trains

Old January 21st 08, 10:26 PM posted to aus.bicycle
ray

Default trains

First we're banned, now we're not. The other front page Age story this
morning was that they've just discovered the Port Phillip channel
dredging will lead to increased truck traffic. Like, DER. And this is
being used as an excuse for the useless East-West fumeway that VicRoads
first planned in the 1950s.
There's a perfectly good standard gauge rail system to the container
terminals, but that didn't even get mentioned. You have to wonder where
these turkeys are coming from.
Cheers,
Ray
Old January 22nd 08, 06:30 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Rory Williams[_28_]

ray Wrote:
.
There's a perfectly good standard gauge rail system to the container
terminals, but that didn't even get mentioned. You have to wonder
where
these turkeys are coming from.
Cheers,
Ray

I'm not sure if the railway is continious down to the terminals that
are direcly on Hobsons bay (Appleton docks?). My recollection of the
rail link was that it went over the bridge beside the Charles Grimes
bridge. This bridge has now been converted to pedestrian / cycle and
the tracks removed. There are lots of tracks down around those docks,
(look down as you go over the westgate) but I don't see how they are
linked into the network.

It all looks like a major bit of short-sightedness. The rail links
were there but I expect they were swallowed up in the rush to build all
those apartments down in docklands

RoryW

--
Rory Williams

Old January 22nd 08, 08:50 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Ted Linnell

Rory Williams
wrote:

ray Wrote:
.
[...]

Very short sighted.
There are no longer any rail links to the docks South of the river,
including the main container terminal at Webb Dock.

All got removed with the development of the Light Rail (tram) to Port
Melbourne and St Kilda and the docklands residential/office
development.

Regards,

Ted.
| Ted Linnell |
| |
| Nunawading, Victoria , Australia |
Old January 22nd 08, 10:34 AM posted to aus.bicycle
obakesan

Hi

my apology for tangental bicycle content.

I'm in finland at the moment, and on a fare across the country (west to east)
a bicycle costs about 12 bucks.

There's a perfectly good standard gauge rail system to the container
terminals, but that didn't even get mentioned. You have to wonder
where
these turkeys are coming from.

It all looks like a major bit of short-sightedness. The rail links

Very short sighted.
There are no longer any rail links to the docks South of the river,
including the main container terminal at Webb Dock.

reminds me of the rail link to the Gold Coast which used to exist between
Beenleigh and Southport. This was ripped up and the iron sold for scrap back
in the 60's. Cos there was a highway upgrade in the wind and well, people
just needed to bring cars to Main Beach.

As to short sightedness, well I've even heard that the contract to dispose of
the scrap was filled before the official tendering process. Its hard to just
keep dismissing this as short sightedness.

This is not just idle conjecture, there's even recent Masters Thesises written
on the filure of our government to attain its own sustainable transport
initiatives.

:-)

See Ya
(when bandwidth gets better ;-)

Chris Eastwood
Photographer, Programmer
Motorcyclist and dingbat

please remove undies for reply
Old January 25th 08, 08:06 AM posted to aus.bicycle
PeteSig[_2_]

"Rory Williams" wrote:

ray Wrote:
.
There's a perfectly good standard gauge rail system to the container
terminals, but that didn't even get mentioned. You have to wonder
where
these turkeys are coming from.
Cheers,
Ray

I'm not sure if the railway is continious down to the terminals that
are direcly on Hobsons bay (Appleton docks?).

Appleton Dock is on the Yarra, it's the Webb Dock container terminal that's
down at Port Melbourne, with no rail access.

The dredging is to occur in the river, that's part of the controversy, all
about very toxic sediments that need to be disposed in a suitable safe
manner. Burn them, toxic dump landfill (where? your backyard?), dump out in
the ocean (uncontrolled), or dump in Port Phillip Bay (with some measure of
containment). Decisions, decisions!

Appleton Dock has the standard gauge rail link, and it is being upgraded as
we speak to remove at least two level crossings on Footscray Rd and Dynon
Rd.

--
Cheers
Peter

~~~ ~ _@

Bikes on trains and DRL Alex Potter UK 9 December 15th 06 11:27 PM
Bikes on Trains Tony Raven UK 4 October 16th 05 10:15 AM
Cycles on trains al Mossah UK 11 October 2nd 05 09:42 PM
Road trains Martin Dann UK 15 September 14th 05 06:36 PM
Cycles and trains Bryan UK 11 August 7th 05 01:33 PM