Commuting Alternative?

Old January 26th 07, 10:50 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Buck

Default Commuting Alternative?

On 2007-01-25 17:47:19 +0000, "stratrider" said:

On Jan 25, 2:33 am, Buck
wrote:
I do not think 30mph average is an unreasonable figure for a fully faired
velomobile ridden by a reasonably fit pilot.

Not too many years ago I jumped into a pace line during a century ride
on my 1999 Stratus. We covered 24 miles in the first hour of this FLAT
ride. We were flying! I was a strong rider with no baggage on a
course with no hills or significant wind plus I had the draft advantage
of the pace line. I cannot imagine how much additional power it would
have taken to add 6 miles to that first hour of riding without adding
real world conditions.

Jim

I can maintain 23.4 mph average for three hours on a Catrike Expedition
unfaired while riding alone and I am 40 years old.

I'm goosed after three hours but I am working on it. On a velomobile
with much less wind resitance I expect 30mph over a similar time would
not be an issue.
--
Three wheels good, two wheels ok

www.catrike.co.uk

I'm calling bull****. I ride a Catrike Road with the small fairing.
Granted I have Big Apples, racks and mudguards but my averages are in
the 22 - 25km range over a 40 km ride. Granted also that this is
somewhat hilly and I'm 46. But I ride 7000km plus per year and I am in
very good shape. I can't imagine anyone pushing over 23mph for over
three hours, that's about 37kph. Unless of course it's all downhill
and/or with a good wind pushing. Hey, there's always BionX units...
that would work to get the avg up there.

Grolsch

I have a customer with a Speed that can cover his 19 mile commute in 30
minutes, I ride about 25000 to 30000 km per year, I go to the gym three
times a week and consider myself moderately fit, perceptions?

Of course if you cannot do it perhaps no one can.

Old January 26th 07, 10:58 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Peter Clinch

Grolch wrote:

I can't
imagine anyone pushing over 23mph for over three hours, that's about 37kph.
Unless of course it's all downhill and/or with a good wind pushing.

Try a bigger imagination... Andy Wilkinson, taking the UK end to end
record, averaged slightly better than 20 mph for /over 40 hours/.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
Old January 26th 07, 11:02 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Buck

On 2007-01-26 10:58:08 +0000, Peter Clinch said:

Grolch wrote:

I can't imagine anyone pushing over 23mph for over three hours, that's
about 37kph.
Unless of course it's all downhill and/or with a good wind pushing.

Try a bigger imagination... Andy Wilkinson, taking the UK end to end
record, averaged slightly better than 20 mph for /over 40 hours/.

Pete.

And not fully faired either. But pretty slick.

Old January 26th 07, 02:52 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Curtis L. Russell

On Fri, 26 Jan 2007 10:58:08 +0000, Peter Clinch
wrote:

Grolch wrote:

I can't
imagine anyone pushing over 23mph for over three hours, that's about 37kph.
Unless of course it's all downhill and/or with a good wind pushing.

Try a bigger imagination... Andy Wilkinson, taking the UK end to end
record, averaged slightly better than 20 mph for /over 40 hours/.

Pete.

Comparing apples to oranges to bananas. First of all, going from 20 to
23 mph is a siginificant increase, and doing 20 mph all day by a
person setting a record is different from an average fit cyclist
riding any significant distance. Both are way different than how most
people ride while doing a daily commute. You may as well say that
racers can train at over 25 mph for several hours. None of it is
relevant to most commuters.

Based on the 12 or so years that I commuted, I can't see a fully
faired recumbent being the answer for a commuter, except for short
city commutes where the person has access to a locked ground level
space. I've rolled diamond frames down a couple of flights of stairs
and wouldn't do that daily at 6:00 am with my unfaired Vision SWB. I
had a 20 mile commute for a while and that meant that in spring and
autumn, the ride would or cdould change dramatically from the start to
the finish (crossing from or into darkness). Same thing: I would
prefer a diamond frame or possibly an open recumbent and a jacket to
pull on than a fully faired recumbent.There were rough roads in some
areas, overcast days when I wanted maximum field of view etc.

Interestingly, if I could do 40 mph in the fully faired recumbent, it
would not have cut my time in half. It doesn't work that way. Maybe it
would take 10-15 minutes off of the commute on a good day, if you
assume that I could roll the sucker into the office building at the
end. And I had a large office in a three story building with a freight
elevator (the building, not my office). Wouldn't work at all where I
work now. So unless you have a roll out point at home, a roll in place
at work, job security enough to know that all that won't change, and a
commute long enough and smooth enough to make it all work to the
maximum, I think I would put my $ 3,000 into something else. Maybe a
Catrike 700...

Curtis L. Russell
Odenton, MD (USA)
Just someone on two wheels...
Old January 26th 07, 04:32 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Grolch

On 2007-01-25 19:29:47 +0000, "Grolch"

On 2007-01-25 17:47:19 +0000, "stratrider" said:

On Jan 25, 2:33 am, Buck
wrote:
[...]

