A Cycling & bikes forum. CycleBanter.com

Go Back   Home » CycleBanter.com forum » rec.bicycles » Racing
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

More John Tesh Music

Old June 22nd 19, 04:19 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default More John Tesh Music

On Friday, November 30, 2018 at 1:16:36 PM UTC-5, wrote:
I was just digging online to see if much has ever surfaced regarding Tesh's first cassette of TV music. 30 years ago I dubbed a copy from a friend and discovered that I still have it. I'm going to rig things up and make mp3 files of the tracks.

Eric S.

This is an old thread, but...
I have been going nuts for a week now, trying to find an old set of John Tesh Tour de France songs/LP. Back in 1989, I was given a cassette from a guy in college who was into cycling...he knew I was into synth music. It was a Tesh Tour de France album, BUT none of the currently listed "Tour de France" albums from that time frame seem to match the song list I recall. The song list I see for Tour de France and TdF The Early Years seems shorter (though some song titles seem familiar). What I do know there is at least one song missing from the LP's that I can find that I am looking for...I think it was the opener on this cassette I had, it was synth heavy, fairly fast paced, had strong brassy power chord opening to it...and I have not found this track on youtube anywhere, and it doesn't seem to match any of the tracks listed on the Tour de France albums. I still have this cassette somewhere, but can't find it. Is it possible it a rarer issue, and does it happen to be this cassette you mentioned? This is driving me nuts, I know I am not imagining this.
Ads
Old June 22nd 19, 04:28 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Craig Chilton
external usenet poster

On Friday, June 21, 2019 at 11:19:06 PM UTC-4, wrote:
I was just digging online to see if much has ever surfaced regarding Tesh's first cassette of TV music. 30 years ago I dubbed a copy from a friend and discovered that I still have it. I'm going to rig things up and make mp3 files of the tracks.

Eric S.

I have been going nuts for a week now, trying to find an old set of John Tesh Tour de France songs/LP. Back in 1989, I was given a cassette from a guy in college who was into cycling...he knew I was into synth music. It was a Tesh Tour de France album, BUT none of the currently listed "Tour de France" albums from that time frame seem to match the song list I recall. The song list I see for Tour de France and TdF The Early Years seems shorter (though some song titles seem familiar). What I do know there is at least one song missing from the LP's that I can find that I am looking for...I think it was the opener on this cassette I had, it was synth heavy, fairly fast paced, had strong brassy power chord opening to it...and I have not found this track on youtube anywhere, and it doesn't seem to match any of the tracks listed on the Tour de France albums. I still have this cassette somewhere, but can't find it. Is it possible it a rarer issue, and does it happen to be this cassette you mentioned? This is driving me nuts, I know I am not imagining this.

Does this help?

https://www.amazon.com/Tour-France-E.../dp/B0000000K0
Old June 23rd 19, 01:38 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
NFN Smith[_2_]
external usenet poster

Craig Chilton wrote:

Eric S.

Does this help?

Only partially.

Tesh's first release was done on cassette, as "Tour de France Vol 1",
which was stuff that was used on the air during his time at CBS. It was
an audition tape, as much as anything. The original release was done by
Drama Labs.

The stuff that has been released on CDs is later -- additional pieces,
and a number from the first one that have been remixed or rearranged.
That's all good stuff, but it's not what went into the original
compilation (including the edgy synthesizer music).

I also had a copy of that tape that I really liked, and I managed to
lose it when I lost a tape case.

I'd love to see a copy of that tape, but I'm doubtful that it's going to
be possible, and even if you can find something, it's likely to have all
the issues of a cassette that was made in the late 1980's. eBay might
be a better source than Amazon.

Beyond that, I will note that I've been able to hear some of the music
off of YouTube, where a lot of the CBS broadcasts that Tesh did until
his departure in 1986 (and even up to 1988, when CBS was still doing
cycling) can be watched.

For what it's worth, I have a long-time affection for the 1988 broadcast
(which I was able to videotape when recorded). The music there is as
much Yanni as Tesh, but to me, is nearly as satisfying. And I do have
most of Yanni's stuff that was used.

Smith
Old June 23rd 19, 03:02 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
[email protected]
external usenet poster

On Saturday, June 22, 2019 at 8:38:25 PM UTC-4, NFN Smith wrote:
Craig Chilton wrote:

Eric S.

Does this help?

Only partially.

Drama Labs.

cycling) can be watched.

Smith

Craig, thanks for taking a shot. I have seen the currently available and referenced LP's, including the one you linked, and none of them are it. As Smith posts, this was something a bit different...it subsumed some of the tracks on these ones that are floating around out there, but there were definitely a few additional ones. I am stunned that I can't actually find any kind of legit reference to it...it is almost like a myth, except I know it wasn't because I have it somewhere lol. I can almost vaguely see the names of the tracks in my head even, it was so long ago I can't remember. But I can hear the songs in my head. The person who gave it to me was an avid cycler, it is entirely possible he picked it up in a bike shop...maybe it was a promotional item or something. It was freshman year of college, fall of 1989, on cassette. And it definitely isn't any of the currently published or listed albums though it was definitely a "Tour de France" issue.
Old June 24th 19, 11:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Michael[_10_]
external usenet poster

On Saturday, June 22, 2019 at 9:02:11 PM UTC-5, wrote:
On Saturday, June 22, 2019 at 8:38:25 PM UTC-4, NFN Smith wrote:
Craig Chilton wrote:

Eric S.

Does this help?

Only partially.

Drama Labs.

cycling) can be watched.

Smith

Craig, thanks for taking a shot. I have seen the currently available and referenced LP's, including the one you linked, and none of them are it. As Smith posts, this was something a bit different...it subsumed some of the tracks on these ones that are floating around out there, but there were definitely a few additional ones. I am stunned that I can't actually find any kind of legit reference to it...it is almost like a myth, except I know it wasn't because I have it somewhere lol. I can almost vaguely see the names of the tracks in my head even, it was so long ago I can't remember. But I can hear the songs in my head. The person who gave it to me was an avid cycler, it is entirely possible he picked it up in a bike shop...maybe it was a promotional item or something. It was freshman year of college, fall of 1989, on cassette. And it definitely isn't any of the currently published or listed albums though it was definitely a "Tour de France" issue.

Looks like you can get the CD for a v. low price:

https://www.alibris.com/Tour-de-Fran...t=p&matches=10
Old March 13th 20, 07:02 PM

First recorded activity by CycleBanter: Dec 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post

Eric S.

I used to have this cassette tape as well, "Music from The Tour de France Vol.1"/1987, if anyone has downloadable music files of this cassette I would love to hear from you @ .