what am i doing wrong

Old June 8th 06, 04:12 AM posted to aus.bicycle

Default what am i doing wrong

hi,
i have an avanti mountain bike, currently with massive off road
tyres.....the slicks are in the shed.
i enjoy going for a 1 hour cycle every now and then. However....i find that
cycling does not keep my heart rate high enough. i would prefer to finsh a
cycle as if i'd been running...... exhausted......shoud i switch to a racing
bike or back to the slicks or....?
jase

Old June 8th 06, 04:48 AM posted to aus.bicycle

"jas" wrote in message
hi,
i have an avanti mountain bike, currently with massive off road
tyres.....the slicks are in the shed.
i enjoy going for a 1 hour cycle every now and then. However....i find
that cycling does not keep my heart rate high enough. i would prefer to
finsh a cycle as if i'd been running...... exhausted......shoud i switch
to a racing bike or back to the slicks or....?
jase

I'd have thought that a mtb with knobbies would be heavier, and have more
wind and rolling resistance than either option.

Maybe...

* pick a better route - ride up more hills?
* push yourself harder
* choose bigger gears (watch your knees!)
* change your gearing so you don't have as many easy gears.
* go further.
* buy a heavier bike - go freeride d00d!
* buy a heart rate monitor and work out what works?

I don't really know, but do I know I can finish a ride at least as buggered
as when I used to run. My mtb with one semi slick is much faster and easier
to ride than my mtb with big fat knobbies. The fact that one's a lightish
hardtail, and ones a big, fat, heavy duallie might have something to do with
it as well... ;^)

I can also do the same rides at a more relaxed pace, and barely raise a
sweat. I need to put in if I want to be knackered.

Tony F

Old June 8th 06, 04:56 AM posted to aus.bicycle

jas wrote:
hi,
i have an avanti mountain bike, currently with massive off road
tyres.....the slicks are in the shed.
i enjoy going for a 1 hour cycle every now and then. However....i find that
cycling does not keep my heart rate high enough. i would prefer to finsh a
cycle as if i'd been running...... exhausted......shoud i switch to a racing
bike or back to the slicks or....?
jase

All you need to do is drink more coffee before you ride. I did the
river loop last week, average pace wasn't too bad. Then I had two
double shot flat whites. Then my heart was racing and my legs needed to
keep up.

Old June 8th 06, 05:30 AM posted to aus.bicycle

jas Wrote:
hi,
i have an avanti mountain bike, currently with massive off road
tyres.....the slicks are in the shed.
i enjoy going for a 1 hour cycle every now and then. However....i find
that
cycling does not keep my heart rate high enough. i would prefer to
finsh a
cycle as if i'd been running...... exhausted......shoud i switch to a
racing
bike or back to the slicks or....?
jase

Hill sprints on the MTB.

With a backpack full of bricks.

Keep repeating them, in a harder gear each time until your lunch comes
back.

--
Bikesoiler

Old June 8th 06, 05:30 AM posted to aus.bicycle

jas wrote:
hi,
i have an avanti mountain bike, currently with massive off road
tyres.....the slicks are in the shed.
i enjoy going for a 1 hour cycle every now and then. However....i find that
cycling does not keep my heart rate high enough. i would prefer to finsh a
cycle as if i'd been running...... exhausted......shoud i switch to a racing
bike or back to the slicks or....?

Or consider how you're training and what for. If you want to be
panting at the end of a session, all you need to do is sprint on the
bike for 30 seconds at the end.

If yuo want a high heartrate, spin your pedals faster in a low gear.
Tyres don't make any difference, neither will the bike itself (within
reason). What makes your heart beat is intensity of exercise. I can
guarantee that you can be completely stuffed at the end of a 60 minute
ride if you do it at a high enough intensity. You can be stuffed at
the end of 75 seconds if you do it hard enough ....

Bear in mind that a very high heartrate is probably not all that
beneficial, depending on the specific thing you're training for.