Saaaay, you're not from Texas are you? You expect me to believe that you
ride an average of over 80km a day, every day of the year AND go to the gym
three times a week AND have time to bull**** on cycling groups. Buck, quick
call Dr. Phil this is a story the nation wants to hear. Of course, if we
gave you a laxative we could bury you in a shoe box.

Old January 26th 07, 09:03 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent

On Jan 26, 9:52 am, Curtis L. Russell wrote:
Interestingly, if I could do 40 mph in the fully faired recumbent, it
would not have cut my time in half. It doesn't work that way. Maybe it
would take 10-15 minutes off of the commute on a good day, if you
assume that I could roll the sucker into the office building at the
end. And I had a large office in a three story building with a freight
elevator (the building, not my office). Wouldn't work at all where I
work now. So unless you have a roll out point at home, a roll in place
at work, job security enough to know that all that won't change, and a
commute long enough and smooth enough to make it all work to the
maximum, I think I would put my $ 3,000 into something else. Maybe a
Catrike 700...

Interestingly enough, I've got most of those things down. Roll in/out
@ home is covered. The building I work in would make it easy enough to
get a small car into my office (garage doors & freight/shipping
elevator included). I've got an extra "cube" where I just store extra
drawings, etc. Plenty of room for it. Still, I would just lock it to
the railing just outside my office 10 feet from my desk most days. The
commute is 37.92 miles long. Mostly back roads as well. Seems like my
only concerns would be if it's too hilly, and if it's too hot in there
to deal with the power output I'd need. Unfortunately, those are
pretty heavy concerns.

If only I could rent one for a day or seven...

Old January 26th 07, 10:32 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Peter Clinch

Curtis L. Russell wrote:

Comparing apples to oranges to bananas. First of all, going from 20 to
23 mph is a siginificant increase, and doing 20 mph all day by a
person setting a record is different from an average fit cyclist
riding any significant distance.

Quite true, but the point was that saying a "merely" hard feat is
/beyond imagination/ doesn't give very much scope for credit for
the range of things people can do..

Based on the 12 or so years that I commuted, I can't see a fully
faired recumbent being the answer for a commuter, except for short
city commutes where the person has access to a locked ground level
space.

Why limit it to city? I'd have thought an open road, where one
could maintain the possible speeds without traffic and signals
bringing you down all the time, would be much better suited. Also
more likely to have parking for it.

Pete.
Old January 27th 07, 11:29 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
gotbent

On 2007-01-25 18:18:23 +0000, "stratrider" said:

On Jan 25, 12:58 pm, Buck
wrote:
I can maintain 23.4 mph average for three hours on a Catrike Expedition
unfaired while riding alone and I am 40 years old.

Buck, now I am really feeling bad! That is remarkable! And on a trike
no less? Do you think you could ride flat out for 30 miles (not
kilometers right?) in one hour on your tirke?

Jim

Not much faster to be honest but I could break the hour I imagine, it is
down to
maintaining a steady cadence, once you get past the initial muscle burn it
is ok,
It has taken me a long time to train my cadence to this point and has
really only
kicked in this winter, although really long hills mess it up a bit, after
three hours
riding my knees are physicaly very hot for about an hour, I have discussed
this
with the doctor but she says it is fine.
--
Three wheels good, two wheels ok

www.catrike.co.uk

This link will take you to the photos and results of a 100 mile measured
challenge in rural Illinois. The only streamliner configured for HPRA
Superstreet (without the canopy) did the course in a bit over 3h36min. Two
tailfaired lowracers (Jester and RazzFazz) did it in under four hours.
Three of the riders are probably in the top ten US recumbent racer
community. It's not the kind of thing mere mortal riders can do.

Old January 28th 07, 02:21 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
gotbent

On 2007-01-25 18:18:23 +0000, "stratrider" said:

On Jan 25, 12:58 pm, Buck
wrote:
[...]

Let's try the link again.

http://www.wisil.recumbents.com/wisi.../Sub4-2003.htm

Old January 28th 07, 06:09 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Dave Clary

On Thu, 25 Jan 2007 09:36:15 -0500, Curtis L. Russell
wrote:

On 24 Jan 2007 16:24:00 -0800, "JimM" wrote:

Based on my albeit limited experience, unless you commute in an
especially hilly area, you should average a higher speed on a
recumbent, all things being equal (fitness, quality of bike, etc). I
was able to sustain average speeds of well over 25 mph on an Easy Racer
Gold Rush along the Erie Canal trail. In average physical shape at the
time. I could have hit upwards of 30 mph w/ additional effort.
YMMV

I knew a person (via an older email group) that commuted on a fully
faired recumbent and his biggest problem was not hills, but the
combination of too many trucks 40 mph or better combined with too much
side wind. Controlling his recumbent brought his effective speed way
down.

Well here's a blast from the past. I commuted on a fully-faired
recumbent (a P-38 with an Ed Gin inspired fairing). It was pretty
fast but there was no way that I could approach the average speed the
OP was looking for in city traffic. And it was ultimately crazy
drivers and scary crosswinds that made me abandon the commute
altogether.

Now I get to sit back and see if anyone even finds this post in this
garbage-strewn NG. But first I'll kill file the obvious candidate and
see how many posts are left!! :-)

Dave Clary
Texas P-38 Squadron (Retired)