Tim to enforce misuse of the horn

Old May 5th 19, 11:07 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Jester

Default Tim to enforce misuse of the horn

On Sunday, May 5, 2019 at 8:33:17 PM UTC+1, wrote:
On Sunday, May 5, 2019 at 4:03:55 PM UTC+1, Simon Jester wrote:
On Saturday, May 4, 2019 at 9:28:33 PM UTC+1, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:

Bloody hell you are boring!

With a lot of money, a loving wife and early retirement.

Same here!

How many cats own you?

Old May 6th 19, 11:01 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling

On Sunday, May 5, 2019 at 11:07:22 PM UTC+1, Simon Jester wrote:
On Sunday, May 5, 2019 at 8:33:17 PM UTC+1, wrote:
On Sunday, May 5, 2019 at 4:03:55 PM UTC+1, Simon Jester wrote:
On Saturday, May 4, 2019 at 9:28:33 PM UTC+1, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:

Bloody hell you are boring!

With a lot of money, a loving wife and early retirement.

Same here!

How many cats own you?

Phoebe and Kaspa = 2.
Old May 6th 19, 11:19 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Jester

On Monday, May 6, 2019 at 11:02:00 AM UTC+1, wrote:
On Sunday, May 5, 2019 at 11:07:22 PM UTC+1, Simon Jester wrote:
On Sunday, May 5, 2019 at 8:33:17 PM UTC+1, wrote:
On Sunday, May 5, 2019 at 4:03:55 PM UTC+1, Simon Jester wrote:
On Saturday, May 4, 2019 at 9:28:33 PM UTC+1, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:

Bloody hell you are boring!

With a lot of money, a loving wife and early retirement.

Same here!

How many cats own you?

Phoebe and Kaspa = 2.

We have never allowed ourselves to be owned by cats but we do have Dianthus, Saruman of Many Collars, Dumbledore and Gandalf as visitors.

Old May 6th 19, 11:27 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Jester

On Sunday, May 5, 2019 at 8:39:57 AM UTC+1, MrCheerful wrote:

There is a simple answer: Do not get in other road users way, and do
not cut them up. Then there will be no hooting.

I went to the driving range this morning. It involves turning right from a 4 lane single carriageway into a dirt track. I indicated in plenty of time but oncoming traffic prevented an immediate turn.
Presumably you think that was my fault and I deserved to be 'hooted', the 'driver' behind seemed to think so.

Old May 9th 19, 09:56 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
TMS320

On 05/05/2019 15:36, MrCheerful wrote:
On 05/05/2019 09:41, Kerr-Mudd,John wrote:
On Sun, 05 May 2019 07:39:55 GMT, MrCheerful
wrote:

On 05/05/2019 02:28, Rob Morley wrote:
On Sat, 4 May 2019 11:35:12 -0700 (PDT)
Simon Jester wrote:

It may not have been the best phrased title in usenet history

Indeed not, but perfectly understandable - only a smug little pedant
with nothing to contribute would have made an issue of it.

but
the point was clear. Motorists seem to think the horn is to say 'get
out of my way', or 'you cut me up'.
This.

There is a simple answer:Â* Do not get in other road users way, and do
not cut them up.Â* Then there will be no hooting.

Here's a word from Pounder:
Pillock.

but that does answer the grievance, people rarely hoot accidentally, it
is usually because of something another road has done, or may be about
to do.
Therefore, if you behave sensibly and lawfully, it will be
unusual for anyone to hoot you, except as a warning of imminent danger,
and no-one should really object to that.

Which planet do you inhabit?
Old May 9th 19, 07:11 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Jester

Simon Jester wrote:

It may not have been the best phrased title in usenet history

Indeed not, but perfectly understandable - only a smug little pedant
with nothing to contribute would have made an issue of it.

but
the point was clear. Motorists seem to think the horn is to say 'get
out of my way', or 'you cut me up'.

This.

There is a simple answer: Do not get in other road users way, and do
not cut them up. Then there will be no hooting.

Here's a word from Pounder:
Pillock.

but that does answer the grievance, people rarely hoot accidentally

Precisely.

it is usually because of something another road has done

If is already done there is no need to hoot.

or may be about to do.

Bai Jove! I think he's got. 'About to do' is the key.

Therefore, if you behave sensibly and lawfully

Such as a cyclist riding in the correct centre lane position.

it will be unusual for anyone to hoot you, except as a warning of imminent danger,
and no-one should really object to that.

Cloud-cuckoo-land.cycling is that way

Old May 9th 19, 07:21 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Jester

Simon Jester wrote:

[...]

Nugentworld?
Prime Directive: Cyclists can do no right, Motorists can do no wrong.
Secondary Directive: Make vacuous posts about grammar or spelling because you have nothing useful to contribute and you just want to score points on people who make a fool of you.
Tertiary Directive: Move the goalposts rather than admit you are wrong.
Quaternary Directive: Throw your toys out of the pram at all opportunities.
Old May 10th 19, 09:06 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
TMS320

On 09/05/2019 19:11, Simon Jester wrote:
On Sunday, May 5, 2019 at 3:36:18 PM UTC+1, MrCheerful wrote:

or may be about to do.

Bai Jove! I think he's got. 'About to do' is the key.

So long as the hooter is doing whatever is necessary to reduce the danger.

I can only remember two occasions of witnessing correct use of the horn.

1) I was on foot in Barcelona waiting to cross a dual carriageway. The
hooter was in the lh lane overlapping another vehicle in the right hand
lane. The vehicle in the rh lane was drifting into the space the hooter
was already occupying. To distinguish from the situation of a vehicle
drifting into the space the hooter wanted to occupy.

2) I was cycling in France and a lorry was approaching from behind. The
driver hooted when he was 5 or more seconds away. The key is that if I
had not already seen the lorry, he did it in plenty of TIME for me to
prepare. Emphasis on the word time: if hooting is intended to be a
warning it can serve no possible purpose (and more likely to be counter
productive) when done at point blank range. Distance also attenuates the
noise to below a physically harmful level.

Old May 11th 19, 10:41 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
TMS320

On 06/05/2019 23:27, Simon Jester wrote:
On Sunday, May 5, 2019 at 8:39:57 AM UTC+1, MrCheerful wrote:

There is a simple answer: Do not get in other road users way, and
do not cut them up. Then there will be no hooting.

I went to the driving range this morning. It involves turning right
from a 4 lane single carriageway into a dirt track. I indicated in
plenty of time but oncoming traffic prevented an immediate turn.
Presumably you think that was my fault and I deserved to be 'hooted',
the 'driver' behind seemed to think so.

On one occasion I was being tailgated while doing 32 in a 30 limit. I
got hooted while making a left turn (*). You would have thought that
someone in a hurry would be pleased to have a clear piece of road to
catch up with the next vehicle.

(*) Must have been my fault that in a turn and irrespective of forward
speed, the velocity vectors change, so forcing a tailgater to come to a
near stop.