Feb 1 - DO NOT FEED THE TROLL

Old February 1st 07, 11:37 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent

Default Feb 1 - DO NOT FEED THE TROLL

This was written by 32GO a while back and I was asked to repost this
on ARBR.

A TROLL is trying to ruin ARBR. If you're new, you should know that we
don't want you to respond to any negative non-recumbent writing by the
TROLL or any TROLL, in the current thread you are reading. If you
can't hold back, copy what the TROLL said to you, come to this thread,
paste in what he said to you, and write your response here. That
keeps the recumbent thread clean (except for the TROLL's moronic
insult) and puts any additional crap here. ARBR can come alive if
this is done.

The above is the simple version (feel free to correct my mistakes
here). Below is the fully outlined version written by 32GO.

This will be reposted every 2-4 weeks to keep a fresh thread for the
TROLL.

Enjoy,

Perry B

Hey again folks -

OKAY, GUYS! Many of us here have at one time or another,
maybe two or three times in fact, tried to do his best
to minimize the impact of the TROLL on the ARBR
experience, either for himself or for the group as a
whole. This may be as good a time as we're ever going to
have, so let's - for the next two weeks or so - try it
ALL TOGETHER NOW as a carefully coordinated group
effort. Maybe instead of starting another obscure forum,
we can make this one more useful.

I think it's safe to say that most of the people who post
or peek in on ARBR agree that this TROLL is our major
problem, and that without him, most of us could get along
quite nicely and this group may have a chance to be worth
clicking into.

DECLARATION: IT'S OUR NEWSGROUP, DAMMIT, NOT THE TROLL'S!

SUGGESTION: Let's ALL (the real, nice people who honestly
do want the newsgroup to work) make a concerted effort to
use the forum just as if it wasn't preyed upon by the
ogre for a short trial period. If we can work together
within a serious, coordinated system, maybe we can make
it practical to enjoy the forum in spite of the TROLL.

Let's try these techniques suggested by Curtis (and
dozens of others over the last few years) to see if it
does make the newsgroup a bit more pleasant and somewhat
more practical. Let's ALL follow the guidelines below
thru the rest of this month (January 2007) and see - real
world - how effective they really are at providing a bit
of insulation from our worst annoyance.

READING THE NEWSGROUP:

Should be fairly simple.

IF YOU USE A NEWSREADER:

Killfile, filter or do whatever it takes to eliminate
all messages from or mention of the TROLL. If you need
help, ask for it in this thread or by emailing any
'volunteers' off-group. You may also find it advisable
to suppress its muttonheaded minion (or mutant Mini-Me,
maybe?) 'nget' aka 'Mike the Barker'. Since the former
often posts via Cycling Forums (which assigns a kind of
coded variable email address), you may need a trick,
which one of our newsreader gurus (not me!) may also be
able to provide.

IF YOU USE A WEB BROWSER:

Make a concerted effort to mentally tune out and ignore
the TROLL's posts on the website you've been using for
access; don't go into the threads he starts, and skip
over his posts to other threads. If that's too annoying,
use another gateway and archive that filters him out.
Contrary to claims by the idiot itself, there are several
alternatives to Google Groups (the most common web-based
Usenet interface). You may prefer to use (TROLL-free!)
Cycling Forum webpages, to read the group:

http://www.cyclingforums.com/f167-al...recumbent.html

[If that long line gets ginked, just go to their homepage,
then to their own (in-house) recumbent forum, and click
on the link near the top for real ARBR content.] Bookmark
it when you get it. It isn't necessary to join in order
to view messages posted there from ARBR, only to post via
their gateway.

FOR POSTING (EVERYONE!):

1. DO IT - THIS MONTH! As way too many folks have noted,
one thing ARBR desperately needs is pertinent content.
Post a message here, even if it's cross-posted at BROL.
Ask a friend to post at ARBR. I'll follow this up by
starting a legitimate on-topic thread. YOU'RE NEXT! If
you can think of any interesting subject to discuss,
please post it this month.

2. REPLY TO ON-TOPIC THREADS - If you have something to
say, say it. But please don't copy the entire content of
rambling, if there is any reference to the TROLL or if
any of its content is included, even if it seems to be
on-topic, and even if you don't reply to it. The goal is
to have a worthwhile discussion with ZERO input from the
dreadful dimwit.

3. STAY ON TOPIC - Talk about 'bents, not the TROLL, not
the newsgroup, and not the anonymous profane SPAMMER who
has been off and on lately. Don't reply to any off-topic
threads, or off-topic content in valid threads. Don't
quote, repeat or include links to off-topic content, and
don't comment about it. Mostly: DON'T FEED THE TROLL!
What it says about you doesn't matter; just do your
dead-level best to ignore its insults, its challenges,
its taunts and its questions. For two weeks or so,
please, everyone, just do your best to pretend the TROLL
simply doesn't exist.

