Interesting heart related observation on today's ride

Old August 19th 19, 08:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

Default Interesting heart related observation on today's ride

I went for a 40 kilometers ride today and the ride involved a fair bit of rolling hills. An interesting observation was that at the top of the hills my heart rate was nearly 20 bpm LOWER that when I was walking around my apartment or just standing around talking to someone.

Anyone else experience similar drops in heart rate whilst exercising compared to their normal heart rate?

Cheers
Old August 19th 19, 08:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 8/19/2019 2:09 PM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
I went for a 40 kilometers ride today and the ride involved a fair bit of rolling hills. An interesting observation was that at the top of the hills my heart rate was nearly 20 bpm LOWER that when I was walking around my apartment or just standing around talking to someone.

Anyone else experience similar drops in heart rate whilst exercising compared to their normal heart rate?

Cheers

What drugs do you recommend?

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old August 19th 19, 08:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Monday, August 19, 2019 at 3:28:44 PM UTC-4, AMuzi wrote:
On 8/19/2019 2:09 PM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
I went for a 40 kilometers ride today and the ride involved a fair bit of rolling hills. An interesting observation was that at the top of the hills my heart rate was nearly 20 bpm LOWER that when I was walking around my apartment or just standing around talking to someone.

Anyone else experience similar drops in heart rate whilst exercising compared to their normal heart rate?

Cheers

What drugs do you recommend?

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

Ah Andrew. I asked a serious question there. LOL

Cheers
Old August 19th 19, 08:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_2_]

On 19/08/2019 3:09 p.m., Sir Ridesalot wrote:
I went for a 40 kilometers ride today and the ride involved a fair bit of rolling hills. An interesting observation was that at the top of the hills my heart rate was nearly 20 bpm LOWER that when I was walking around my apartment or just standing around talking to someone.

Anyone else experience similar drops in heart rate whilst exercising compared to their normal heart rate?

Cheers

What are you using to measure your heart rate? If it's a smart watch,
you need to pay attention to the angle of your wrist. I use a watch
like that generally but not specific to cycling. So I tend to leave it
on when riding.

To track my cycling heart rate I use a chest strap. I know that the
watch is not very accurate with my wrists bent in cycling position.
Old August 19th 19, 09:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Monday, August 19, 2019 at 3:53:32 PM UTC-4, duane wrote:
On 19/08/2019 3:09 p.m., Sir Ridesalot wrote:
I went for a 40 kilometers ride today and the ride involved a fair bit of rolling hills. An interesting observation was that at the top of the hills my heart rate was nearly 20 bpm LOWER that when I was walking around my apartment or just standing around talking to someone.

Anyone else experience similar drops in heart rate whilst exercising compared to their normal heart rate?

Cheers

What are you using to measure your heart rate? If it's a smart watch,
you need to pay attention to the angle of your wrist. I use a watch
like that generally but not specific to cycling. So I tend to leave it
on when riding.

To track my cycling heart rate I use a chest strap. I know that the
watch is not very accurate with my wrists bent in cycling position.

Chest band heart rate monitor with a watch receiver.

Cheers
Old August 19th 19, 11:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B. Slocomb

On Mon, 19 Aug 2019 12:09:59 -0700 (PDT), Sir Ridesalot
wrote:

I went for a 40 kilometers ride today and the ride involved a fair bit of rolling hills. An interesting observation was that at the top of the hills my heart rate was nearly 20 bpm LOWER that when I was walking around my apartment or just standing around talking to someone.

Anyone else experience similar drops in heart rate whilst exercising compared to their normal heart rate?

Cheers

Your cardiologist will likely tell you that Heart Rate is directly
equated to energy expenditure. There is even a formula for heart rates
that used to be a common measurement of "out put". The basic maximum
rate was calculated as 220 - age in years and then percentages of
that number were used to indicate output:

Zone 1 = 50 - 60% Maximum For long, easy rides, to improve the
combustion and storage of fats.
Zone 2 = 60 - 70% The basic base training zone.
Longish rides of medium stress
Zone 3 = 70 - 80% For development of aerobic capacity
and endurance with moderate volume at very controlled intensity
Zone 4 = 80 - 90% For simulating pace when tapering
for a race.
Zone 5 = 90 - 100% For high-intensity interval
training to increase maximum power and speed
--

Cheers,

John B.
Old August 19th 19, 11:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B. Slocomb

On Mon, 19 Aug 2019 15:53:29 -0400, Duane
wrote:

On 19/08/2019 3:09 p.m., Sir Ridesalot wrote:
I went for a 40 kilometers ride today and the ride involved a fair bit of rolling hills. An interesting observation was that at the top of the hills my heart rate was nearly 20 bpm LOWER that when I was walking around my apartment or just standing around talking to someone.

Anyone else experience similar drops in heart rate whilst exercising compared to their normal heart rate?

Cheers

What are you using to measure your heart rate? If it's a smart watch,
you need to pay attention to the angle of your wrist. I use a watch
like that generally but not specific to cycling. So I tend to leave it
on when riding.

To track my cycling heart rate I use a chest strap. I know that the
watch is not very accurate with my wrists bent in cycling position.

If you want even more confusion your cardiologist will tell you that
there is "heart rate" and then there is "pulse rate" :-)
--

Cheers,

John B.
Old August 20th 19, 12:03 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mark J.

On 8/19/2019 12:09 PM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
I went for a 40 kilometers ride today and the ride involved a fair bit of rolling hills. An interesting observation was that at the top of the hills my heart rate was nearly 20 bpm LOWER that when I was walking around my apartment or just standing around talking to someone.

Anyone else experience similar drops in heart rate whilst exercising compared to their normal heart rate?

Not exactly what you asked, and probably won't explain your experience,
at least not fully, but:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skeletal-muscle_pump

My /perceived/ experience is that my heart rate continues to rise well
after I crest a climb, and indeed may jump upward right as I ease off at
the crest. This could all be me hallucinating; I've never followed it
really closely with the HRM.

If my perceptions are indeed correct, my best-guess explanation is that
while climbing, my leg muscles are doing a lot of blood-pumping. When I
coast at the crest, the "muscle-pump" shuts down and blood pressure
drops a bit, stimulating heart rate to rise.

Mark J.

Old August 20th 19, 01:52 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Radey Shouman

"Mark J." writes:

[...]

Is that how the control loop works? Obviously heart rate doesn't *just*
depend on blood pressure, because pressure rises significantly during
exercise. I would have guessed that the heart is roughly a positive
displacement pump, and the heart rate is more or less proportional to
the amount of O2 and/or CO2 that need transporting. How your body
figures that out I don't know.

It seems possible that the pressure setpoint is somehow set by metabolic
requirements, do you know if that is the case?