22 Sept. No petrol day

Old September 22nd 05, 02:43 AM
Marx SS

Default 22 Sept. No petrol day

I liked that -compressed air - car on Beyond Tomorrow last night. Just
runs off a large tank with mega compressed air (something like 30 bar).
Range of 200kms untill re-pump required [not sure if my floor pump would
be any good for that].

I wanted to buy some fuel today, but rode in as normal instead.

--
Marx SS

Old September 22nd 05, 03:02 AM
Stuart Lamble

On 2005-09-22, Marx SS wrote:
I liked that -compressed air - car on Beyond Tomorrow last night. Just
runs off a large tank with mega compressed air (something like 30 bar).
Range of 200kms untill re-pump required [not sure if my floor pump would
be any good for that].

A quick google says:

30 bar == 435.11 psi

Considering that the typical bike pump can get you up to around about
150 psi (give or take), I doubt it.

As an aside, scuba divers carry tanks with air at around 200-300 bar.

Old September 22nd 05, 03:15 AM
dave

Marty wrote:
So has anyone bought petrol today?

Marty

No motorcycle still sitting with empty tank.

Old September 22nd 05, 03:18 AM
TimC

On 2005-09-22, Stuart Lamble (aka Bruce)
On 2005-09-22, Marx SS wrote:
I liked that -compressed air - car on Beyond Tomorrow last night. Just
runs off a large tank with mega compressed air (something like 30 bar).
Range of 200kms untill re-pump required [not sure if my floor pump would
be any good for that].

A quick google says:

30 bar == 435.11 psi

Mmmmm, rupturable.

--
TimC
Truth decays into beauty, while beauty soon becomes merely
Old September 22nd 05, 03:26 AM
eddiec

Marx SS Wrote:
I liked that -compressed air - car on Beyond Tomorrow last night. Just
runs off a large tank with mega compressed air (something like 30 bar).
Range of 200kms untill re-pump required [not sure if my floor pump would
be any good for that].

I wanted to buy some fuel today, but rode in as normal instead.

Well, I filled up today. But then given that it's our little Corolla, I
haven't filled it in about a month, and I filled with the 'greenish'
ethanol blended fuel that's just started being sold around the corner
I'm not feeling too guilty about it.

That car was awesome last night! Both the urban version which could be
compressed at home for a couple of bucks, and the hybrid version which
on a single tank could drive across Australia. Brilliant stuff...

--
eddiec

Old September 22nd 05, 04:13 AM
Resound

"Theo Bekkers" wrote in message
dtmeister wrote:
Theo Bekkers wrote:

I wasn't - it was originally a question. I said forward him the link
and see which bits he relates to.

Hmm, I inferred a judgement on your part.

You seem hung up on money. It's not about the $$ cost. I'd have the
same question if he was moving from his current sensible car to a
$3000 1980's Landcruiser.

OK.

A 4WD bought to tool around suburbia generally burns more fuel than
the average car, damages the roads more than an average car, is more
likely to kill the occupants of an average car without offering much
if any more protection to the passengers in an accident.

I agree. However, the legal requirement of having to install two
regulation size child seating/capsule, and having to transport a two child
stroller (it folds up but is still quite bulky), as well as fitting in a
week's shopping, does impact on the size of the vehicle required. You
really can't do this in a Getz, or in a C180 (more chance in the Getz). At
the time of buying the C180 she was preggers with the first and driving a
RAV4, the one my wife now has. The RAV4 with a baby capsule makes it quite
cramped in the front for the passenger. Two is out of the question, it
would make the vehicle unsafe to drive.

But of course, it's his choice, I'm just of the opinion that it's one
of the more selfish choices that some are making these days - and as
a society we are at least beginning to question them.

And so we should. Maybe one day we will begin to question the amount of
money we spend on armament.

Theo

Oh I started questioning that a LONG time ago. Mind you, as a country, we're
quite restrained in that regard, at least in comparison to some. I'm
wondering how long it'll take for the US to become another USSR...a support
system for its armed forces and very little else.

Old September 22nd 05, 04:14 AM
Resound

"Marty" wrote in message
So has anyone bought petrol today?

Marty

About as much as I usually do

Old September 22nd 05, 04:22 AM
vaudegiant

So has anyone bought petrol today?

Marty

I've looked and looked, but my bike doesn't seem to have a
petrol tank.

Then that house in the middle of nowhere (unless you are self
sufficient, including having enough rainfall for water, given that
water is a very expensive resource in real terms), and that 2 tonne
SUV won't be afforable.

And resumably the 1800 kg non-SUV will be just (or almost) as
expensive.

Pat

--
vaudegiant

Old September 22nd 05, 04:26 AM
vaudegiant

Oh I started questioning that a LONG time ago. Mind you, as a country,
we're
quite restrained in that regard, at least in comparison to some. I'm
wondering how long it'll take for the US to become another USSR...a
support
system for its armed forces and very little else.

I'd say it's a little late for that. The US Military-Industrial System
has been in full swing for over 50 years.

Pat

--
vaudegiant

Old September 22nd 05, 04:40 AM
Euan

"Stuart" == Stuart Lamble writes:

Stuart On 2005-09-22, Marx SS
Stuart wrote:
I liked that -compressed air - car on Beyond Tomorrow last
night. Just runs off a large tank with mega compressed air
(something like 30 bar). Range of 200kms untill re-pump required
[not sure if my floor pump would be any good for that].

Stuart A quick google says:

Stuart 30 bar == 435.11 psi

Stuart Considering that the typical bike pump can get you up to
Stuart around about 150 psi (give or take), I doubt it.

Stuart As an aside, scuba divers carry tanks with air at around
Stuart 200-300 bar.

I saw it too, thought it was 300 bar. That tanks are made of carbon
fibre so that in the event of an accident they'll split rather than
shatter with lots of shrapnel.
--
Cheers | ~~ __@
Euan | ~~ _-\,