Nightrider Ti Is there a proper tread direction?

Old September 21st 08, 04:01 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
tomblackwood

Default Nightrider Ti Is there a proper tread direction?

I tried searching, but if this one has been discussed it's well-buried.
Unlike the TA and Coker tires, the Nightrider has a directional element
to its tread pattern. The cross-grooves form big X's across the tire,
but there is also a subtle curvature to the grooves which introduces a
directional element. I'm not sure how else to describe it, and it's not
as marked as you see in the illustrations below, but there is still a
difference and if you look at it one way the cross-grooves in the Xs
appear to "bow up". So, how have people mounted the tire? Did you
mount like Scenario A below, or Scenario B? And either way, did you do
it deliberately, noticing the difference in advance, or did you just
throw the tire on the rim same as you would a coker or TA, and take it
whichever way it ended up?

Scenario A: Front ( ( ( ( Back

or

Scenario B: Front ) ) ) ) Back

--
tomblackwood

Tailgate at your own risk...
Old September 21st 08, 04:11 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
MuniAddict

Most if not all "directional" tires have an arrow that indicates the
direction of rotation. The pic of the nightrider leads me to think that
it is NOT a directional tire; unless it does have that arrow on the
sidewall.

|Filename: TINR36_7120.jpg |

MuniAddict

'UniGeezer.com' (http://unigeezer.com/)
Old September 21st 08, 04:11 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
MuniAddict

Most if not all "directional" tires have an arrow on the sidewall
which indicates the direction of rotation. The pic of the nightrider
leads me to believe that it is NOT a directional tire; unless it does
have that arrow on the sidewall.

28701

Old September 21st 08, 04:23 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
munimag

I was told by UDC that it is directional to allow for channeling of
water. I'm not sure which way is correct.

--
munimag
Old September 21st 08, 05:03 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
unisteve

tomblackwood wrote:
[...]

My Nightrider follows scenario A; that's how it came installed on the
rim. I haven't tried it the other way.

Just to make sure, I looked on both sides of the tire and there is no
arrow or mark to indicate a 'proper' direction.

--
unisteve

\"the real answer is that you want both.\" -joemarshall
Old September 21st 08, 05:56 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Eroick

Josh from UDC told me that you want to have the curves to the back,
since the water should be pushed out the back. Not sure if it actually
makes a difference though, I highly doubt it would until you're going
very, very fast into the perfect puddle... Hydroplaning on a unicycle!

--
Eroick

--Eric Evenchick
Email/MSN:
'Municycle.ca: Canada's Unicycle.com'
(
http://www.municycle.ca)
Old September 21st 08, 06:26 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
feel the light

Yeah, it's definitely A back.

--
feel the light
Old September 22nd 08, 12:09 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
harper

Before discussing this any further, remove the ambiguity by adding
either "as viewed from above" or "as viewed from below."

--
harper

-Greg Harper

"Natural logs are what you ride on a Mun'e'." - kevinalexandersmith
Old September 22nd 08, 12:30 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
MuniAddict

I tried mine in both directions today. No difference detected.

Old September 22nd 08, 03:36 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
tomblackwood

harper wrote:
Before discussing this any further, remove the ambiguity by adding
either "as viewed from above" or "as viewed from below."

As viewed from above, ideally at a height of two to three feet above
the top of the tire.

--
tomblackwood

Tailgate at your own risk...

Need ideas for 36" tire tread unisk8r Unicycling 18 March 20th 08 02:48 PM
Tire tread. Brian O. Unicycling 22 January 13th 08 06:32 AM
tyre tread direction Dundonald UK 6 August 9th 07 09:19 PM
armadillo tire tread detached zara Techniques 11 September 11th 06 02:06 PM
Trailer tire tread Dave Reckoning Techniques 5 May 24th 05 01:23 PM