Name of screw that holds the rear brake cable

Old August 19th 19, 01:35 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AK[_2_]

Default Name of screw that holds the rear brake cable

The opening in the hex screw that holds the rear brake cable has become much looser than it used to be. What is the name of the part so I can order another one? (Hopefully they have some made of harder steel.)

https://imgur.com/a/JT76Qog
Old August 19th 19, 01:52 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 8/18/2019 7:35 PM, AK wrote:

The opening in the hex screw that holds the rear brake cable has become much looser than it used to be. What is the name of the part so I can order another one? (Hopefully they have some made of harder steel.)

https://imgur.com/a/JT76Qog

Oil the thread and ensure the wire is in the correct track.

Dry bolts and misplaced wires account for the greater bulk
of such complaints.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old August 19th 19, 02:25 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B. Slocomb

On Sun, 18 Aug 2019 17:35:54 -0700 (PDT), AK
wrote:

The opening in the hex screw that holds the rear brake cable has become much looser than it used to be. What is the name of the part so I can order another one? (Hopefully they have some made of harder steel.)

https://imgur.com/a/JT76Qog

It is simply a clamp bolt and the question is whether it holds the
brake cable tightly when it is tightened, If it does than I shouldn't
worry about it.

As the bolt should be clamping the cable between a flange or washer on
the bolt and the brake arm itself. When it is tightened it shouldn't
move at all.

Your picture looks a bit strange, but maybe it is the perspective. See
https://sheldonbrown.com/canti-direct.htmlto
from a slightly different angle.
--

Cheers,

John B.
Old August 19th 19, 03:11 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AK[_2_]

wrote:

The opening in the hex screw that holds the rear brake cable has become much looser than it used to be. What is the name of the part so I can order another one? (Hopefully they have some made of harder steel.)

https://imgur.com/a/JT76Qog

It is simply a clamp bolt and the question is whether it holds the
brake cable tightly when it is tightened, If it does than I shouldn't
worry about it.

As the bolt should be clamping the cable between a flange or washer on
the bolt and the brake arm itself. When it is tightened it shouldn't
move at all.

Your picture looks a bit strange, but maybe it is the perspective. See
https://sheldonbrown.com/canti-direct.htmlto
from a slightly different angle.
--

Cheers,

John B.

If that clamp bolt gets enlarged much more so my hex wrench slips, it will definitely be a big problem.

Old August 19th 19, 03:21 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

wrote:

[...]

I can't view your image, nor Mr Slocumb's but on most linear
(V) brakes, the cable anchor is just an m6x1.0 bolt.

For a cantilever carrier or arm anchor or a sidepull/
dual-pivot caliper it likely has to be a bicycle part.

Old August 19th 19, 03:28 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

wrote:

[...]

Are you positive you're using the correct size hex wrench? Some people
mistakenly grab a U.S. (inch) wrench and use it on metric screws that it
_almost_ fits.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old August 19th 19, 03:35 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

wrote:

[...]

Or the bolt is a softer material that causes the socket opening to enlarge when force is applied to it.

Obviously the guy needs a new bolt and Andrew told him what size that most likely is.

Cheers
Old August 19th 19, 03:56 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

wrote:

The opening in the hex screw that holds the rear brake cable has become much looser than it used to be. What is the name of the part so I can order another one? (Hopefully they have some made of harder steel.)
https://imgur.com/a/JT76Qog

Brake cable anchor bolt for V-brakes. Photos:
https://www.google.com/search?tbm=isch&q=bicycle+v-brake+brake+cable+anchor+bolt

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Old August 19th 19, 05:09 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AK[_2_]

wrote:

[...]

The bike is a Huffy Nighthawk Model 56347. The manual does not specify whether it uses American or metric sizes.

I have just a set of American hex wrenches but could get a set of metric wrenches and see if one of them fits the clamp bolt better.

Andy
Old August 19th 19, 06:25 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tosspot[_3_]

wrote:

[...]

A local bike shop may well have a spare one lying about, as people have
said, it's likely metric, there should be a clamp washer behind it (take
a look at another one on the street). I'd prefer a spare one before I
go medieval on its arse.