Saw an intelligent bicyclist today

Old March 6th 08, 06:29 AM posted to rec.autos.driving,rec.bicycles.misc
Ed Pirrero

Default Saw an intelligent bicyclist today

On Mar 5, 9:17 pm, Zoot Katz wrote:
On Wed, 5 Mar 2008 20:45:00 -0800 (PST), Ed Pirrero

wrote:
Here, read my lips: GO FIST YOURSELF

I can't wait until I there in person so I can here that come directly
from you piehole. It will be amusing.

Be sure to use a good lube and maybe a latex glove.

Uh, I don't swing that way. But thanks for the "offer".

Like I said, I'll be in contact.

E.P.
Old March 6th 08, 06:38 AM posted to rec.autos.driving,rec.bicycles.misc
Zoot Katz

On Wed, 5 Mar 2008 22:29:20 -0800 (PST), Ed Pirrero
wrote:

Like I said, I'll be in contact.

I'll hold my bladder.
--
zk
Old March 6th 08, 11:05 AM posted to rec.autos.driving,rec.bicycles.misc
Tom Keats

In article ,
N8N writes:

I guess nothing gets resolved on Usenet.

Oh, well.

It won't get resolved IRL either until BOTH groups start actually
playing by the rules.

I only play by the basic, Common Law RoW rules. And that's
just when there are other street users around who might be
affected by my deviation from them.

You know the basic RoW rules, dont'cha:

1) don't unsafely impinge on anyone else's line of
travel/safety zone

2) at major/minor street intersections, the street
with majority has the RoW

3) at intersections, the first one in gets to go first
(first come, first served)

4) when vehicles simultaneously approach an intersection,
the one on the right gets to go first (in North America)

RoW is always given, not taken at liberty.

I get a definite vibe from the cycling group that their **** don't
stink - oooh, cagers break the law all the time but most cyclists are
responsible alert riders. BS! The average cyclist doesn't have a
clue, much like the average driver.

I get a definite vibe from you drivers, too.

I have /never/ stolen the RoW from a driver.
If I did, I'd get pasted.

But I've had it stolen innumerable times from
me from drivers who think I don't matter simply
because I'm riding a bike instead of pointing a
car in some general direction. (Fortunately for
me, I'm alert to when they do that.)
Go figure.

Anyways, a lot of riders also drive cars. I guess the
attitudes of some of those folks are merely their
car-driving attitudes, carried over.

I don't drive, and never have. My attitude is simply
about letting people go kill themselves if they wanna.
As long as they don't kill me. And if they have to
pretend I'm in their way, that's an issue they'll have
to deal with. None o' my beeswax.

Actually, I do deeply feel the needless, thoughtless
loss of lives at the hands of stupido torpedoes.
I'm glad I'm not one of 'em.

Bikes are safer than cars. At least, when ridden
with a non-driving, bicycle-specific approach,
and the expectancy that you drivers won't respect
the basic RoW rules.

Drivers can be such a self-serving, self-centred
bunch of crybabies. It's most distasteful and
pathetic.

Cyclists can be such a self-serving, self-centred
bunch of crybabies. It's most distasteful and
pathetic.

Drivers can be cyclists, and vice verso.

--
Nothing is safe from me.
I'm really at:

Old March 6th 08, 11:28 AM posted to rec.autos.driving,rec.bicycles.misc
Tom Keats

In article ,
Ed Pirrero writes:

The difference, which seems to confuse the r.a.d. boys, is that
cyclist stupidity only rarely damages anyone else's person or
vehicle. *Motorist stupidity kills over 100 people per day in the US,
and keeps over 200,000 auto body repairmen employed full-time, fixing
the cars that aren't totaled.

Don't pretend the consequences are equal.

??

Nobody's making such a pretension. The consequences of a
car/bike collision are certainly unequal, and not in
favour of the cyclist.

And don't fall for your logical fallacy of the two wrongs.
Wrong is wrong, no matter what the vehicle.

Yeah, bicycle riders are so prolifically & willingly
splattering themselves over the front-ends of motor cars.

We /want/ you to hit us, destroy our lives, and maybe
even kill us. We mindfully hurl our bikes against your
S-series Mercedes's and Lexus's and Porche Boxters, with
a mind to make life inconvenient for youse.

Bicycling is a conspiracy, to make you suckers buy more
cars, and waste more money & time.

Let's go car hunting. I know just the dogs to bring along.

Old March 6th 08, 04:34 PM posted to rec.autos.driving,rec.bicycles.misc
Ed Pirrero

On Mar 6, 3:28*am, (Tom Keats) wrote:
In article ,
* * * * Ed Pirrero writes:

The difference, which seems to confuse the r.a.d. boys, is that
cyclist stupidity only rarely damages anyone else's person or
vehicle. *Motorist stupidity kills over 100 people per day in the US,
and keeps over 200,000 auto body repairmen employed full-time, fixing
the cars that aren't totaled.

Don't pretend the consequences are equal.

??

