
down.

Bret Cahill