Do *You* Hate Motorists? Take The Test

Old May 1st 09, 03:40 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Brimstone[_8_]

Default Do *You* Hate Motorists? Take The Test

mileburner wrote:

Our former head said exactly the same. But now there is one and the
road has become difficult for traffic to navigate.

My personal feeling is that that the school *should* take
responsibility for the traffic it generates and deal with it
accordingly. However, we always seem to end up with an eternal
triangle of blame dodging: The school say it is a police matter, the
police say it is a council matter and the council say it is a school
matter. ******s - the lot of 'em.

And yet if it were a commercial company/s at the centre of such congestion
then the authorities would be down on them like a ton of bricks.

As you say, ******s.

Old May 1st 09, 06:16 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Just zis Guy, you know?[_2_]

On Fri, 1 May 2009 15:01:00 +0100, "Dave Larrington"
wrote:

Unfortunately, they skimped a bit on their preparatory research and called
it "James Earl Ray Street".

It's OK, I don't think anyone will notice. Apart from that Obama guy,
maybe.

Guy
--
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk/urc | http://www.nohelmetlaw.org.uk/

simple, neat and wrong" - HL Mencken

Newsgroup may contain nuts.
Old May 1st 09, 08:09 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
judith smith

On Fri, 1 May 2009 11:39:29 +0100, "Mr Benn" %%%@%.%% wrote:

"Just zis Guy, you know?" wrote in message
.. .
On Fri, 1 May 2009 10:54:45 +0100, "Mr Benn" %%%@%.%% wrote:

if a school teaching safe cycling and not at the same
time reminding the parents that the biggest risk to their children is
them and their friends in their cars, then we are back to the 1970s
era of the Tufty Club and training our kids in car supremacism.

Do you mean the Green Cross Code?

No, I mean the Tufty Club.

I see. Don't you think that educating children in road safety issues is a
good idea?

Crispin who is a teacher and I believe teaches road safety cannot
bring himself to recommend pupils wear cycle helmets.

He would rather tell a child to ask their mum or dad.

--

"Primary position" the middle of a traffic lane. To take the "primary position" : to ride a bike in the middle of the lane in order to obstruct other road vehicles from overtaking.

A term invented by and used by psycholists and not recognised in the Highway Code.

Highway Code Rule 168 : "Never obstruct drivers who wish to pass."

Old May 1st 09, 08:17 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
judith smith

On Fri, 01 May 2009 14:35:56 +0100, "Just zis Guy, you know?"
wrote:

On Fri, 1 May 2009 11:39:29 +0100, "Mr Benn" %%%@%.%% wrote:

if a school teaching safe cycling and not at the same
time reminding the parents that the biggest risk to their children is
them and their friends in their cars, then we are back to the 1970s
era of the Tufty Club and training our kids in car supremacism.
Do you mean the Green Cross Code?
No, I mean the Tufty Club.

I see. Don't you think that educating children in road safety issues is a
good idea?

Whatever gave you that idea?

So Chapman does not think that educating children in road safety
issues is a good idea.

I must admit I am not surprised.

This is from the guy who cannot tell us why he recommends to his
children that they wear cycle helmets - even though he *knows* they
are such a bad thing.

Mind you he thought that less than half a dozen children saying that
rode faster when wearing a helmet proved Risk Compensation - so he;s
not that bright.

--
I encourage my children to wear helmets. (Guy Chapman)
I have never said that I encourage my children to wear helmets. (Guy

Old May 1st 09, 08:21 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
judith smith

On Fri, 01 May 2009 14:46:34 +0100, "Just zis Guy, you know?"
wrote:

snip

That's made me a little sad, though, because I remember how much I
miss the lovely John Milne (http://www.adinjc.org.uk/aims.html). He
was a really nice guy, a lot like John Franklin - very thoughtful,
calm, and unjudgmental. A thoroughly decent man.

Guy

Was he on your list of famous people you have met?

Is that why you are so sad?

Old May 2nd 09, 11:00 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,alt.usenet.legends.lester-mosley
marika

"Phil W Lee" phil(at)lee-family(dot)me(dot)uk wrote in message

Even better then - painting a cycle lane will leave the road too
narrow for motor vehicles.

What a surprise!

mk5000

"I've been carrying you so long I have scoliosis"--Tom Cavanaugh

Old May 3rd 09, 08:03 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Doug[_3_]

On 1 May, 15:40, "Brimstone" wrote:
mileburner wrote:
Our former head said exactly the same. But now there is one and the
road has become difficult for traffic to navigate.

My personal feeling is that that the school *should* take
responsibility for the traffic it generates and deal with it
accordingly. However, we always seem to end up with an eternal
triangle of blame dodging: The school say it is a police matter, the
police say it is a council matter and the council say it is a school
matter. ******s - the lot of 'em.

And yet if it were a commercial company/s at the centre of such congestion
then the authorities would be down on them like a ton of bricks.

As you say, ******s.

No the problem is that the car culture is so powerful and has
permeated every aspect of our society that nobody, apart from a few
like me, dare oppose it. Don't forget too that those ******s are
statistically more than likely to be motorists themselves.

Two schools near me have large free car parks for their teachers and
virtually no cycle parking.

--
World Carfree Network
http://www.worldcarfree.net/
Old May 3rd 09, 08:25 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Brimstone[_8_]

mileburner wrote:
[...]

Here is evidence that Doug will never allow anyone to agree with him.

Old May 3rd 09, 09:55 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
mileburner

mileburner wrote:
[...]

That's because there is no demand for them. Like you say "car culture is so
powerful and has permeated every aspect of our society" that nobody is going
to cycle a short distance when they could use their own personal automotive
transport instead.

Old May 3rd 09, 11:12 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_5_]

mileburner wrote:
[...]

What does "virtually no cycle-parking" mean?

"Virtually" must be one of the most poorly-understood and most-frequently
misused words in English.

Chapman's OWN Web Page: "I Hate Motorists" Chapman Is A Liar UK 15 October 22nd 08 04:29 AM
I Still Hate Motorists, Even Though I've Just Changed My Site To Attempt To Cover It Up Just zis Guy, you know?[_2_] UK 7 October 19th 08 11:32 PM
I Hate Motorists _[_4_] UK 4 October 10th 08 06:57 PM
Testosterone test: isotope test gabriel faure Racing 66 August 3rd 06 09:15 PM
Motorists will even hate us more now Peter Wilson Australia 8 August 5th 05 03:17 AM