I didn't write that. Frank wrote that.

E.P.
Old March 6th 08, 05:58 PM posted to rec.autos.driving,rec.bicycles.misc
Stephen Harding

N8N wrote:
On Mar 5, 6:38 am, Stephen Harding wrote:

Putting a tonneau cover is about the best you can
do or leave it stock and hope the air bubble in
the bed helps keep air flow laminar as much as some
automotive engineers claim.

That squares with what I've heard as well; apparently the air in the
bed is "dead air" anyway so whether you have a tonneau or not makes
little difference. The tailgate apparently gives something of a Kamm
effect so it is actually beneficial.

I have a camper shell on my pickup so that I can carry car parts,
machine tools, etc. without worry about weather or sticky fingers, so
the decision has already been made for me in my case.

I put caps on my trucks. At one time I thought it helped
with fuel economy, but I've now read it probably doesn't
do much of anything.

Except for a cap specifically designed by the University of
??? engineering class to maximize fuel efficiency via minimal
drag.

Unfortunately, the cap sloped down towards the rear bumper
leading to a late 40's Hudson kind of look.

And of course, having a small opening in the back makes it
rather awkward actually using the bed to carry anything.

But as an engineering exercise, I guess it was a success.

SMH
Old March 7th 08, 03:56 AM posted to rec.autos.driving,rec.bicycles.misc
Tom Sherman[_2_]

Nate Nagel wrote:
Tom Sherman wrote:
Nate Nagel wrote:

Tom Sherman wrote:

Nate Nagel wrote:

Tom Sherman wrote:

Nate Nagel wrote:

Tom Sherman wrote:

Nate Nagel wrote:

Tom Sherman wrote:

Nate Nagel wrote:

Tom Sherman wrote:

Nate Nagel wrote:

Tom Sherman wrote:

Nate Nagel wrote:

But in any case, you have admitted to *slowing down* in
the process of
passing a truck because a following driver offended you
somehow. That ought to be illegal... oh wait, it is.

It ought to be illegal to use a vehicle in such an
offensive and aggressive manner.

Yes, I agree, deliberately blocking traffic is offensive
and aggressive. Your driver's license, please?

nate

(seriously. start driving like a reasonable person or stay
the **** off the road. There's enough assholes on the road
already.)

So are you one of those people who weaves back and forth
through traffic thinking everyone should get the hell out of
their way? That is who you are defending here.

No, I'm one of those people who simply expects others to
follow the rules of the road. I'm actually one of the slower
drivers in my area, not that it really matters. People are
going to drive at speeds different from one another; that's a
fact of life and you can't do anything about it. What you
*can* do is be courteous and accomodating, so everyone gets
where they're going with a minimum of hassle and frustration.

Well, I am referring to driver's whose expectation is that
everyone else get the hell out of their way.

That's a reasonable expectation, if they are driving faster
than the main flow and traffic isn't jammed up.

And how often does that apply to the right lane of an urban
interstate? Should people get out of the right (i.e. slow) lane
to let faster traffic by? Should not the faster traffic be
passing on the left?

These people are invariably driving vehicles that cost 2 to 3
times the mean vehicle price.

Envy much?

No, people of a certain class believe that they have special
privileges that lower classes do not.

It's not up to you to make a judgement call as to the
reasonableness of another vehicle operator's speed. If you
misjudge and inadvertantly hold someone up for a few seconds
while passing, that's an honest mistake.

If it is a honest mistake, does that allow for the driver
being delayed one or two seconds the right to act like an
asshole?

If it's only one or two seconds, they probably won't act like
an asshole. If it's "as long as possible," well, people are
human.

My experience is that they act like jerks if they have to slow
down say 5 mph for one of two seconds.

But if you deliberately hold them up, that's
"passive-aggressive driving" in my book and just as
unacceptable as tailgating, cutting someone off, etc.

When someone else acts like an asshole first without
provocation, should one give in and let the MFFY *******s win?
In the passing the semi-truck situation, if the third driver
stays back a couple of vehicle lengths, I will speed up and
return to the right lane as soon as possible. If they try to
intimidate me off the road, to hell with them. They can sit
and stew.

So you're as much of an asshole as anyone else on the road.
Got it.

And you are one of the people that acts like a jerk? Got it.

I think this is where the thread denigrates to IKYABWAI, isn't it?

Except in this instance, I *am* a courteous driver and you *are*
the asshole.

Opinion stated as fact.

Well, it may be my *opinion* that I am a courteous driver, but you
have yet to accuse me of one discourteous behaviour that I actually
exhibit.

No, according to your postings you think everyone should get the
hell our of YOUR road.

No, I said slower traffic should yield to faster traffic. I am
usually "slower traffic." Where in the world did you get the idea
this was all about me? We're talking basic courtesy and first day
behind the wheel Driver's Ed stuff, here.

It is not practical to yield to faster traffic when the passing of the
truck has already started, and someone suddenly cuts over from the
right lane and speeds way up just to tailgate.

