First switchel of the season

Old July 9th 20, 05:15 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Joy Beeson

Default First switchel of the season

Sigh. I was supposed to be in shape to ride forty miles of the Tour
des Lakes this weekend, and I'm getting ready to carry tea and
switchel for the first time.

(The third checkpoint of the Metric Century of the Tour is a short
walk from my house.)

I'm pre-registered for the 2021 Tour.

Anyhow, I've forgotten how to make switchel concentrate, which I used
to add to water I'd picked up along the way, but there are fewer
drinking fountains every year, so I have to carry lots of water in my
panniers.

I forgot that one makes a thick batter of the dry ingredients, then
dilutes it little by little, but much beating gets the lumps out of
oat flour.

I used one cup of vinegar syrup from bread-and-butter pickles. It was
originally equal parts of sugar and 5% vinegar, but acetic acid boils
out faster than water and this has been boiled before, so I chopped up
a stick of rhubarb, which I will strain out when I pour the
concentrate into a jar.

A quarter cup of oat flour, all of the remaining gengibre molido
(about two tablespoons of ground ginger), a quarter teaspoon of Lite
Salt, and a quarter teaspoon of salt.

---------------

Worked out fairly well, but I didn't doctor my water with it, but
drank a couple of swigs straight from the squirt bottle when my
stomach said that my electrolites were out of balance.

I was nearly home by then, and had used all my back-up bandaids to
replace bandaids that had sweated off.

--
Joy Beeson, U.S.A., mostly central Hoosier,
some Northern Indiana, Upstate New York, Florida, and Hawaii

Must Be The Season of the Mud Tom Kunich[_4_] Racing 3 September 21st 17 11:09 AM
open season ray Australia 7 August 10th 08 11:47 AM
First Bug of the Season Stephen Harding General 13 April 21st 06 02:54 PM
Know what I like about season over [email protected] Mountain Biking 5 September 17th 04 04:33 PM
Magpie season again Il Capitano Australia 12 September 13th 04 03:00 AM