4. ISOLATE OFF-TOPIC CONTENT - If at the last ditch, you
simply cannot refrain from off-topic content, put it in
this thread if it's relevant to this specific effort, or
if it's not, in the failsafe backup clearly labeled off-
topic 'DON'T FEED THE TROLL!' thread. Don't worry about
continuity; you can cut and paste anything to which
you're replying from its original location and indicate
quotes by using a right-pointing carat ('greater than'
symbol), allocated to its original poster in text as
needed. Even if you're relatively non-net-savvy, don't
sweat it; just take your best shot at formatting whatever
you have to say, without worrying about who's offended
or amused by your style.

5. DON'T SNIPE OR EVEN GIVE ADVICE PUBLICLY TO OTHER
POSTERS WHO SCREW UP - If you feel the need to ping
another poster because he's done something that you
feel is counterproductive, he's made a grammatical
error or whatever, do it privately rather than by
posting to the whole group. Part of the character of
a good open forum is active, robust disagreement on
pertinent topics, so that's good; please just don't
get off into style or personality differences.

And baduh-baduh-baduh... THAT'S ALL, FOLKS! Please
print this out if it helps as a reminder. Email me
privately if there's any way I can help, or even if
you simply feel a strong urge to ream me out about
this or anything - except the poetry of course. ;-)

Old February 1st 07, 11:48 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent

For example, I hit reply to my previous response, deleted everything
for that response and at the bottom I pasted the crap the TROLL wrote
to me in another thread.

Now I write my response to what the TROLL said to me.

The following is my response to the TROLL:

TROLL,

ALL IDIOTS ARE BOTTOM POSTERS!

Enjoy,

Perry B
Minnesota

On Apr 24 2006, 10:36 pm, "Edward Dolan" wrote:
wrote in message

oups.com...

ALL TOP POSTERS ARE IDIOTS!

Jeff,

I followed Ed's link and did not find a definitive answer. In fact,
they seem to talk about the original Usenet where top posting WAS
considered in poor taste, but with todays newsreaders top posting is,
to many, the perferred way in many instances such as this. Ed just has
too much short-term memory loss and shouldn't be on Usenet in the first
place, but he just doesn't get it.

See my response to Jeff Grippe's message preceding yours.

I would add that it is just so reasonable and logical to bottom post that
any discussion of the issue is strictly for morons. We want the reader to
follow with crystal clarity who is saying what and in the proper order. BothPerryand Jeff confuse Usenet, which has outside readers, with email, which
has no outside readers.

However, bothPerryand Jeff now at least include the complete previous
message to which they are responding at the bottom of their messages, so
that does mitigate somewhat the seriousness of their offense. What I can't
stand are those who respond to a message and do not include any of the
where it does NOT belong.

It is impossible to edit a previous message when you top post. Very many
messages need to be edited as it is often quite pointless to post it
complete when you are narrowing the discussion down to a few specific
points. Elementary, my dear Watson!

Regards,

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
aka

Old February 2nd 07, 12:43 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Joel

wrote:
[...]

This newsgroup has hit the bottom, if this continues it will be gone
forever and the troll can have it all to himself. What a waste of
bandwidth this has become. It is a real shame that a few no good rotten
pains in the A*s could do this to this group.
Old February 2nd 07, 01:50 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Edward Dolan

wrote in message
ups.com...
This was written by 32GO a while back and I was asked to repost this
on ARBR.

A TROLL is trying to ruin ARBR. If you're new, you should know that we
don't want you to respond to any negative non-recumbent writing by the
TROLL or any TROLL, in the current thread you are reading. If you
can't hold back, copy what the TROLL said to you, come to this thread,
paste in what he said to you, and write your response here. That
keeps the recumbent thread clean (except for the TROLL's moronic
insult) and puts any additional crap here. ARBR can come alive if
this is done.

The above is the simple version (feel free to correct my mistakes
here). Below is the fully outlined version written by 32GO.

This will be reposted every 2-4 weeks to keep a fresh thread for the
TROLL.

Nope, none of the above will work because I will not cooperate. Posts belong
in the thread to which they are posted in response, not some other thread
reserved for whatever.

Perry Butter is a pip-squeak and is easily disposed of. His intellect is on
a par with the high school kids that he supposedly instructs on the glories
of the computer. What he knows about Usenet you could put in a thimble with
room to spare.

Any post that is in response and is not in its proper thread will cause me
to give it an original post - with appropriate comments of course on the
intelligence of the poster.

