Starting a uni club

Old October 16th 03, 01:14 AM
James_Potter

Default Starting a uni club

Hey,
My friends and I are considering starting a unicycle (possibly
unicycling/juggling[but mainly unicycling]) club. How did other people
go about beginning one?
I already have about four friends who unicycle. Each of them have two
uni's. Including myself, that would give us over ten unicycles. If we
started a club, then people who don't know how to unicycle wouldn't have
to go rush out and buy one (even though we would advise them to, even if
it's just a $70 20" Torker).
So my questions a what do you do at unicycling clubs, how did you
start one, how did you advertise for it, etc. Basically just give me
tips.

--
James_Potter - Order of Merlin, first class

That MUni trip was swell,
but now the swelling is going down.

Old October 16th 03, 03:57 AM
Greenchicken_13

Sorry I can't help you. But I haven't started one either. I was just
wondering where you live/ are starting this club? Thanks.

--
Greenchicken_13
Greenchicken_13's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4331

Old October 16th 03, 04:32 AM
djm

James_Potter wrote:
*So my questions a what do you do at unicycling clubs, how did you
start one, how did you advertise for it, etc. Basically just give me
tips. *

Find a suitable Club House Temporary such as a Boys Scout Hall or a
Local High School that they might have indoor sporting grounds such as
Basketball Courts is the best idea's to meet. Meet once a Month or so
(Others may have some other ideas than me). Advertise in local papers
under "Public Notices or Announcements" and make some flyers on your
computer with colored paper that will stand out the attention to the
young people and other people that might take their fancy in their needs
to take up the challenge of unicycling. Juggling should be on the cards
too besides unicycling as many kids would like to take it up in the
future. All Kids and Youngsters should make new friends and the same way
as Adults too at all Unicycle clubs meeting and that way there shouldn't
be no dramas at all.
Good luck James if you do decided to run a Unicycle club or not.

David

--
djm - David John Mason

http://www.unicyclist.com/gallery/davidsalbum
davidjmason[at]unicyclist[dot]com
-David J. Mason-

djm's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3299

Old October 16th 03, 07:41 AM
thinuniking

you do not even have to have a hut.we meet at a butchers shop where most
of the people work.we got our club on the local circus and magic shop's
web site and posted a few things on unicyclist we got a few replies one
of the 2 made it the other was to far. sarah miller comes sometimes that
was just luck though i emailed her about the fact i had not got a uk
union of unicyclists news letter and asked if she could put our club on
the site as they have a few on it.she replied say she lives near and
would like to come so now there is 8 of us in the club.

--
thinuniking - mad as a clown

i have given up the wheel to live
thinuniking's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4294

Old October 16th 03, 08:45 AM
andrew_carter

We've got a great little club here in Brisbane that's really informal.
Basically those of us who can make it turn up at a set time on a public
basketball court. I'm there every week and others turn up when they
feel like it. In the good old days we'd teach people skills and play
some games and so on. Lately not many people have been turning up so
we'll have to sort that out but it's really fun.

As for advertising, I'd stay firstly make a flyer and ask to put it up
in a local bike shop. The main thing you can do though is just get out
there and ride together. Pretty soon you'll have people either learning
to ride or saying, "Hey my cousin rides one of those things." at which
point you could invite him or her to join you.

Good luck...group unicycling is the best type of unicycling!

Andrew

--
andrew_carter - http://www.thehungersite.com

andrew_carter (at) mail (dot) com
http://www.unicycles.com.au - Opening soon!
I love unicycling!

Old October 16th 03, 08:59 AM
GILD

James_Potter wrote:
*How did other people go about beginning one?*

we came up with a catchy name and proceeded to tell everybody with a
unicycle that they were now members
GUS is a remarkably laid back outfit that started from within the 'BALLS
UP!' juggling club
alltho most members used to be jugglers who learnt how to ride, we are
now beginning to see more riders learning to juggle

we're hoping to get things slightly more organised in the next couple of
months
a new member is quite invovled in web design and we hope to have a
website up by the end of november
we're thinking about t-shirts but we need a logo first
(i think the letters G U S - esp the G - kinda lends itself to being
extended into a unicycle of sorts, if u're feeling creative...)
i'm also hoping to get membership cards and then arrange a discount on
unicycles for members from the couple of retailers who actually stock
uni's in south africa
or just make the deal with one and in exchange we'll recommend that shop
to prospective unicyclists

at some stage we'll formalise our involvement in the gauteng and
national juggling association (ganja)'s annual convention by arranging a
south african national unicyclist convention (sanuk - we hope to get
some confused canadians to come out) to run concurrently
this does happen in everything but name

our weekly meetings are remarkably laid back and we pretty much get
together and do stuff
if someone's in the mood to 'play' hockey (the inverted commas is there
because we dont have enough people for two teams so we just kinda mess
around) or basketball, we'll send out a group SMS.
i use that way of spreading info quite a bit

the one suggestion i have is to try n find as many free classified ads
(normally online) to list the organisation on
i've mentioned this in 'another thread' (http://tinyurl.com/p0lp)
when u get your club together, spend some time putting together a press
release and hit as many media centres as u can
radio stations, tv stations, newspapers, local magazines
producers are forever looking for content and unicycling is quirky
enough to make even the most jaded old pro give u five minutes
this is where the catchy name (and an email addy
) comes in handy
esp in radio, if people hear it and want to contact u, the name will
stick till they get to the office
if u decide to go this route, start a thread about compiling a press
release and tap into some of the expertise floating around this group

god! i can ramble!!

--
GILD - Waffle-tosser

When you think of the long and gloomy history of man, you will find more
hideous crimes have been committed in the name of obedience than have
ever been committed in the name of rebellion.
-- C. P. Snow
'this will only take a minute...(fixed)'
(
http://www.burmacampaign.org.uk/actions/un.htm)
'and while u're in a good-deed-doing-mood...'
(http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com.)

JUST SAY 'KNOW'!

Namaste!
Dave

Old October 16th 03, 10:20 AM
Tony Stock

I have recently started going to a juggling club - you would be
surprised just how many people also ride Unis - of about the 10
regulars at least 6 ride Unis, however they seem more interested in
juggling and only one other guy brings his Uni every week.

Maybe you should check out your local juggling club (which would at
least have a regular slot and a venue) then at the very worst you
could find some potential new members for a Uni club.

Good luck anyway

Tony - Nottingham, England
Old October 16th 03, 03:43 PM
James_Potter

Thanks for all the tips - this really helped me!
I am going to start one, and have a little bit of juggling included. But
I think it will mostly concentrate on unicycling (probably trials and
MUni). If I hold it at the school, I bet I could get the school to let
us use a bus (and a driver) to go up to a MUni trail or something.
They're always doing ski trips and the like.

Old October 16th 03, 03:47 PM
GILD

James_Potter wrote:
* If I hold it at the school, I bet I could get the school to let us
use a bus (and a driver) to go up to a MUni trail or something.
They're always doing ski trips and the like. *

get the school to award merit badges (or honour rolls or whatever they
do to recognize sporting achievements) for unicycling