Old June 8th 06, 06:32 AM posted to aus.bicycle

tony f wrote:
"jas" wrote in message
hi,
i have an avanti mountain bike, currently with massive off road
tyres.....the slicks are in the shed.
i enjoy going for a 1 hour cycle every now and then. However....i find
that cycling does not keep my heart rate high enough. i would prefer to
finsh a cycle as if i'd been running...... exhausted......shoud i switch
to a racing bike or back to the slicks or....?
jase

* choose bigger gears (watch your knees!)
* change your gearing so you don't have as many easy gears.

I'd do the opposite. Increase your cadence by dropping to an easier
gear. Try riding a good distance (say 20 k's) at a high constant
cadence (90 and above). I try to do 95-100 on my commute. That get's
me fscked! I'm sure a little harder and I'd certainly feel as though
I'd been on a long run.

--
Bean

Remove "yourfinger" before replying
Old June 8th 06, 06:41 AM posted to aus.bicycle

jas wrote:
hi,
i have an avanti mountain bike, currently with massive off road
tyres.....the slicks are in the shed.
i enjoy going for a 1 hour cycle every now and then. However....i find that
cycling does not keep my heart rate high enough. i would prefer to finsh a
cycle as if i'd been running...... exhausted......shoud i switch to a racing
bike or back to the slicks or....?
jase

Sell the motorbike and only use your pushie. Then your general fitness
will go up and you won't feel such a need to lay waste to yourself when
you ride.

Old June 8th 06, 08:35 AM posted to aus.bicycle

On 2006-06-08, Bean Long (aka Bruce)
tony f wrote:
"jas" wrote in message
i enjoy going for a 1 hour cycle every now and then. However....i find
that cycling does not keep my heart rate high enough. i would prefer to

* choose bigger gears (watch your knees!)
* change your gearing so you don't have as many easy gears.

I'd do the opposite. Increase your cadence by dropping to an easier
gear. Try riding a good distance (say 20 k's) at a high constant
cadence (90 and above). I try to do 95-100 on my commute. That get's
me fscked! I'm sure a little harder and I'd certainly feel as though
I'd been on a long run.

I was able to slightly elevate my heart rate on the second day of a
tour once by putting the cadence up to 180 or so. Wasn't quite so
useful though.

--
TimC
aibohphobia, n., The fear of palindromes

And here I thought it was the fear of robotic Japanese dogs.
-- Tom "Tom" Harrington
Old June 8th 06, 10:15 AM posted to aus.bicycle

On 2006-06-08, Bean Long (aka Bruce)
tony f wrote:
"jas" wrote in message
i enjoy going for a 1 hour cycle every now and then. However....i find
that cycling does not keep my heart rate high enough. i would prefer to

* choose bigger gears (watch your knees!)
* change your gearing so you don't have as many easy gears.

I'd do the opposite. Increase your cadence by dropping to an easier
gear. Try riding a good distance (say 20 k's) at a high constant
cadence (90 and above). I try to do 95-100 on my commute. That get's
me fscked! I'm sure a little harder and I'd certainly feel as though
I'd been on a long run.

I was able to slightly elevate my heart rate on the second day of a
tour once by putting the cadence up to 180 or so. Wasn't quite so
useful though.

gross generalisation time :

low cadence works muscle (usual gumby rider does this -far- too much
and wastes a lot of their time with poor fitness gains)
high cadence works aerobic system (heartrate higher!)

You guys know this stuff by now ...

Old June 8th 06, 01:22 PM posted to aus.bicycle

In aus.bicycle on 8 Jun 2006 02:15:51 -0700
Bleve wrote:
low cadence works muscle (usual gumby rider does this -far- too much
and wastes a lot of their time with poor fitness gains)
high cadence works aerobic system (heartrate higher!)

So pushing hard as I can up hills doing 80-90 works both?

Zebee