Old February 2nd 07, 01:53 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Edward Dolan

wrote in message
oups.com...
For example, I hit reply to my previous response, deleted everything
for that response and at the bottom I pasted the crap the TROLL wrote
to me in another thread.

Now I write my response to what the TROLL said to me.

The following is my response to the TROLL:

TROLL,

ALL IDIOTS ARE BOTTOM POSTERS!

Since Perry Butler never says anything, who cares where he posts it. It will
never be read by anyone in any event.

Old February 2nd 07, 06:14 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Edward Dolan

wrote in message
ups.com...
This was written by 32GO a while back and I was asked to repost this
on ARBR.

A TROLL is trying to ruin ARBR.

That would be the SPAMMING TROLL, you freaking idiot!

If you're new, you should know that we
don't want you to respond to any negative non-recumbent writing by the
TROLL or any TROLL, in the current thread you are reading.

There is no one new here, just the same old idiots!

If you
can't hold back, copy what the TROLL said to you, come to this thread,
paste in what he said to you, and write your response here.

If you do that, I will give your message an original post with my response
to it so that it will be highlighted. Nothing gets buried without my say-so.

That
keeps the recumbent thread clean (except for the TROLL's moronic
insult) and puts any additional crap here.

Insult is in the eye of the beholder - you freaking idiot! No one has ever
yet been able to insult the Great Ed Dolan despite the many words tossed in
my direction. Why is that? Greatness, of course!

ARBR can come alive if
this is done.

ARBR is as dead as the proverbial door nail and nothing and no one can bring
it back to life, nay, not even Perry Butler with his cockeyed schemes.

The above is the simple version (feel free to correct my mistakes
here). Below is the fully outlined version written by 32GO.

This will be reposted every 2-4 weeks to keep a fresh thread for the
TROLL.

All of the above is for nothing. There is no one left on this group except
for a few boobs like you. It always greatly amuses me when someone comes
along to save someone when that someone is already dead. And so is this
group, only it doesn't know it yet.

If this group had ever meant anything to you, you would have stayed here and
helped it along. But you scattered like all the others when the going got
tough. Now that everyone is gone, you think you can bring them back? Why the
Hell should they ever want to come back to an unmoderated group where anyone
can say anything?

If you would like to prove something to me, let us see what you can do about
the SPAMMING TROLL? You are suppose to know all about computers and the
Internet, being an instructor in these subjects. But you can't do one damn
thing about the SPAMMING TROLL - can you?

Now you began to see why I have such contempt for those like you who are
unable to rectify the simplest of problems.

Old February 2nd 07, 10:20 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Jeff Grippe

Joel,

Ignore the trolls and post on-topic stuff. The way to keep this group going
is to post and respond to on-topic stuff. The trolls are going to keep doing
what they do because it amuses them. They may get tired of it or they may
not. Take 32GO's recommendations. Instead of posting something about how
awful the group has become, post something on-topic. There are a whole bunch
or regulars out there who are still reading the group and respond to
on-topic posts.

Jeff
"Joel" joelw135atcomcast.net wrote in message
. ..

Old February 3rd 07, 12:27 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Edward Dolan

"Jeff Grippe" wrote in message

ALL TOP POSTERS ARE IDIOTS!

Joel,

Ignore the trolls and post on-topic stuff. The way to keep this group
going is to post and respond to on-topic stuff. The trolls are going to
keep doing what they do because it amuses them. They may get tired of it
or they may not. Take 32GO's recommendations. Instead of posting something
about how awful the group has become, post something on-topic. There are a
whole bunch or regulars out there who are still reading the group and
respond to on-topic posts.

Good advice! Go and sin no more!

Old February 3rd 07, 12:39 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Edward Dolan

"Jeff Grippe" wrote in message

ALL TOP POSTERS ARE IDIOTS!

Joel,

Ignore the trolls and post on-topic stuff. The way to keep this group
going is to post and respond to on-topic stuff. The trolls are going to
keep doing what they do because it amuses them. They may get tired of it
or they may not. Take 32GO's recommendations. Instead of posting something
about how awful the group has become, post something on-topic. There are a
whole bunch or regulars out there who are still reading the group and
respond to on-topic posts.

I do not require that others respond to any of my messages. In fact, it is
better if no one does since there is not anyone left on this group who could
say anything to me that I would take notice of. Aye, it is pleasure to be
rid of all you idiots at long last.

Now I can say whatever I want without any jabs from the peanut gallery. Who
could ask for anything more?

Regards,

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
aka

PS. Jeff Grippe needs to learn how to post. Not only does he consistently
top post, but he does not know how to edit a post either. He is doubly
cursed because he is doubly stupid.