Where did all that come from? I'm simply talking about passing in an
expedient manner. You shouldn't take more than 10 seconds to pass ANY
vehicle. If it's going to take you longer than that, you should just
stay behind the slower driver because you're not going faster enough
(yes, I know that's grammatically awkward) to make it worth anyone's
while for you to pass.

I have had people do exactly that - whip over from the right lane
through the center to the left (without signaling, of course), and then
close up to 5 feet or less with the high beams on. The message they are
sending is obvious "get the **** out of my road". Equally obvious is
that these people have no respect for right-of-way; their minds are
fixed on "ME ME ME!".

You however have admitted to being an asshole on the road.

When did not giving into a bully turn into assholic behavior?

Slowing down to "let someone stew" is definitely assaholic.
Especially when you can't possibly know what he's thinking; he may
have no ill intent toward you at all, just crept up a little closer
than you'd like.

Proper following distance is basic. Following a 5 feet or less with
high beams on is not just creeping up a little.

If you're regularly experiencing that, you're doing it wrong. I don't
ever get that, and I live in DC-land, AKA asshole driver capital of the
USA.

I had a jerk do that just a couple of hours ago on a two lane street,
where my speed was limited by vehicles in front of me. I hope he acts
like that outside the car some day and gets his facial features
rearranged for his troubles.

One would think that someone (presumably) posting from a biking
group would be a little more concerned about road safety and
driving correctly, but I guess not.

Yes, someone zig-zagging through traffic at speeds significantly
higher then the general flow, cutting people off, and aggressively
tailgating is being a safe driver?

Where did I advocate any of that? Please post cites.

Those are the people who are usually found to aggressively tailgate
someone who is passing a truck at a reasonable speed differential, or
is being slowed by another vehicle ahead in the passing lane.

So I didn't say that. Thanks.

And you are upset that someone does not speed up to an unsafe speed
to avoid delaying someone who behaves this way a second or two?

I am upset that you admit to slowing down to apparently teach other
drivers a lesson. Grow the **** up already.

However, you believe that aggressive tailgating with the high beams on
is just fine to teach someone a lesson.

Cite?

Apparent by implication - please clarify if you meant something else.

Grow up already.

Stop using troll logic.

Yes, indeed, please do so.

Old March 7th 08, 03:58 AM posted to rec.autos.driving,rec.bicycles.misc
Tom Sherman[_2_]

Ed Pirrero wrote:
On Mar 3, 6:51 pm, Tom Sherman
wrote:
Brent P? wrote:
In article , wrote:
On Mar 2, 11:12 pm, (Brent P)
wrote:
In article , wrote:
On Mar 1, 9:09 pm, (Brent P) wrote:
In article , Tom Sherman wrote:
I don't know where trucks actually go 55mph...
Up hills.
(Sheesh.)
Not any of the hills around here.
:-) Well THAT clears things up! The hills in Chicago don't slow
trucks, therefore there are no hills anywhere that slow trucks!
Holy jump battman. I never said any such thing, but you know that.
I don't know why the highway departments around here wasted all the
money on those "7% grade" signs! They should have checked with racer-
boy!
I dunno. The times I've driven through the hills and mountains on the way
to and from NC and WV I don't recall the trucks dropping to 55mph...
maybe my memory is off, that could be, but I think they kept it above
55mph for the most part. They certainly do through the hills of WI. Now
they do slow, but 55mph seems to be a floor speed. I suppose there are
some mountain roads out there where they slow to 45mph or something but
that is still the limit of their vehicles, I have rarely seen truckers
restrict themselves to 55mph.

In Colorado on I-70, I have passed trucks that were doing 15-20 mph
uphill. (I was doing about 40-45 mph, full throttle in 3rd gear, in a
Rabbit (Golf I).

Brent lives in the flatlands and has no idea what mountains are like.

Out here in the west, 18-wheelers often climb mt. passes at half the
SL or less. Mostly, they are nice about restricting themselves to the
right lane only.

Sometimes, they are jerks and micropass at 25 mph in the right lane,
and 27 mph in the left lane.
[...]

And sometimes one truck drives on the shoulder to let a slightly faster
truck go by in the right lane.

Old March 7th 08, 04:00 AM posted to rec.autos.driving,rec.bicycles.misc
Tom Sherman[_2_]

N8N aka Nate Nagel wrote:
On Mar 5, 9:52 am, " wrote:

In the suburbs you get the yuppies who consider you a lower life form

Heh. I love yuppies, I really do.

Baked, boiled, grilled, deep fried...its all good.

DANGER and Intelligent Unicyclists ivan Unicycling 14 November 11th 07 10:23 PM
What - Intelligent Thought? Joe Cipale Racing 291 February 28th 07 04:16 AM
What - Intelligent Thought? ST Racing 0 February 20th 07 12:28 AM
Intelligent comment Mikefule Unicycling 25 July 21st 05 03:05 AM
more intelligent computers Miles General 7 December 8th 04 12:52 AM